The Relationship between Local Abundance and Distribution of Rain Forest Trees across Environmental Gradients in India
Article first published online: 22 AUG 2008
© 2008 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2008 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 40, Issue 6, pages 700–706, November 2008
How to Cite
Davidar, P., Rajagopal, B., Arjunan, M. and Puyravaud, J. P. (2008), The Relationship between Local Abundance and Distribution of Rain Forest Trees across Environmental Gradients in India. Biotropica, 40: 700–706. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2008.00437.x
- Issue published online: 17 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 22 AUG 2008
- Received 4 December 2007; revision accepted 5 May 2008.
- and . 1986. Endemic plants of the Indian region. Volume 1, Botanical Survey of India, New Delhi , India . ,
- and . 1994. Local adaptation to regional climates in Papilio canadensis (Lepidoptera: Papilionidae). Ecol. Monogr. 64: 465–482. ,
- and . 1999. Biodiversity inventory of trees in a large-scale permanent plot of tropical evergreen forest at Varagalaiar, Anamalais, Western Ghats, India. Biodivers. Conserv. 8: 1533–1554. ,
- and . 2007. Geographic distributions in tropical trees: Can geographic range predict performance and habitat association in co-occurring tree species? J. Biogeogr. 34: 1916–1926. , , , ,
- and . 2008. The role of dessication tolerance in determining tree species distributions across the Malay-Thai Peninsula. Funct. Ecol. 22: 221–23. , , ,
- 1987. Distribution-abundance relationships of some Arizona landbirds—a matter of scale. Ecology 68: 124–129.
- and . 1983. Range size and local abundance of some North American songbirds: a positive correlation. Am. Nat. 122: 295–299. ,
- 1984. On the relationship between abundance and distribution of species. Am. Nat. 124: 255–279.
- and . 1995. Mortality rates of 205 Neotropical tree and shrub species and the impact of a severe drought. Ecol. Monogr. 65: 419–439. , ,
- 1971. On the role of natural enemies in preventing competitive exclusion in some marine animals and in rain forest trees. In P. J.Den Boer and G.Gradwell (Eds.). Dynamics of numbers in population, pp. 298–312. Center for Agricultural Publication and Documentation, Wageningen , The Netherlands .
- and . 2005. Changes in rain forest tree diversity, dominance and rarity across a seasonality gradient in the Western Ghats, India. J. Biogeogr. 32: 493–501. , ,
- and . 2007. The effect of climatic gradients, topographic variation and species traits on beta diversity of rain forest trees. Glob. Ecol. Biogeogr. 15: 213–224. , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Comparative drought–resistance of seedlings of 28 species of co-occurring tropical woody plants. Oecologia 136: 383–393. ,
- and . 2007. Drought sensitivity shapes species distribution patterns in tropical forests. Nature 447: 80–83. , , , , , ,
- and . 1981. Specialization: species property or local phenomenon? Science 211: 887–893. ,
- and . 19151936. Flora of the Presidency of Madras. Vols. 1–111. Adlard and Son Ltd., London , UK . ,
- and . 1996. Assessment of plant biodiversity at a mid elevation evergreen forest of Kalakad-Mundanthurai Tiger Reserve, Western Ghats, India. Curr. Sci. 71: 379–392. , , , ,
- 1999. Action anthropique sur la dynamique des formations végétales au sud de l'Inde (Ghâts occidentaux, Etat du Karnataka, District de Shimoga). PhD Dissertation. Université Claude Bernard –Lyon I , Villeurbanne , France .
- 1996. The multiple forms of the interspecific abundance—distribution relationship. Oikos 76: 211–220. .
- and . 1997. Rare-common differences: an overview. In W. E.Kunin and K. G.Gaston, (Eds.). The biology of rarity: causes and consequences of rare-common differences. pp. 12–29. Chapman and Hall, London , UK . ,
- and . 1997. Interspecific abundance range size relationships: An appraisal of mechanisms. J. Anim. Ecol. 66: 579–601. , ,
- and . 2003. Broad-scale biodiversity pattern of the endemic tree flora of the Western Ghats (India) using canonical correlation analysis of herbarium records. Ecography 26: 429–444.
- 1982. Dynamics of regional distribution: the core and satellite species hypothesis. Oikos 38: 210–221.
