Amazon Forest Structure from IKONOS Satellite Data and the Automated Characterization of Forest Canopy Properties
Article first published online: 25 SEP 2007
2008 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2008 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 40, Issue 2, pages 141–150, March 2008
How to Cite
Palace, M., Keller, M., Asner, G. P., Hagen, S. and Braswell, B. (2008), Amazon Forest Structure from IKONOS Satellite Data and the Automated Characterization of Forest Canopy Properties. Biotropica, 40: 141–150. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2007.00353.x
- Issue published online: 25 SEP 2007
- Article first published online: 25 SEP 2007
- Received 16 March 2007; revision accepted 24 May 2007.
- and . 2003. Canopy shadow in IKONOS satellite observations of tropical forests and savannas. Remote Sens. Environ. 87: 521–533. ,
- and . 2005. Selective logging in the Brazilian Amazon. Science 310: 480–482. , , , , ,
- and . 2002. Estimation canopy structure in an Amazon forest from laser range finder and IKONOS satellite observations. Biotropica 34: 483–492. , , , , ,
- and . 1999. Seasonal changes in liana cover in the upper canopy of a Neotropical dry forest. Biotropica 3: 186–192. ,
- and . 2004. Variation in wood density determines spatial patterns in Amazonian forest biomass. Global Change Biol. 105: 545–562. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 1999. Automated estimation of localized forest volume from large-scale aerial photographs and ancillary cartographic information in a boreal forest. Int. J. Remote Sens. 2018: 3611–3624. , ,
- and . 1998. Automated delineation of individual tree crowns in high spatial resolution aerial images by multiple-scale analysis. Mach. Vision Appl. 11: 64–73. ,
- 1985. Gap-phase regeneration in a tropical forest. Ecology 6630: 682–687. .
- 1987. Gap-phase regeneration of three pioneer tree species in a tropical forest. J. Ecol. 75: 9–19.
- 1997. Estimating biomass and biomass change of tropical forests: A primer. United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization.
- and . 2005. Creating a virtual tropical forest from three-dimensional aerial imagery: Application for estimating carbon stocks. Ecol. Appl. 15: 1083–1095. , , , , , ,
- and . 2005. Bayesian image understanding: From images to virtual forests. Int. J. Robotics Automation 20: 14–24. , ,
- and . 2001. Tree damage, allometric relationships, and above-ground net primary production in a tropical forest. For. Ecol. Manage. 152:73–84. , , ,
- and . 2001. Estimation of biomass in a Neotropical forest of French Guiana: Spatial and temporal variability. J. Trop. Ecol. 17: 79–96. , ,
- and . 2006. Isolating individual trees in a Savanna woodland using small footprint lidar data. Photogramm. Eng. Remote Sens. 72: 923–932. , , ,
- and . 2006. Component optimization for image understanding: A Bayesian approach. IEEE T. Pattern Anal. 28: 984–993. , ,
- and . 2006. Object-based analysis of Ikonos-2 imagery for extraction of forest inventory parameters. Photogramm. Eng. Remote Sens. 72: 383–394. , ,
- and . 2004. Quantifying mortality of tropical rain forest trees using high-spatial-resolution satellite data. Ecol. Lett. 7: 52–59. , , ,
- 2002. TIDA: An algorithm for the delineation of tree crowns in high spatial resolution remotely sensed imagery. Computers Geosci. 28: 33–44.
- 1962. Crown diameters: Their relation to bole diameter in tropical forest trees. Commonw. Forest. Rev. 26: 318–333.
- 1980. Gap partitioning among tropical rainforest trees. Tropical Succession 12: 47–77.
- 1987. Tropical rainforest gaps and tree species diversity. Annu. Rev. Ecol. Syst. 18: 431–451.
- and . 2006. Automated estimation of individual conifer tree height and crown diameter via two-dimensional spatial wavelet analysis of lidar data. Can. J. Remote Sens. 32: 153–161. , , , , ,
- and . 2002. Quantitative assessment of vegetation structural attributes from aerial photography. Int. J. Remote Sens. 2311: 2293–2317. , , ,
- and . 2002. 3D Model-based tree measurement from high-resolution aerial imagery. Photogrammetric Engineering & Remote Sensing 68:203–1212. , ,
- 1995a. A crown-following approach to the automatic delineation of individual tree crowns in high spatial resolution aerial images. Can. J. Remote Sens. 21: 274–284.
- 1995b. Comparison of possible multispectral classification schemes for tree crowns individually delineated on high spatial resolution MEIS Images. Can. J. Remote Sens. 21: 1–9.
