We wish to express our deep-felt appreciation and to acknowledge the vitally important contributions of the late Dr. N. Kent Eaton to Project A. He served as the first Contracting Officer's Representative (COR) for the project and as Chief of the Selection and Classification Technical Area at the Army Research Institute, which sponsored the project. He was a highly competent psychologist of great energy and dedication. Much of the project's success was because of his effort. We all will remember him for it.
AN OVERVIEW OF THE ARMY SELECTION AND CLASSIFICATION PROJECT (PROJECT A)
Article first published online: 7 DEC 2006
Volume 43, Issue 2, pages 231–239, June 1990
How to Cite
CAMPBELL, J. P. (1990), AN OVERVIEW OF THE ARMY SELECTION AND CLASSIFICATION PROJECT (PROJECT A). Personnel Psychology, 43: 231–239. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-6570.1990.tb01556.x
Special thanks are also due to Dr. Lawrence M. Hanser and Dr. Darlene M. Olson, who succeeded Dr. Eaton as Project CORs, and to the many other scientists at ARI who contributed so much to this effort.
Finally, Project A would not ever have begun without the work of Dr. Joyce Shields, now at Hay Systems. While she was at ARI, she was instrumental in developing the basic form of the project and securing the necessary commitment and funding that made the Request for Proposals possible.
The research reported here was funded by the U.S. Army Research Institute for the Behavioral and Social Sciences, Contract No. MDA903-82-C-0531. All statements expressed in this paper are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect the official opinions or policies of the U.S. Army Research Institute or the Department of the Army.
- Issue published online: 7 DEC 2006
- Article first published online: 7 DEC 2006
This article has been cited by:
- 2The Dual Effects of Organizational Citizenship Behavior: Relationships to Research Productivity and Career Outcomes in Academe, Human Performance, 2014, 27, 2, 99, , , ,
- 3The Role of Range Restriction and Criterion Contamination in Assessing Differential Validity by Race/Ethnicity, Journal of Business and Psychology, 2013, 28, 3, 345, , ,
- You have free access to this content4
- You have free access to this content5
- 8Leniency: Hidden threat to large-scale, interview-based selection systems., Military Psychology, 2011, 23, 6, 601, ,
- 9The interaction of self-monitoring and organizational position on perceived effort, Journal of Managerial Psychology, 2011, 26, 2, 138, , , ,
- You have free access to this content10
- 11The Effect of Organizational Justice on Contextual Performance, Counterproductive Work Behaviors, and Task Performance: Investigating the moderating role of ability-based emotional intelligence, International Journal of Selection and Assessment, 2010, 18, 1, ,
- 12Risk factors for misconduct in a navy sample., Military Psychology, 2009, 21, 2, 252, , , , ,
- 14Capturing interpersonal performance in a latent performance model., Military Psychology, 2007, 19, 2, 83, , ,
- 18Using Measures Of Specific Abilities To Predict Training Performance in Canadian Forces Operator Occupations., Military Psychology, 2004, 16, 3, 183, ,
- 19EXPANDING THE PERFORMANCE DOMAIN: WHO SAYS NICE GUYS FINISH LAST?, The International Journal of Organizational Analysis, 2003, 11, 2, 137, , , ,
- 202003,, , , , , ,
- 22Handbook of Psychological Assessment, 2000,, , ,
- 23360° ratings: An analysis of assumptions and a research agenda for evaluating their validity, Human Resource Management Review, 1997, 7, 3, 299,
- 24PERSONNEL SELECTION, Annual Review of Psychology, 1997, 48, 1, 299, , ,
- 25The big five personality factors and team performance: implications for selecting successful product design teams, Journal of Engineering and Technology Management, 1997, 14, 3-4, 195, ,
- 27Measures of cognitive processes: Their stability and other psychometric and measurement properties, Intelligence, 1993, 17, 3, 361,