Received 24 October 2005; revision accepted 21 November 2005.
Momentum Drives the Crash: Mass Extinction in the Tropics1
Article first published online: 4 APR 2006
Volume 38, Issue 3, pages 302–305, May 2006
How to Cite
Brook, B. W., Bradshaw, C. J. A., Koh, L. P. and Sodhi, N. S. (2006), Momentum Drives the Crash: Mass Extinction in the Tropics. Biotropica, 38: 302–305. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2006.00141.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 4 APR 2006
- 2004. When good animals love bad habitats: Ecological traps and the conservation of animal populations. Conserv. Biol. 18: 1482–1491.
- and . 1997. Socioeconomic factors and tropical deforestation. Nature 386: 562–563. ,
- 2005. Long-range trends in adult mortality: Models and projection methods. Demography 42: 23–49.
- and . 2003. Catastrophic extinctions follow deforestation in Singapore. Nature 424: 420–423. , ,
- and . 1999. Time lag between deforestation and bird extinction in tropical forest fragments. Conserv. Biol. 13: 1140–1150. , ,
- and . 2002. Habitat loss and extinction in the hotspots of biodiversity. Conserv. Biol. 16: 909–923. , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1994. Directions in conservation biology. J. Anim. Ecol. 63: 215–244.
- and . 2000. Tropical forests and shifting cultivation: Secondary forest fallow dynamics among traditional farmers of the Peruvian Amazon. Ecol. Econ. 32: 109–124. , ,
- and . 2000. Tree species impoverishment and the future flora of the Atlantic forest of northeast Brazil. Nature 404: 72–74. ,
- and . 2004. Conserving tropical nature: Current challenges for ecologists. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 12–17. , ,
- 2004. Recovery of faunal communities during tropical forest regeneration. Conserv. Biol. 18: 302–309.
- Gibson, C. C., M. A. McKean, and T. Ostrom. (Eds.). 2000. People and forests: Communities, Institutions and Governance. The MIT Press, Cambridge , Massachusetts .
- and . 2003. The ecological consequences of socioeconomic and land-use changes in postagriculture Puerto Rico. BioScience 53: 1159–1168. , , , , ,
- and . 1992. Species extinctions in tropical forests. In T. C. Whitmore and J. A. Sauer (Eds.). Tropical deforestation and species extinction, pp. 91–117. Chapman & Hall, London . ,
- 1986. The future of tropical ecology. Ann. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 17: 305–324.
- and . 2004. Atmospheric CO2 records from sites in the SIO air sampling network. In Trends: A compendium of data on global change. Carbon Dioxide Information Analysis Center, U.S. Department of Energy, Oak Ridge , Tennessee . ,
- 2004. Isle of fire. The political ecology of landscape burning in Madagasgar. University of Chicago Press, Chicago .
- 1999. Reflections on the tropical deforestation crisis. Biol. Conserv. 91: 109–117.
- 2001. Human-caused climate warming: Implications for practically everything. In Solutions for an environment in Peril, pp. 141–155. The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore , Maryland .
- 2000. Origin and evolution of tropical rain forests. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester , UK .
- and . 2005. Lowland rainforest avifauna and human disturbance: Persistence of primary forest birds in selectively logged forests and mixed-rural habitats of southern Peninsular Malaysia. Biol. Conserv. 123: 489–505. , , , ,
- 1986. Are we on the verge of a mass extinction in tropical rain forests? In D. K. Elliott (Ed.). Dynamics of extinction, pp. 165–180. Wiley, New York .
- and . 2006. Southeast Asian biodiversity in crisis. Cambridge University Press, London , UK . ,
- and . 2004. Southeast Asian biodiversity: An impending disaster. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 654–659. , , ,
- and . 2006. High sensitivity of montane bird communities to habitat disturbance in Peninsular Malaysia. Biol. Conserv. 129: 149–166. , ,
- and . 1994. Habitat destruction and the extinction debt. Nature 371: 65–66. , , ,
- and . 1997. Tree species richness in primary and old secondary tropical forest in Singapore. Biodivers. Conserv. 6: 537–543. , , ,
- 2005. Tropical forests in a changing environment. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 553–560.
- and . 2006. The future of tropical forest species. Biotropica 38: XXX–XXX. ,