Phylogenetic Age is Positively Correlated with Sensitivity to Timber Harvest in Bornean Mammals
Article first published online: 18 JUL 2007
Volume 40, Issue 1, pages 76–85, January 2008
How to Cite
Meijaard, E., Sheil, D., Marshall, A. J. and Nasi, R. (2008), Phylogenetic Age is Positively Correlated with Sensitivity to Timber Harvest in Bornean Mammals. Biotropica, 40: 76–85. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2007.00340.x
- Issue published online: 18 JUL 2007
- Article first published online: 18 JUL 2007
- Received 1 January 2007; revision accepted 2 April 2007.
- 1974. A new look at the statistical model identification. IEEE Trans. Autom. Control 19: 716–723.
- and . 2001. Molecular phylogeny and divergence time estimates for major rodent groups: Evidence from multiple genes. Mol. Biol. Evol. 18: 777–791. , , ,
- and . 2003. A new phylogenetic marker, apolipoprotein B, provides compelling evidence for eutherian relationships. Mol. Phyl. Evol. 28: 225–240. , , ,
- 1996. Extinction filters and current resilience: The significance of past selection pressures for conservation biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 11: 193–196.
- and . 2001. The inter-relationships of commercial logging, hunting and wildlife in Sarawak, and recommendations for forest management. In R. A.Fimbel, A.Grajal, and J. G.Robinson (Eds.). The cutting edge: Conserving wildlife in logged tropical forest, pp. 359–374. Columbia University Press, New York , New York . ,
- and . 1999. Building large trees by combining phylogenetic information: A complete phylogeny of the extant Carnivora (Mammalia). Biol. Rev. 74: 143–175. , ,
- and . 1993. The relationships between abundance and body size in natural assemblages. J. Anim. Ecol. 62: 519–528. , , , , ,
- and (1998) Logging and tropical forest conservation. Science 280: 1899–1900. , , ,
- and . 1999. Growing up with dinosaurs: Molecular dates and the mammalian radiation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 14: 113–118. , ,
- 2003. Biological determinants of extinction risk: Why are smaller species less vulnerable? Anim. Conserv. 6: 63–69.
- and . 2003. Geographic range size, life history and rates of diversification in Australian mammals. J. Evol. Biol. 16: 282–288. , ,
- and . 2005. Multiple causes of high extinction risk in large mammal species. Science 309: 1239–1241. , , , , , , ,
- and . 2006. Latent extinction risk and the future battlegrounds of mammal conservation. Proc. Nat. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 103: 4157–4161. , , ,
- and . 2006. Range-restricted, specialist Bornean butterflies are less likely to recover from ENSO-induced disturbance. Ecology 87: 2330–2337. , ,
- and . 1992. The mammals of the Indomalayan region: A systematic review. Oxford University Press, Oxford , UK . ,
- and . 1996. K-Casein gene phylogeny of higher ruminants (Pecora, Artiodactyla). Mol. Phyl. Evol. 6: 295–311. , , ,
- and . 2004. A synergistic effect puts rare, specialized species at greater risk of extinction. Ecology 85: 265–271. , ,
- and . 1989. Comparisons of treatments after an analysis of variance in ecology. Ecol. Monogr. 59: 433–463. ,
- and . 1984. A survey of wildlife in and around commercial tree plantation in Sabah. Malay. For. 47: 197–213. , ,
- and . 1999 Species richness, species range size and ecological specialisation among African primates: Geographical patterns and conservation implications. Biodivers. Conserv. 8: 1033–1056. ,
- and . 2001. Characterizing population vulnerability for 758 species. Ecol. Lett. 4: 132–138. , , , ,
- and . 1998. The potential for sustainable forest management to conserve wildlife within tropical forest landscapes. Issues and Policy Paper no. 4. Wildlife Conservation Society, New York , New York . , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2004. The comparative method in conservation biology. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 391–398. ,
- and . 2007. Preserving the evolutionary potential of floras in biodiversity hotspots. Nature 445: 757–760. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- FSC. 2000. FSC principles and criteria. Document 1.2 Forest Stewardship Council, Bonn , Germany .