- and . 1986. Commonness and rarity in a Neotropical forest: implications for tropical tree conservation. In M. E.Soulé (Ed.), Conservation biology: the science of scarcity and diversity, pp. 205–231. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland , Massachusetts .
- and . 2007. Endemism and local rarity in birds of Neotropical montane rainforest. Biol. Conserv. 138: 453–463. ,
- 1970. Herbivores and the number of tree species in tropical forests. Am. Nat. 104: 501–528. .
- 1998. Species extinction and the relationship between distribution and abundance. Nature 394: 272–274.
- 1996. Identifying plant functional types using floristic databases: ecological correlates of plant range size. J. Veg. Sci. 7: 417–424. .
- 1996. Intraspecific variation in sapling mortality and growth predicts geographic variation in forest composition. Ecol. Monogr. 66: 181–201.
- 2001. Plant traits as predictors of woody species dominance in climax forest communities. J. Veg. Sci. 12: 327–336.
- and . 1986. The correlation between range size and local abundance of some North-American birds. Ecology 67: 258–260. ,
- and . 2005. Oligarchic dominance in western Amazonian plant communities. J. Trop. Ecol. 21: 613–626. ,
- 1981. The flora of the Tamil Nadu Carnatic. Vol. 1. The Rapinat Herbarium, Tiruchirapalli , India .
- 1982. The flora of the Tamil Nadu Carnatic. Vol. II. The Rapinat Herbarium, Tiruchirapalli , India .
- 1999. The Flora of the Palni hills, S. India. Three volumes. The Rapinat Herbarium, Tiruchirapalli , India .
- 1978. Tree flora of Malaya. Longman, Malaysia .
- 1999. Tree diversity and distribution in undisturbed and human impacted sites of tropical wet evergreen forest in Southern Western Ghats, India. Biodivers. Conserv. 8: 1365–1381.
- 2001. Changes in forest composition and structure in three sites of tropical evergreen forest around Sengaltheri, Western Ghats. Curr. Sci. 80: 389–393. .
- and . 1997. Biodiversity and population density of woody species in a tropical evergreen forest in Courtallam reserve forest, Western Ghats, India. Trop. Ecol. 38: 297–306. ,
- 1988. Wet evergreen forests of the Western Ghats of India: Ecology, structure, floristic composition and succession. Institut Français de Pondichery , Inde .
- and . 1996. Structure and floristic composition of a tropical evergreen forest in Southern India. J. Trop. Ecol. 12: 195–218. ,
- and . 1999. Tree species distributions in an upper Amazonian forest. Ecology 80: 2651–2661. , , ,
- and . 2001. Dominance and distribution of tree species in upper Amazonian terra firme forests. Ecology 82: 2101–2117. , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Analysis of threatened endemic trees of the Western Ghats of India sheds new light on the Red Data Book of Indian plants. Biodivers. Conserv. 12: 2091–2106. , , ,
- and . 1997. Atlas of endemics of the Western Ghats (India). Distribution of tree species in the evergreen and semi-evergreen forest. Institut Français de Pondicherry , Inde . , ,
- and . 2002. Two biases in estimating range size of Amazonian plant species. J. Trop. Ecol. 19: 935–942. , , ,
- 1984. Flora of Karnataka. Oxford and IBH Publishing Co., New Delhi , India .
- and . 1981. Biometry. W. H. Freeman and Co., New York , New York . ,
- SPSS INC. 2000. Systat version 10. Chicago , Illinois .
- and . 2000. Comparative analysis of tree diversity and dispersion in the tropical lowland evergreen forest of Agumbe, Central Western Ghats, India. Trop. Biodivers. 7: 45–60. ,
- and . 2004. Ecological determinism in plant community structure across a tropical forest landscape. Ecology 85: 2526–2538. , , , ,
- and . 1999. Asymptotic height as a predictor of photosynthetic characteristics in Malaysian rain forest trees. Ecology 80: 1607–1622. ,
- and . 1994. Distribution of Pteridophyta and Melastomataceae along an edaphic gradient in an Amazonian rain forest. J. Veg. Sci. 5: 23–34. ,
- 1972. Tree flora of Malaya. Vol. I. Longman, Malaysia .
- 1973. Tree flora of Malaya. Vol. II. Longman. Malaysia .
- 1992. Seasonal drought, soil fertility, and the species density of tropical forest plant communities. Trends Ecol. Evol. 7: 260–263.