- and . 2001. The spatial distribution of forest biomass in the Brazilian Amazon: A comparison of estimates. Global Change Biol. 7: 731–746. , , ,
- and . 2000. Annual fluxes of carbon from the deforestation and regrowth in the Brazilian Amazon. Nature 403: 301–304. , , , , ,
- and . 2003. IKONOS imagery for the large scale biosphere−atmosphere experiment in Amazonia LBA. Remote Sens. Environ. 88: 111–127. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2006. Satellite-derived ecosystems classification: Image segmentation by ecological region for improved classification accuracy, a boreal case study. Int. J. Remote Sens. 27: 233–251. ,
- and . 2004. Ecological research in the large scale biosphere atmosphere experiment in Amazônia LBA: early results. Ecol. Appl. 14: S3–S16. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2001. Biomass estimation in the Tapajos National Forest, Brazil. Estimation of sampling and allometric uncertainties. For. Ecol. Manage. 154: 371–382. , ,
- and . 1988. Optimizing templates for finding trees in aerial photographs. Pattern Recog. Lett. 19: 1153–1162. ,
- and . 2003a. Combined high density lidar and multispectral imagery for individual tree crown analysis. Can. J. of Remote Sens. 29: 1–17. , , , , ,
- and . 2005a. Automated tree recognition in old growth conifer stands with high resolution digital imagery. Remote Sens. Environ. 94: 311–326. , , , , ,
- and . 2003b. Stand delineation and composition estimation using semi-automated individual tree crown analysis. Remote Sens. Environ. 85: 355–369. , , ,
- and . 2005b. Issues in species classification of trees in old growth conifer stands. Can. J. Remote Sens. 31: 175–190. , , , , , ,
- and . 1994. Integrating Amazonian vegetation, land-use, and satellite data. Bioscience 44: 329–338. , , ,
- and . 2003. Biodiversity meets the atmosphere: A global view of forests canopies. Science 301: 183–186. , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Measuring individual tree crown diameter with lidar and assessing its influence on estimating forest volume and biomass. Can. J. Remote Sens. 29: 564–577. , ,
- and . 2002. Automated tree crown detection and delineation in high-resolution digital camera imagery of coniferous forest regeneration. Remote Sens. Environ. 82: 322–334. , , ,
- and . 2000. Using template correlation to identify individual trees in high resolution imagery. American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing (ASPRS) 2000 Annual Conference Proceedings, Washington DC. , ,
- and . 2003. Application of merged 1-m and 4-m resolution satellite data to research and management in tropical forests. J. Appl. Ecol. 40: 592–600. , , ,
- and . 2004. Carbon balance and vegetation dynamics in an old-growth Amazonian forest. Ecol. Appl. 144: s55–s71. , , , , , , , , ,
- 1952. The tropical rain forest: An ecological study. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK .
- and . 2003. Studies of land-cover, land-use, and biophysical properties of vegetation in the large scale biosphere atmosphere experiment in Amazonia. Remote Sens. Environ. 87: 377–388. , ,
- and . 1991. What does remote sensing do for ecology? Ecology 726: 1918–1922. , ,
- and . 1984. Amazon basin: A system in equilibrium. Science 225: 129–138. ,
- and . 2000. Determining forest structural attributes using an inverted geometric-optical model in mixed eucalypt forests, Southeast Queensland, Australia. Remote Sens. Environ. 71: 141–157. ,
- and . 1989. Primate species richness in relation to habitat structure in Amazonian rainforests fragments. Biol. Conserv. 48: 1–12. ,
- and . 2001. Determination of stand properties in boreal and temperate forests using high-resolution imagery. For. Sci. 46: 478–486. , ,
- and . 1993. Tropical deforestation and habitat fragmentation in the Amazon: Satellite data from 1978 to 1988. Science 260: 1905–1910. ,
- and . 1995. Biometry: the principles and practice of statistics In Biological Research. 3rd edn., W. H. Freeman and Co., New York , New York . ,
- and . 2003. Mapping forest degradation in the Eastern Amazon from SPOT 4 through spectral mixture models. Remote Sens. Environ. 87: 494–506. , , ,
- 1998. Forest Structure: A key to the ecosystem. In J. A. Trofymow and A. MacKinnon (Eds.). Proceedings of a workshop on Structure, Process, and Diversity in Successional Forests of Coastal British Columbia, February 17–19, 1998, Victoria, British Columbia. Northwest Science, Vol. 72 (No. 2), pp. 34–39.
- 1996. Tropical secondary forest regrowth in the Amazon: Age, area, and change estimation with Thematic Mapper. Int. J. Remote Sens. 171: 9–2.
- and . 2000. Using genetic algorithms to select tree crown templates for finding trees in digital imagery. American Society for Photogrammetry & Remote Sensing (ASPRS) 2000 Annual Conference Proceedings, Washington DC. ,
- 2000. Small canopy gaps influence plant distributions in the rain forest understory. Biotropica 322: 252–261.
- 1992. Maintenance of diversity in tropical forests. Biotropica 24: 283–292. .
- and . 1996. Tropical tree communities: A test of the nonequilibrium hypothesis. Ecology 77: 561–567. , ,
- and . 2004. Forest structure and carbon dynamics in Amazonian tropical rain forest. Oecologia 40: 468–479. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 2004. Development of filtering, segmentation and modelling modules for lidar and multispectral data as a fundament of an automatic forest inventory system. International Society Of Photogrammetry And Remote Sensing. In M. Thies, B. Koch, H. Spiecker, and H. Weinacker (Eds.). Proceedings of the ISPRS working group VIII/2, Laser-Scanners for Forest and Landscape Assessment, Freiburg, Germany 03–06 October 2004. , , , and .
- and . 1981. Forest succession. Concepts and application. Springer-Verlag, New York , New York . , ,
- 1982. On pattern and process in forests. In E. I. Newman (Ed.). The plant community as a working mechanism, pp. 45–59 Blackwell Scientific Publications, Oxford , UK .
- and . 2000. Local maximum filtering for the extraction of tree locations and basal area from high spatial resolution imagery. Remote Sens. Environ. 73: 103–114. , ,