Forest Conversion and Degradation in Papua New Guinea 1972–2002
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2009
© 2009 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2009 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 41, Issue 3, pages 379–390, May 2009
How to Cite
Shearman, P. L., Ash, J., Mackey, B., Bryan, J. E. and Lokes, B. (2009), Forest Conversion and Degradation in Papua New Guinea 1972–2002. Biotropica, 41: 379–390. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2009.00495.x
- Issue online: 22 APR 2009
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2009
- Received 17 April 2008; revision accepted 7 November 2008.
- and . 2002. Remote sensing of selective logging in Amazonia—Assessing limitations based on detailed field observations, Landsat ETM+, and textural analysis. Remote Sens. Environ. 80: 483–496. , , ,
- and . 2005. Selective logging in the Brazilian Amazon. Science 310: 480–482. , , , , ,
- and . 2006. Global biodiversity conservation priorities. Science 313: 58–61. , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2007. Using remote sensing to inform conservation status assessment: Estimates of recent deforestation rates on New Britain and the impacts upon endemic birds. Biol. Conserv. 141: 56–66. , , , , , ,
- and . 1998. Land cover classification using Landsat TM imagery in the tropical highlands: The influence of anisotropic reflectance. Int. J. Remote Sens. 19: 1479–1500. ,
- 2000. Australia's military map-makers: The royal Australian survey corps 1915–96. Oxford University Press, Melbourne , Australia .
- and . 2007. Qualitative modelling of gold mine impacts on Lihir Island's socioeconomic system and reef-edge fish community. Environ. Sci. Technol. 41: 555–562. , , , ,
- Definiens. 2005. eCognition Version 5 Object oriented image analysis user guide. Definiens AG, Munich , Germany .
- and . 2007. Earth observations for estimating greenhouse gas emissions from deforestation in developing countries. Environ. Sci. Policy 10: 385–394. , , , , , ,
- and . 2000. Forest succession and distance from forest edge in an Afro-tropical grassland. Biotropica 32: 33–41. ,
- FAO. 2005a. Global Forest Review Assessment, 2005. FAO, Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 2005b. Global Forest Review Assessment 2005 Papua New Guinea Country Report. FAO, Rome , Italy .
- FAO. 2007. FAOSTAT database (available at: http://faostat.fao.org/faostat).
- and . 2007. The shuttle radar topography mission. Rev. Geophys. 45: RG2004. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 1997. The political economy of forest management in PNG. NRI Monograph No 32. National Research Institute, Boroko , Port Moresby , Papua New Guinea .
- and . 2007. Amazonia revealed: Forest degradation and loss of ecosystem goods and services in the Amazon Basin. Front. Ecol. Environ. 5: 25–32. , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2003. An enhanced contextual fire detection algorithm for MODIS. Remote Sens. Environ. 87: 273–282. , , ,
- 1969. Plant succession in an irregularly fired grassland area—Doma Peaks region, Papua. J. Ecol. 57: 415–428.
- 2008. Difficulties in tracking the long-term global trend in tropical forest area. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. USA 105: 818–823.
- 1982. A comment on the INA report of Dr A. I. Fraser: Issues in Papua New Guinea Forest Policy. In INA Public Seminar, 22nd October 1982; “Issues in Papua New Guinea Forest Policy”. Institute of National Affairs, Port Moresby , Papua New Guinea .
- 2007. Prehistoric human impact on rain forest biodiversity in highland New Guinea. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 362: 219–228.
- and . 2001. Biomass burning in Indonesia and Papua New Guinea: Natural and human induced fire events in the fossil record. Palaeogeogr. Palaeoclimatol. Palaeoecol. 171: 259–268. , ,
- and . 1995. Forest resources and vegetation mapping of Papua New Guinea. CSIRO, Canberra , Australia . ,
- and . 1997. Fire in Amazonian selectively logged rain forest and the potential for fire reduction. Ecol. Appl. 7: 713–725. ,
- 2002. Efficient and equitable forest rent capture in three Pacific island nations: Opportunities and impediments in forest policy reform. Small-scale Forest Economics, Management and Policy 1: 1–15.
- International Tropical Timber Organisation. 2007. Achieving the ITTO Objective 2000 and Sustainable Forest Management in Papua New Guinea: Report of the Diagnostic Mission—Executive Summary. International Tropical Timber Council, Forty-second session, 7–12 May 2007, Port Moresby, Papua New Guinea. (available at: http://www.itto.or.jp/live/Live_Server/3227/E-C42-7.doc).
