Received 15 February 2005; revision accepted 1 August 2005.
The Future of Tropical Forest Species1
Article first published online: 28 MAR 2006
Volume 38, Issue 3, pages 287–301, May 2006
How to Cite
Wright, S. J. and Muller-Landau, H. C. (2006), The Future of Tropical Forest Species. Biotropica, 38: 287–301. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2006.00154.x
- Issue published online: 4 APR 2006
- Article first published online: 28 MAR 2006
- and . 2002. Determination of deforestation rates of the world's humid tropical forests. Science 297: 999–1002. , , , , , ,
- and . 2004. Ecology—Globalization, migration, and Latin American ecosystems. Science 305: 1915–1916. ,
- and . 2001. The economics of tropical deforestation. J. Econ. Surv. 15: 413–433. ,
- and . 1997. Socioeconomic factors and tropical deforestation. Nature 386: 562–563. ,
- and . 1996. Atlantic forest extinctions. Nature 380: 115. ,
- and . 2004. Coverage provided by the global protected-area system: Is it enough? Bioscience 54: 1081–1091. , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2002. Habitat loss and extinction in the hotspots of biodiversity. Conserv. Biol. 16: 909–923. , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 1999. Time lag between deforestation and bird extinction in tropical forest fragments. Conserv. Biol. 13: 1140–1150. , ,
- Brown, K., and D. W. Pearce (Eds.). 1994. The causes of tropical deforestation. University of British Columbia Press, Vancouver .
- and 2001. Effectiveness of parks in protecting tropical biodiversity. Science 291: 125–128. , , ,
- and . 1998. Tree species diversity in commercially logged Bornean rainforest. Science 281: 1366–1368. , ,
- 2003. Tropical forest recovery: Legacies of human impact and natural disturbances. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 6: 51–71.
- and . 2003. Tropical rain forest tree growth and atmospheric carbon dynamics linked to interannual temperature variation during 1984–2000. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 100: 5852–5857. , , ,
- and . 2004. Lowland forest loss in protected areas of Indonesian Borneo. Science 303: 1000–1003. , , , , , , ,
- and . 2002. Carbon emissions from tropical deforestation and regrowth based on satellite observations for the 1980s and 1990s. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 99: 14256–14261. , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Global state of biodiversity and loss. Annu. Rev. Environ. Resour. 28: 137–167. ,
- 2004. Recovery of faunal communities during tropical forest regeneration. Conserv. Biol. 18: 302–309.
- FAO. 2000. Global forest resource assessment 2000—Main report. FAO Forestry Paper 140, United Nations Food and Agricultural Organization, New York .
- 1994. The rate and extent of deforestation in Brazilian Amazonia. Environ. Conserv. X: 213–226.
- and . 2004. Accelerating deforestation in Brazilian Amazonia: Towards answering open questions. Environ. Conserv. 31: 7–10. ,
- and . 2002. Proximate causes and underlying driving forces of tropical deforestation. Bioscience 52: 143–150. ,
- and . 1999. From pre-Hispanic to future conservation alternatives: Lessons from Mexico. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 96: 5982–5986. ,
- and . 2005. Farming and the fate of wild nature. Science 307: 550–555. , , ,
- and . 2004. Detecting long-term global forest change using continuous fields of tree-cover maps from 8-km advanced very high resolution radiometer (AVHRR) data for the years 1982–99. Ecosystems 7: 695–716. ,
- and . 1996. BIOME3: An equilibrium terrestrial biosphere model based on ecophysiological constraints, resource availability, and competition among plant functional types. Glob. Biogeochem. Cycles 10: 693–709. ,
- and . 2000. Annual fluxes or carbon from deforestation and regrowth in the Brazilian Amazon. Nature 403: 301–304. , , , , ,
- 1988. Tropical dry forests: The most endangered major tropical ecosystem. In E. O. Wilson (Ed.): Biodiversity, pp. 130–137. National Academy Press, Washington , District of Columbia .
- 2001. The future of the Brazilian Amazon. Science 291: 988.
- and . 2004. Pervasive alteration of tree communities in undisturbed Amazonian forests. Nature 428: 171–175. , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2004. Fingerprinting the impacts of global change on tropical forests. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 359: 437–462. , ,
- and . 2004. Emerging forests on abandoned land: Puerto Rico's new forests. For. Ecol. Manage. 190: 145–161. ,
- and . 2004. Spatial patterns and recent trends in the climate of tropical rainforest regions. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B Biol. Sci. 359: 311–329. ,
- 2001. Understanding the FRA 2000. World Resources Institute, Washington , District of Columbia .
- Millennium Ecosystem Assessment. 2005. Ecosystems and human well-being: Biodiversity synthesis. World Resources Institute, Washington , District of Columbia .
- 2000. Origin and evolution of tropical rain forests. John Wiley & Sons, New York , New York .
- 2002. Biodiversity and biodepletion: The need for a paradigm shift. In T. O'Riordan and S. Stoll-Kleeman (Eds.). Biodiversity, sustainability and human communities, pp. 46–60. Cambridge Univ. Press, Cambridge , England .
- and . 2000. Biodiversity hotspots for conservation priorities. Nature 403: 853–858. , , , ,
- and . 2002. Increasing dominance of large lianas in Amazonian forests. Nature 418: 770–774. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 1995. Forest losses predict bird extinctions in eastern North America. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 92: 9343–9347. ,
- and . 2000. The sixth extinction: How large, where and when? In P. H. Raven and T. Williams (Eds.). Nature and Human Society: The quest for a sustainable world, pp. 46–62. National Academy, Washington , District of Columbia . ,
- and . 1995. The future of biodiversity. Science 269: 347–350. , , ,
- and . 1999. Estimating historical changes in global land cover: Croplands from 1700 to 1992. Glob. Biogeochem. Cycles 13: 997–1027. ,
- and . 2004. Global gap analysis: Priority regions for expanding the global protected-area network. Bioscience 54: 1092–1100. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2004. South East Asian biodiversity: An impending disaster. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 654–660. , , ,
- 1999. Requiem for nature. Island Press, Washington , District of Columbia .
- and . 2002. Long-term effect of timber harvesting in the Bartica Triangle, Central Guyana. For. Ecol. Manage. 170: 127–144. , ,
- and . 1997. Tree species richness in primary and old secondary tropical forest in Singapore. Biodiv. Conserv. 6: 537–543. , , ,
- United Nations. 2001. World population prospects: The 2001 revision. Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, New York .
- United Nations. 2004a. World urbanization prospects: The 2003 revision. Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, New York .
- United Nations. 2004b. World population by 2300. United Nations, Division of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, New York .
- and . 2005. From dimming to brightening: Decadal changes in solar radiation at Earth's surface. Science 308: 847–850. , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2004. How "virgin" is virgin rainforest. Science 304: 402–403. , ,
- 2003. The myriad effects of hunting for vertebrates and plants in tropical forests. Perspect. Plant Ecol. Evol. Syst. 6: 73–86.
- 2005. Tropical forests in a changing environment. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 553–560.
- and . 2004. The future of tropical forests. Tropinet 15: 1–2. ,
- and . 2006. Seasonal, El Niño and longer term changes in flower and seed production in a moist tropical forest. Ecol. Lett. 9: 35–44. ,
- and . 2004. Are lianas increasing in importance in tropical forests? A 17-year record from Panama. Ecology 85: 494–489. , , ,