- and . 2003. Loss of forest cover in Kalimantan, Indonesia, since the 1997–1998 El Niño. Conserv. Biol. 18: 249–254. , ,
- and . 1997. Evolutionary age and risk of extinction in the global avifauna. Evol. Ecol. 11: 557–565. ,
- and . 2000. Pattern and process in macroecology. MacMillan Publishers Ltd, London , UK . ,
- 1989. The phylogenetic regression. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. London, Lond. B. 326: 119–157.
- and . 2000. Interspecific relationships and biogeography of some Bornean tree shrews (Tupaiidae: Tupaia), based on DNA hybridization and morphometric comparison. Biol. J. Linn. Soc. 70: 1–14. , ,
- and . 2002. Rarity, specialization and extinction in primates. J. Biogeogr. 29: 445–456. , ,
- and . 1993. Asdell's patterns of mammalian reproduction. Cornell University Press, Ithaca , New York . , ,
- 1984. Mammalian species richness on islands on the Sunda Shelf, Southeast Asia. Oecologia 61: 11–17.
- and . 2004. Predictors of species sensitivity to fragmentation. Biodivers. Conserv. 13: 207–251. , , , ,
- and . 2004. How species respond to multiple extinction threats. Proc. R. Soc. Biol. Lond. B 271: 1135–1141. ,
- IUCN. 2006. 2006 IUCN Red List of Threatened Species.
- and . 2003. Bringing home the biggest bacon: A cross-site analysis of the structure of hunter-kill profiles in Neotropical forests. Biol. Conserv. 111: 415–425. ,
- JMP. 2003. SAS Institute , Cary , North Carolina .
- 1997. Timber production and biodiversity conservation in tropical rainforests. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK .
- and . 1987. Responses of rainforest primates to habitat disturbance: A review. Int. J. Primatol. 8: 157–191. ,
- and . 2002. Phylogeny and the selectivity of extinction in Australian marsupials. Anim. Conserv. 5: 135–142. , ,
- and . 2002. The future for Sundaic lowland forest birds: Long-term effects of commercial logging and fragmentation. Forktail 18: 127–146. ,
- and . 1994. Evolutionary perspectives on human nutrition: The influence of brain and body size on diet and metabolism. Am. J. Hum. Biol. 6: 77–88. ,
- and . 1985. Seasonality, fasting endurance, and body size in mammals. Am. Nat. 125: 873–878. ,
- and . 2005. Patterns of rarity and taxonomic group size in plants. Biol. Conserv. 126: 146–154. ,
- and . 2005. New phylogenetic perspectives among south-east Asian wild pig species based on mtDNA sequences and morphometric data. J. Zool. 266: 25–35. , , , ,
- 1999. Will concern for biodiversity spell doom to tropical forest management? Sc. Tot. Env. 240: 123–131.
- and . 1987. Effects of habitat disturbance on rain forest primates. In C. W.Marsh and R. A.Mittermeier (Eds.). Primate conservation in the tropical rain forest, pp. 83–107. Alan R. Liss, Inc., New York , New York . , ,
- 2003a. Mammals of south-east Asian islands and their Late Pleistocene environments. J. Biogeogr. 30: 1245–1257.
- 2003b. Solving mammalian riddles. A reconstruction of the Tertiary and Quaternary distribution of mammals and their palaeoenvironments in island south-east Asia. PhD Dissertation. Department of Anthropology and Archaeology, Australian National University, Canberra, Australia . Available at http://thesis.anu.edu.au/public/adt-ANU20050924.221423/index.html
- and . 2004a. The biogeographical evolution and phylogeny of the genus Presbytis. Prim. Rep. 68: 71–90. ,
- and . 2004b. Morphometrical relationships between south-east Asian Cervinae: Evolutionary and biogeographic implications. J. Zool. 263: 179–196. ,
- and . 2007. What is missing from wildlife and conservation research: A case study involving vertebrates of Borneo. Biodivers. Conserv. DOI DOI: 10.1007/s10531-007-9161-y ,
- and . 2005. Life after logging: Reconciling wildlife conservation and production forestry in Indonesian Borneo CIFOR, WCS and UNESCO, Bogor, Indonesia. Available at: http://www.cifor.cgiar.org/publications/pdf_files/books/BMeijaard0501E0.pdf , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. The effects of Cenozoic global change on squirrel phylogeny. Science 299: 1568–1572. ,
- 1991. A note on general definition of the coefficient of determination. Biometrika 78: 691–692.