- and . 1976. The tasseled cap—a graphic description of spectral-temporal development of agricultural crops as seen by Landsat. In LARS: Proceedings of the symposium on machine processing of remotely sensed data. Purdue University, West Lafayette . ,
- and . 2007. Land cover change 2002–2005 in Borneo and the role of fire derived from MODIS imagery. Glob. Change Biol. 13: 2329–2340. , ,
- and . 2007. Expansion of industrial logging in Central Africa. Science 316: 1451. , , , ,
- 2007. A new initiative to use carbon trading for tropical forest conservation. Biotropica 39: 20–24.
- 2006. Tropical forests and the changing earth system. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. Lond. B. 361: 195–210.
- 1977. Geomorphology of Papua New Guinea. CSIRO & The Australian National University Press, Canberra , Australia .
- and . 2004. Change detection techniques. Int. J. Remote Sens. 25: 2365–2407. , , ,
- and . 2001. Land use change and intensification in Papua New Guinea 1975–1996. Asia Pacific Viewpoint 42: 209–218. ,
- and . 1983. Climate of Papua New Guinea. The Australian National University Press, Canberra , Australia . , ,
- and . 1995. Equivalent roaded area as a measure of cumulative effect of logging. Environ. Manage. 19: 609–621. ,
- National Forest Service. 2000. Timber permits, local forest areas and timber licences as of February 2000. National Forest Service, Boroko , Port Moresby , Papua New Guinea .
- National Statistical Office of PNG. 2000. PNG Census 2000 National Report. National Statistical Office of PNG, Port Moresby , Papua New Guinea .
- and . 1999. Large-scale impoverishment of Amazonian forests by logging and fire. Nature 398: 505–508. , , , , , , , , , , ,
- and . 2007. Land use change and population growth in the Morobe Province of Papua New Guinea between 1975 and 2000. J. Environ. Manage. 87: 117–124. , ,
- Overseas Development Institute. 2006. Issues and opportunities for the forest sector in Papua New Guinea: Papua New Guinea Forest Studies, Part 3. (available at: http://www.odi.org.uk/fpeg/activities/environmental_governance/S0153/index.html).
- 1976. New Guinea vegetation. Australian National University Press, Canberra , Australia .
- and . 1972. High-altitude forests and grasslands of Mt-Albert-Edward, New-Guinea. J. Trop. Geogr. 34: 58–64. ,
- PNG Oil Palm Research Association. 2008. Export of Crude Oil Palm statistics 1976–2006. PNG Oil Palm Research Association unpublished data. Kimbe , Papua New Guinea .
- 2003. Standardizing the calculation of the annual rate of deforestation. For. Ecol. Manage. 177: 593–596.
- 1996. Tropical secondary forest regrowth in the Amazon: Age, area and change estimation with Thematic Mapper data. Int. J. Remote Sens. 17: 9–27.
- and . 1998. Using multi-temporal satellite data to evaluate selective logging in Para, Brazil. Int. J. Remote Sens. 19: 2517–2526. ,
- and . 2000. An alternative approach for detecting and monitoring selectively logged forest in the Amazon. Int. J. Remote Sens. 21: 173–179. ,
- and . 2000. Strategies for monitoring tropical deforestation using satellite data. Int. J. Remote Sens. 21: 1461–1471. ,
- 1994. Sustainable timber harvesting—simulation studies in the tropical rain-forests of North Queensland. For. Ecol. Manage. 69: 299–320.
- 1966. Vegetation of the Lake Ipea region, New Guinea Highlands: Forest, grassland and ‘garden’. J. Ecol. 54: 503–533.
- World Bank and GoPNG. 2001. Review of Forest Harvesting Projects being developed towards a Timber Permit or Timber Authority (2000–2001). State of Papua New Guinea & The World Bank, Port Moresby , Papua New Guinea .
- 2003. Oil Wealth and the fate of the forest: A comparative study of eight tropical countries. Routledge, London , UK .
- and . 2006. Land use change in Asia and the ecological consequences. Ecol. Res. 21: 890–896. , , , , ,
- 2001. A statistical measure of severity of El Niño events. Stoch. Env. Res. Risk A. 15: 153–172.