*Like all invited papers and invited notes, the original version of this manuscript underwent a double-blind review process.
OUTSOURCING: TRANSACTION COST ECONOMICS AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT*
Article first published online: 3 APR 2008
© 2008 Institute for Supply Management, Inc.™
Journal of Supply Chain Management
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 5–16, April 2008
How to Cite
WILLIAMSON, O. E. (2008), OUTSOURCING: TRANSACTION COST ECONOMICS AND SUPPLY CHAIN MANAGEMENT. Journal of Supply Chain Management, 44: 5–16. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-493X.2008.00051.x
Acknowledgment: This paper has its origins in the keynote address that I gave at the “International Conference on Large and Small Business Cooperation” on August 4, 2007, in Seoul, Republic of Korea.
- Issue published online: 3 APR 2008
- Article first published online: 3 APR 2008
- The Multinational Corporations Degree of Control Over Foreign Subsidiaries: An Empirical Test of Transaction Cost Explanation,” Journal of Law Economics and Organization, (4:2), 1988, pp. 305-336. and .
- The Organization of Economic Activity: Issues Pertinent to the Choice of Market Versus Nonmarket Allocation.” In The Analysis and Evaluation of Public Expenditure: The PPB System. Vol. 1. U.S. Joint Economic Committee, 91st Congress, 1st Session, U.S. Government Printing Office, Washington, DC, 1969, pp. 47-64.
- The Functions of the Executive, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, 1938 (15th printing, 1962).
- Game Theory, Mathematics, and Economics,” Journal of Economic Methodology, (8:March), 2001, pp. 27-32.
- The Nature of the Firm,” Economica N.S., (4), 1937, pp. 386-405.
- The Problem of Social Cost,” Journal of Law and Economics, (3:October), 1960, pp. 1-44.
- Characteristics of Supply Chain Management and the Implications for Purchasing and Logistics Strategy,” The International Journal of Logistics Management, (4:2), 1993, pp. 13-24. and .
- Supply chain management: More Than a New Name for Logistics,” The International Journal of Logistics Management, (8:1), 1997, pp. 1-14. , and .
- Goodwill and the Spirit of Market Capitalism,” British Journal of Sociology, (34:December), 1983, pp. 459-482.
- Modern Macroeconomics and Its Evolution from a Monetarist Perspective,” Journal of Economic Studies, (24:4), 1997, pp. 192-222.
- The Entropy Law and Economic Process, Harvard University Press, Cambridge, MA, 1971.
- Make, Buy, or Ally: A Meta-Analysis of Transaction Cost Theory,” Academy of Management Journal, (49:3), 2006, pp. 519-543. , and .
- The Use of Knowledge in Society,” American Economic Review, (35:September), 1945, pp. 519-530.
- The Institutional Environment for Institutional Investment,” Journal of Law Economics and Organization, (16:2), 2000, pp. 334-364.
- Vertical Integration, Appropriable Rents, and the Competitive Contracting Process,” Journal of Law and Economics, (21:October), 1978, pp. 297-326. , and .
- Markets and Hierarchies and (Mathematical) Economic Theory.” In GlennCarroll and DavidTeece (Eds.) Firms, Markets, and Hierarchies, Oxford University Press, New York, 1999, pp. 121-155.
- The Theory of Incentives: The Principal-Agent Model, Princeton University Press, Princeton, NJ, 2002. and .
- Vertical Integration and Firm Boundaries: The Evidence,” Journal of Economic Literature, (45:September), 2007, pp. 629-685. and .
- What Price Contract? An Essay in Perspective,” Yale Law Journal, (40), 1931, pp. 704-751.
- 2006. and “Transaction Cost Economics: A Review and Assessment of the Empirical Literature,” unpublished manuscript,
- Information, Expectations and the Theory of the Firm,” Quarterly Journal of Economics, (75:August), 1961, pp. 399-421.
- The Economics of Hybrid Organizations,” Journal of Institutional and Theoretical Economics, (160:3), 2004, pp. 345-376.
- Defining Supply Chain Management,” Journal of Business Logistics, (22:2), 2001, pp. 1-25. , , , , , and .
- The Commitment-Trust Theory of Relationship Marketing,” Journal of Marketing, (58:3), 1994, pp. 20-38. and .
- Surviving Industrial Targeting: State Credibility and Public Policy Contingencies in Multinational Subcontracting,” Journal of Law Economics and Organization, (7:1), 1991, pp. 117-143.
- Institutional Environment and the Mechanisms of Governance: The Impact of Intellectual Property Protection on the Structure of Inter-Firm Alliances,” Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, (38:3), 1999, pp. 283-309.
- Organizations, 2nd ed., Prentice Hall, Englewood Cliffs, NJ, 1987.
- Models of Man, John Wiley & Sons, New York, 1957.
- The Architecture of Complexity,” Proceedings of the American Philosophical Society, (106:December), 1962, pp. 467-482.
- Human Nature in Politics: The Dialogue of Psychology with Political Science,” American Political Science Review, (79), 1985, pp. 293-304.
- A native informant speaks,” Journal of Economic Methodology, (8:March), 2001, pp. 111-112.
- The Innovative Organization: Creating Value Through Outsourcing,” California Management Review, (50:1), 2007, pp. 261-277.
- Organizations in Action, McGraw-Hill, New York, 1967.
- Assessing Property Rights and Transaction-Cost Theories of the Firm,” American Economic Review, (91), 2001, pp. 184-199.
- The Vertical Integration of Production: Market Failure Considerations,” American Economic Review, (61:May), 1971, pp. 112-123.
- Markets and Hierarchies: Analysis and Antitrust Implications, Free Press, New York, 1975.
- The Economic Institutions of Capitalism, Free Press, New York, 1985.
- Comparative Economic Organization: The Analysis of Discrete Structural Alternatives,” Administrative Science Quarterly, (36:June), 1991, pp. 269-296.
- The Theory of the Firm as Governance Structure: From Choice to Contract,” Journal of Economic Perspectives, (16:Summer), 2002, pp. 171-195.
- Examining Economic Organization Through the Lens of Contract,” Industrial and Corporate Change, (12:4), 2003, pp. 917-942.
- Pragmatic Methodology: A Sketch with Applications to Transaction Cost Economics,” Journal of Economic Methodology, 2007a, forthcoming.
- 2007b. “Opening the Black Box of Firm and Market Organization: Antitrust,” working paper, University of California, Berkeley,
- Corporate Boards of Directors: In Principle and in Practice,” Journal of Law, Economics, and Organization, 2008, forthcoming.