1Corresponding author; e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Purity and Prejudice: Deluding Ourselves About Biodiversity Conservation
Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2010
© 2010 The Author(s). Journal compilation © 2010 by The Association for Tropical Biology and Conservation
Volume 42, Issue 5, pages 566–568, September 2010
How to Cite
Sheil, D. and Meijaard, E. (2010), Purity and Prejudice: Deluding Ourselves About Biodiversity Conservation. Biotropica, 42: 566–568. doi: 10.1111/j.1744-7429.2010.00687.x
- Issue online: 9 SEP 2010
- Version of Record online: 27 JUL 2010
- Received 16 May 2010; revision accepted 17 May 2010.
- 2002. Why conservationists should heed Pokémon. Science 295: 2367–2367. , , , and .
- 2009. Lay people's images of nature: Comprehensive frameworks of values, beliefs, and value orientations. Soc. Nat. Resour. 22: 417–432.
- 2009. In bad taste: Evidence for the oral origins of moral disgust. Science 323: 1222–1226. , , , and .
- 2009. Beyond reserves: A research agenda for conserving biodiversity in human-modified tropical landscapes. Biotropica 41: 142–153. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2008. Why the unskilled are unaware: Further explorations of (absent) self-insight among the incompetent. Organ. Behav. Hum. Dec. 105: 98–121. , , , , and .
- 2006. The paranoid optimist: An integrative evolutionary model of cognitive biases. Pers. Soc. Psychol. Rev. 10: 47–66. , and .
- 2009. Orangutan distribution, density, abundance and impacts of disturbance. In S. A.Wich, S. U.Atmoko, T. M.Setia, and C. P.van Schaik (Eds.). Orangutans: Geographic variation in behavioral ecology and conservation, pp. 77–96. Oxford University Press. , , , , , , , , , , and .
- 2009. The tragedy of cognition: Psychological biases and environmental inaction. Curr. Sci. 97: 1593–1603. , and .
- 2009. The emerging era of novel tropical forests. Biotropica 41: 589–591.
- 2008a. Cuddly animals don't persuade poor people to back conservation. Nature 454: 159. , and .
- 2008b. The persistence and conservation of Borneo's mammals in lowland rain forests managed for timber: Observations, overviews and opportunities. Ecol. Res. 23: 21–34. , and .
- 2009. Social attachment and aversion in human moral cognition. Neurosci. Biobehav. Rev. 33: 456–465. , and .
- 2006. Moral dilemmas and moral rules. Cognition 100: 530–542. , and .
- 2009. Parasites, minds and cultures. Psychologist 22: 942–945. , and .
- 2010. Choices, options, and constraints: Decision making and decision spaces in natural resource management. Hum. Organ. 69: 54–64.
- 2008. How we see ourselves and how we see others. Science 320: 1177–1180.
- 2008. With a clean conscience: Cleanliness reduces the severity of moral judgments. Psychol. Sci. 19: 1219–1222. , , and .
- 2007. Things we like: Human preferences among similar organisms and implications for conservation. Hum. Ecol. 35: 361–369.
- 2008. Distribution and conservation status of the orang-utan (Pongo spp.) on Borneo and Sumatra: How many remain. Oryx 42: 329–339. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .