1Corresponding author; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Bridging the Gap: How Can Information Access and Exchange Between Conservation Biologists and Field Practitioners be Improved for Better Conservation Outcomes?
Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
© 2009 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2009 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 41, Issue 5, pages 549–554, September 2009
How to Cite
Sunderland, T., Sunderland-Groves, J., Shanley, P. and Campbell, B. (2009), Bridging the Gap: How Can Information Access and Exchange Between Conservation Biologists and Field Practitioners be Improved for Better Conservation Outcomes?. Biotropica, 41: 549–554. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2009.00557.x
- Issue online: 9 SEP 2009
- Version of Record online: 9 SEP 2009
- Received 28 July 2008; revision accepted 16 December 2008.
- 2001. Understanding the links between conservation and development in the Bamenda Highlands, Cameroon. World Dev. 29: 1115–1136. , , , , and .
- 2007. Elite scientists and the global brain drain. A paper by the University of Warwick, UK. Available at http://www2.warwick.ac.uk/fac/soc/economics/staff/faculty/oswald/warwickshanghai2007.pdf (accessed July 3, 2008). , , , , , , , and .
- Anon. 2007. The great divide. Nature 450: 135–136.
- 2006. A field guide to the palms of New Guinea. Kew Publishing, Richmond, UK. , and .
- 2006. Common ground between anthropology and conservation biology. Conserv. Biol. 20: 683–685.
- 2002. Innovations for conservation and development. Geogr. J. 168: 6–17.
- 2001. Overcoming obstacles to interdisciplinary research. Conserv. Biol. 19: 574–577.
- 2008. Escape from the impact factor. Ethics Sci. Environ. Polit. 8: 5–7.
- 2005. Improving access to research literature in developing countries: Challenges and opportunities provided by Open Access. Paper presented at the IFLA General Conference and Council, 14–18 August, Oslo, Norway. Available at http://www.scidev.net/en/features/open-access-archiving-the-fast-track-to-building-r.html (accessed July 1, 2008). , , , and .
- 2000. The plants of Mount Oku and the Ijim Ridge: A conservation checklist. Kew Publishing, Richmond, UK. , , and .
- 2005. Open-access science: A necessity for global public health. PLoS Pathog. 1: 99–101, doi: DOI: 10.1371/journal.ppat.0010021. , and .
- 2006. If Rome is burning, why are we fiddling? Conserv. Biol. 20: 1563–1565.
- 2000. Improving science literacy and conservation in developing countries. ActionBioscience.org original article. Available at http://www.actionbioscience.org/newfrontiers/delarosa.html#primer (accessed July 1, 2008).
- 2009. Graduate students and knowledge sharing with local stakeholders: Possibilities and preparation. Biotropica 41: 578–585. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2004. Conserving tropical nature: Current challenges for ecologists. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 12–17. , , and .
- 2001. A field guide to the rattans of Lao PDR. Kew Publishing, Richmond, UK.
- 2006. Parks, people and protected areas: An institutional assessment of the effectiveness of protected areas. World Dev. 34: 2064–2075.
- 1988. Saving the tropical forests. Earthscan Publications, London, UK. , and .
- 2004. The scientific impact of nations: What different countries get for their research spending. Nature 430: 311–316.
- 2006. Failing but learning: Writing the wrongs after Redford and Taber. Conserv. Biol. 20: 1312–1314.
- 2008. Knowing but not doing: Selecting priority conservation areas and the research–implementation gap. Conserv. Biol. 22: 610–617. , , , , , and .
- 2000. It's time to work together and stop duplicating conservation efforts. Nature 405: 393. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2001. The extirpation of large mammals and implications for Montane forest conservation: The case of the Kilum-Ijim Forest, North-West Province, Cameroon. Oryx 35: 322–331. , , , and .
- 2005. Taking the quackery out of conservation. Nature 437: 616.
- 2007. What to let go. Nature 450: 152–155.
- 2006. Preparing students for conservation careers through project-based learning. Conserv. Biol. 20: 1579–1583. , , and .
- 1999. Scientific diasporas: A new approach to the brain drain. Management of Social Transformations (MOST), Discussion Paper No. 41. Available at http://www.unesco.org/most/meyer.htm (accessed June 30, 2008). , and .
- 2005. Assessing conservation management's evidence base: A survey of management plan compilers in the United Kingdom and Australia. Conserv. Biol. 19: 1989–1996. , and .
- 2003. Do conservation managers use scientific evidence to support their decision making? Biol. Conserv. 119: 245–252. , , , and .
- 2003. Retiring Cassandra. Conserv. Biol. 17: 1473–1474. , and .
- 2000. Writing the wrongs: Developing a safe-fail culture in conservation. Conserv. Biol. 14: 1567–1568. , and .
- 2006. Conservation biology and real-world conservation. Conserv. Biol. 20: 658–669.
- 2000. Linking livelihoods and conservation: A conceptual framework and scale for assessing the integration of human needs and biodiversity. World Dev. 28: 1421–1438. , and .
- 2004. The science of sustainable development: Local livelihoods and the global environment. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , and .
- 2005. Ecology and anthropology: A field without a future? Ecol. Environ. Anthropol. 1: 13–15.
- 2004. The local costs of rainforest conservation: Local responses towards integrated conservation and development projects. J. Contemp. Afr. Stud. 22: 93–117.
- 2009. Beyond just research: Experiences from Southern Africa in developing social learning partnerships for resource conservation initiatives. Biotropica 41: 563–570. , , and .
- 2009. Out of the loop: Why research rarely reaches policy and the public—what can be done. Biotropica 41: 535–544. , and .
- 1986. Conservation biology and the “real world”. In M. E.Soulé (Ed.). Conservation biology: The science of scarcity and diversity, pp. 1–12. Sinauer Associates, Sunderland, Massachusetts.
- 2003. The African cherry (Prunus africana): From hoe handles to the international herb market. Econ. Bot. 57: 559–569.
- 2008. Conservation and development in tropical forest landscapes: A time to face the trade-offs? Environ. Conserv. 34: 276–279. , , and .
- 2000. The conservation handbook: Research, management and policy. Blackwell Publications, Oxford, UK.
- 2004. The need for evidence-based conservation. Trends Ecol. Evol. 19: 305–308. , , , and .
- UNESCO. 2008. Improving access to scientific information for developing countries: UK learned societies and journal access programmes. Report by Improving Access To Scientific Information Working Group (Natural Sciences Committee). Available at http://www.unesco.org.uk (accessed July 1, 2008).
- 2007. Journal impact factors are inflated. BioScience 57: 550–551.