DEVELOPMENT OF A LEXICON FOR BEEF FLAVOR IN INTACT MUSCLE
Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2011
© 2011 Wiley Periodicals, Inc.
Journal of Sensory Studies
Volume 26, Issue 6, pages 413–420, December 2011
How to Cite
ADHIKARI, K., CHAMBERS IV, E., MILLER, R., VÁZQUEZ-ARAÚJO, L., BHUMIRATANA, N. and PHILIP, C. (2011), DEVELOPMENT OF A LEXICON FOR BEEF FLAVOR IN INTACT MUSCLE. Journal of Sensory Studies, 26: 413–420. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-459X.2011.00356.x
- Issue online: 1 DEC 2011
- Version of Record online: 2 NOV 2011
- Accepted for Publication October 5, 2011
- 2004. Optimizing beef chuck flavor and texture through cookery methods. J. Food Sci. 69, 174–180. , , and
- AMSA 1978. Guidelines of Cookery and Sensory Evaluation of Meat, American Meat Science Association and National Livestock and Meat Board, Chicago, IL.
- AMSA 1995. Research Guidelines for Cookery, Sensory Evaluation and Instrumental Measurements of Fresh Meat, American Meat Science Association and National Livestock and Meat Board, Chicago, IL.
- 2005. Impact of muscle type and sodium chloride concentration on the quality, sensory, and instrumental color characteristics of solution enhanced whole-muscle beef. Meat Sci. 72, 704–712. , , . and
- 2005. Variation in flavor and textural descriptions of cooked steaks from bovine m. longissimus thoracis et lumborum from different production and aging regimes. J. Food Sci. 70, 309–316. , and
- 2007. A fresh look at meat flavor. Meat Sci. 77, 63–80. and
- 2001. Dry-aging effects on palatability of beef longissimus muscle. J. Food Sci. 66, 196–199. , , and .
- 1997. Sensory, chemical, and physical evaluation of reduced-fat ground beef patties with “natural” flavorings. J. Muscle Foods 8, 199–212. , , , , and
- 2010. Development of an almond lexicon to assess the sensory properties of almond varieties. J. Sensory Studies 25, 146–162. , , , and
- 2009. A general lexicon for sensory analysis of texture and appearance of lip products. J. Sensory Studies 24, 581–600. , and .
- 2008. Effects of different packaging atmospheres and injection-enhancement on beef tenderness, sensory attributes, desmin degradation, and display color. J. Anim. Sci. 86, 2697–2710. , , and
- 2010. Effect of lutein, sesamol, ellagic acid and olive leaf extract on the quality and shelf life stability of packaged raw minced beef patties. Meat Sci. 84, 613–662. , , , and
- 1986. A standardized lexicon of meat WOF descriptors. J. Sensory Studies 1, 99–104. and
- 1992. The flavor profile. In ASTM Manual Series MNL 13 Manual on Descriptive Analysis Testing for Sensory Evaluation (R.C. Hootman, ed.) pp. 5–14, Am. Soc. Testing and Materials, West Conshohocken, PA.
- 2010. Development and application of a lexicon to describe the flavor of pomegranate juice. J. Sensory Studies 25, 819–837. and .
- 2005. Effect of end-point temperature and degree of doneness on sensory and instrumental flavor profile of beefsteaks. J. Food Sci. 70, 113–118. , , and
- 1997. Sensory analysis of irradiated ground beef patties and whole muscle beef. J. Sensory Studies 12, 105–126. , , . , , , , and
- 1986. Flavor profiles of vacuum packaged ground beef: A comparison of cooked flavor changes occurring during product display. J. Food Sci. 51, 258–262. , , and
- 2011. Development of a beef flavor lexicon and its application to compare the flavor profile and consumer acceptance of rib steaks from grass- or grain-fed cattle. Meat Sci. 90, 116–121. , , , and
- 1996. Determination of the flavor attributes of cooked beef from cross-bred Angus steers fed corn- or barley-based diets. Meat Sci. 44, 235–243. , , and
- 1991. National beef tenderness survey. J. Anim. Sci. 69, 3274–3282. , , , , , and
- 1998. Beef customer satisfaction: Role of cut, USDA quality grade, and city on in-home consumer ratings. J. Anim. Sci. 76, 1027–1033. , , , , , , , and
- 2009. Effects of salt, BHA/BHT, and differing phosphate types on quality and sensory characteristics of beef longissimus muscles. J. Food Sci. 74, 160–164. , , . and
- 2010. Lexicon to describe flavor of fresh leafy vegetables. J. Sensory Studies 25, 163–183. , . and
- 2009. Sensory characteristics of ice cream produced in the United States and Italy. J. Sensory Studies 24, 396–414. , and .
- 1997. Umami peptides: Assessment of their alleged taste properties. Z. Lebensm. Unters. Forsch. A 205, 125–130. and
- 2005. Flavor characterization of top blade, top sirloin, and tenderloin steaks as affected by pH, maturity, and marbling. J. Anim. Sci. 83, 2618–2623. , , , . and