A Meta-Analysis of the Impact of Anthropogenic Forest Disturbance on Southeast Asia's Biotas
Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
© 2008 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2008 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 41, Issue 1, pages 103–109, January 2009
How to Cite
Sodhi, N. S., Lee, T. M., Koh, L. P. and Brook, B. W. (2009), A Meta-Analysis of the Impact of Anthropogenic Forest Disturbance on Southeast Asia's Biotas. Biotropica, 41: 103–109. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2008.00460.x
- Issue online: 29 JAN 2009
- Version of Record online: 29 SEP 2008
- Received 6 January 2008; Revision accepted 26 July 2008.
- and . 2002. Determination of deforestation rates of the world's humid tropical forests. Science 297: 999–1002. , , , , , ,
- and . 2007a. The value of primary, secondary and plantation forests for Amazonian birds. Biol. Conserv. 136: 212–231. , , ,
- and . 2007b. Quantifying the biodiversity value of tropical primary, secondary, and plantation forests. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 104: 18555–18560. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. Catastrophic extinctions follow deforestation in Singapore. Nature 424: 420–423. , ,
- and . 2006. Momentum drives the crash: Mass extinction in the tropics. Biotropica 38: 302–305. , , ,
- and . 2001. Kullback-Leibler information as a basis for strong inference in ecological studies. Wildl. Res. 28: 111–119. ,
- and . 2002. Model selection and multimodel inference: A practical information-theoretic approach. Springer, New York , New York . ,
- and . 2000. The effects of forest fire on the nesting success of the red-knobbed hornbill Aceros cassidix. Bird Conserv. Intl. 10: 109–114. ,
- 1977. Statistical power analysis for the behavioral sciences. Academic Press, New York , New York .
- 2004. Recovery of faunal communities during tropical forest regeneration. Conserv. Biol. 18: 302–309.
- and . 1994. Metaanalysis—a valuable tool in conservation research. Conserv. Biol. 8: 555–561. ,
- and . 2001. Quantifying biodiversity: Procedures and pitfalls in the measurement and comparison of species richness. Ecol. Lett. 4: 379–391. ,
- and . 2000. Scale-dependent effects of habitat disturbance on species richness in tropical forests. Conserv. Biol. 14: 1435–1440. ,
- and . 1985. Statistical methods for meta-analysis. Academic Press, Orlando , Florida . ,
- and . 2004. Determining impacts of habitat modification on diversity of tropical forest fauna: The importance of spatial scale. J. Appl. Ecol. 41: 744–754. ,
- and . 1995. Effects of selective logging on tropical forest butterflies on Buru, Indonesia. J. Appl. Ecol. 32: 754–760. , , ,
- and . 2002. Conservation of tropical forest birds in countryside habitats. Ecol. Lett. 5: 121–129. , ,
- 2000. Effects of habitat disturbance and protected areas on mammals of Peninsular Malaysia. Conserv. Biol. 14: 1639–1648.
- and . 2007. The importance of protected areas for the forest and endemic avifauna of Sulawesi (Indonesia). Ecol. Appl. 17: 1727–1741. , ,
- and . 2001. Bee diversity along a disturbance gradient in tropical lowland forests of south-east Asia. J. Appl. Ecol. 38: 180–192. , ,
- 1990. Meta-analysis in the Breech. Science 249: 476–480.
- and . 1989. Generalized linear models. Chapman & Hall, London , UK . ,
- and . 1993. Use of an exotic plantation by Bornean lowland forest birds. Auk 110: 529–540. ,
- and . 2005. Lowland rain forest avifauna and human disturbance: Persistence of primary forest birds in selectively logged forests and mixed-rural habitats of southern Peninsular Malaysia. Biol. Conserv. 123: 489–505. , , , ,
- and . 2006. Effects of anthropogenic land use on forest birds and butterflies in Subic Bay, Philippines. Biol. Conserv. 129: 256–270. ,
- R Development Core Team. 2007. R: A language and environment for statistical computing, reference indexed version 2.6.0. Available at http://www.R-project.org.
- and . 2007. Persistence of forest birds in the Costa Rican agricultural countryside. Conserv. Biol. 21: 482–494. , , , ,
- and . 2006. Southeast Asian biodiversity in crisis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge , UK . ,
- and . 2004. Southeast Asian biodiversity: An impending disaster. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 654–660. , , ,
- and . 2005. Land use and conservation value for forest birds in central Sulawesi (Indonesia). Biol. Conserv. 122: 547–558. , , , ,
- and . 2007. Tropical conservation biology. Blackwell Science Oxford , UK . , ,
- and . 2006. High sensitivity of montane bird communities to habitat disturbance in Peninsular Malaysia. Biol. Conserv. 129: 149–166. , ,
- and . 2003. Continental rain forest fragments in Singapore resist invasion by exotic plants. J. Biogeogr. 30: 305–310. , , , ,
- and . 1995. Songbird use of gallery woodlands in recently cleared and older settled landscapes of the Selva Lacandona, Chiapas, Mexico. Conserv. Biol. 9: 1095–1106. , ,
- 1972. Evolution and measurement of species diversity. Taxon 21: 213–251.
- and . 2006. Why do we still use stepwise modelling in ecology and behaviour J. Anim. Ecol. 75: 1182–1189. , , ,
- 2005. Tropical forests in a changing environment. Trends Ecol. Evol. 20: 553–560.
- and . 2007. Phenology of tropical birds in Peninsular Malaysia: Effects of selective logging and food resources. Auk 124: 945–961. , ,
- and . 1998. Comparison of frugivory by birds in primary and logged lowland dipterocarp forests in Sabah, Malaysia. Trop. Biodiv. 5: 1–9. ,