- 2004. A farewell to Bonferroni: The problems of low statistical power and publication bias. Behav. Ecol. 15: 1044–1045.
- and . 2004. What are the best correlates of predicted extinction risk? Biol. Conserv. 118: 513–520. , , ,
- and . 2000. Coping with forest fragmentation: The primates of Kibale National Park, Uganda. Int. J. Primat. 21: 587–611. ,
- and . 2005. Is the originality of a species measurable? Ecol. Lett. 8: 579–586. , ,
- and . 2003. Sustainable forestry in the tropics: Panacea or folly? For. Ecol. Manage. 172: 229–247. , ,
- and . 2004. Evolution and phylogeny of Old World deer. Mol. Phyl. Evol. 33: 880–895. , , ,
- 2002. A fecundity to mortality ratio, population size variability and the chance for a mammal species to be listed on the Red List. Zhurnal Obshchei Biologii 63: 99–111.
- and . 2004. Primate phylogeny, evolutionary rate variations, and divergence times: A contribution from the nuclear Gene IRBP. Am. J. Phys. Anthropol. 124: 1–16. ,
- and . 2000. Predicting extinction risk in declining species. Proc. R. Soc. Biol. Lond. B 267: 1947–1952. , , ,
- and . 2000. Biodiversity conservation in the context of tropical forest management. WCS (Wildlife Conservation Society) and World Bank Environment Department, Biodiversity Series, Impact Studies, Paper Number 75 World Bank , Washington , DC . , , , ,
- and . 2006. Incorporating evolutionary measures into conservation prioritization. Conserv. Biol. 20: 1670–1678. ,
- and . 2000. Phylogenetic analysis of the tribe Bovini using microsatellites. Anim. Gen. 31: 178–185. , , ,
- and . 2004. A comparative analysis of specialization and extinction risk in temperate-zone bats. Conserv. Biol. 18: 1293–1303. ,
- and . 1985. Measuring the relationship between dietary quality and body size in primates. Primates 26: 14–27. , , ,
- and . 2000. The complete mitochondrial genome of Tupaia belangeri and the phylogenetic affiliation of Scandentia to other eutherian orders. Mol. Biol. Evol. 17: 1334–1343. , ,
- and . 2003. Towards sustainable management of mixed dipterocarp forests of south-east Asia: Moving beyond minimum diameter cutting limits. Env. Conserv. 30: 364–374. , , , ,
- and . 2004. Southeast Asian biodiversity: An impending disaster. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 654–660. , , ,
- SPSS. 2002. SPSS Standard Version. Release 11.5.0. SPSS Inc. Chicago , Illinois .
- 1995. Rules and judgements in statistics: Three examples. Ecology 76: 2001–2009.
- and . 1989. A survey of small mammals within a tree plantation in Malaysia. J. Trop. Ecol. 5: 203–214. ,
- and . 2000. Molecular systematics of the Asiatic Viverridae (Carnivora) inferred from mitochondrial cytochrome b sequence analysis. J. Zool. Syst. Evol. Res. 38: 209–217. ,
- and . 2000. Geographic range size and evolutionary age in birds. Proc. R. Soc. Biol. Lond. B 267: 1843–1850. ,
- 1982. Energetics of foraging in Macaca fascicularis and Pongo pygmaeus and a selective advantage of large body size in the orangutan. Primates 23: 348–363.
- and . 1993. Mammal species of the world. A taxonomic and geographic reference (2nd Ed). Smithsonian Institution Press, Washington , DC . ,
- and . 2007. Molecular phylogeny and evolutionary history of SE Asian macaques forming the “silenus-species- group”. Mol. Phyl. Evol. 42: 807–816. , , , , , ,