Implications of Rate-Limited Mass Transfer for Aquifer Storage and Recovery
Article first published online: 6 MAR 2008
© 2008 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2008 National Ground Water Association
Volume 46, Issue 4, pages 591–605, July–August 2008
How to Cite
Culkin, S. L., Singha, K. and Day-Lewis, F. D. (2008), Implications of Rate-Limited Mass Transfer for Aquifer Storage and Recovery. Groundwater, 46: 591–605. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2008.00435.x
- Issue published online: 4 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 6 MAR 2008
- Received July 2007, accepted January 2008.
- 1985. Potentiometric surfaces of the Coastal Plain aquifers of South Carolina prior to development. USGS Water-Resources Investigations Report 84-4208. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 2000. Pulsed-velocity method of double-porosity solute transport modeling. In IAHS Publication no. 262, 297–302. , , and .
- 1990. Water banking through artificial recharge, Las Vegas, Clark County, Nevada. Journal of Hydrology 115, no. 1–4: 77–103. , and .
- 1997. Evaluation of aquifer storage recovery in the Santee Limestone/Black Mingo Aquifer near Charleston, South Carolina, 1993-95. USGS Water-Resources Investigations Report 96-4283. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , and .
- 1964. Dead end pore volume and dispersion in porous media. Society of Petroleum Engineers Journal 4, no. 1: 73–84. , and .
- 2001. Key success factors in an ASR scheme. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 35, no. 4: 399–409. , and .
- 2000. A dual-domain mass transfer approach for modeling solute transport in heterogeneous aquifers: Application to the macrodispersion experiment (MADE) site. Water Resources Research 26, no. 9: 2501–2516. , , and .
- 2004. Comparison of single-domain and dual-domain subsurface transport models. Ground Water 42, no. 6: 815–828. , , and .
- 2001. Modeling solute diffusion in the presence of pore-scale heterogeneity: Method development and an application to the Culebra dolomite member of the rustler formation, New Mexico, USA. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 48, no. 3–4: 253–276. , and .
- 2002. Geochemical modeling of fluoride concentration changes during aquifer storage and recovery (ASR) in he Chalk aquifer in Wessex, England. Quarterly Journal of Engineering Geology and Hydrogeology 35, no. 2: 203–208. , , , , and .
- 2000. The World’s Water 1998-1999: The Biennial Report on Freshwater Resources. Washington, D.C.: Island Press. .
- 1998. Interpretation of two-region model parameters. Water Resources Research 34, no. 3: 373–384. , , and .
- 1998. Modeling mass transfer processes in soil columns with pore-scale heterogeneity. Soil Science Society of America Journal 62, no. 1: 62–74. , and .
- 1995. Multiple-rate mass transfer for modeling diffusion and surface reactions in media with pore-scale heterogeneity. Water Resources Research 35, no. 10: 2382–2400. , and .
- 2001. Tracer tests in a fractured dolomite: 3. Double-porosity, multiple-rate mass transfer processes in convergent flow tracer tests. Water Resources Research 37, no. 5: 1143–1151. , , , and .
- 2000. MODFLOW-2000, the U.S. Geological Survey modular ground-water model—User guide to modularization concepts and the ground-water flow process. USGS Open-File Report 00-92. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , and .
- 1994. Aquifer remediation: A method for estimating mass transfer rate coefficients and an evaluation of pulsed pumping. Water Resources Research 30, no. 7: 1979–1992. , , and .
- 1991. An experimental investigation of the effect of idealized heterogeneity on the dispersion of miscible fluids. Water Resources Research 27, no. 9: 2473–2482. , and .
- 2004. Dual-domain solute transfer and transport processes: Evaluation in batch and transport experiments. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 75, no. 3–4: 257–280. , , , and .
- 2004. Geochemical processes during five years of aquifer storage recovery. Ground Water 42, no. 3: 438–445. , , , , and .
- 2005. Isotope evolution and contribution to geochemical investigations in aquifer storage and recovery: A case study using reclaimed water at Bolivar, South Australia. Hydrological Processes 19, 3395–3411. , , , , , and .
- 2004. Assessment of aquifer storage recovery; defining hydraulic controls on recovery efficiency at three representative sites in Wisconsin. M.S. thesis, Department of Geology and Geophysics, University of Wisconsin at Madison, Madison, Wisconsin. .
- 2006. An assessment of aquifer storage recovery using ground water flow models. Ground Water 44, no. 5: 661–667. , and .
- 1996. Stable isotope characterization of the impacts of artificial ground water recharge. Water Resources Bulletin 26, no. 6: 1273–1282. , and .
- 1998. Solute changes during aquifer storage recovery testing in a limestone/clastic aquifer. Ground Water 36, no. 3: 394–403. , , , and .
- 2006. Comment on “Investigating the Macrodipersion Experiment (MADE) site in Columbus, Mississippi, using a three-dimensional inverse flow and transport model” by Heidi Christiansen Barlebo, Marcy C. Hill, and Dan Rosbjerg. Water Resources Research 42, no. 10: W06603. , , , and .
- 2001. Geochemical modeling of an aquifer storage recovery experiment, Charleston, South Carolina. USGS Open-File Report 02-89. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 1994. Heterogeneous sorption processes in subsurface systems. 1. Model formulations and applications. Environmental Science and Technology 28, no. 12: 2094–2104. , and .
- 2004. Hydrologic and geochemical evaluation of aquifer storage recovery in the Santee Limestone/Black Mingo Aquifer, Charleston, South Carolina, 1998-2002. USGS Scientific Investigations Report 2004-5046. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , , , , and .
- 1975. Mixing of sea water with calcium carbonate ground water. Geological Society of America Memoir 142, 219–236. .
- 1995. Groundwater Recharge and Wells. Boca Raton, Florida: Lewis Publishers. .
- 1980. Solute transport in aggregated porous media. Soil Science Society of America Journal 44, no. 6: 1139–1146. , , , and .
- 2002. Inventory and review of aquifer storage and recovery in Southern Florida. USGS Water-Resources Investigations Report 04-0236. Reston, Virginia: USGS. .
- 2007. Geoelectrical evidence of biocontinuum transport in groundwater. Geophysical Research Letters 34, no. 12: L12401. , , and .
- 2002. Water quality changes during aquifer storage and recovery at Bolivar, South Australia. In Management of Aquifer Recharge for Sustainability, ed. P.J.Dillon, 265–268. Lisse, The Netherlands: Swets & Zeitlinger. , , , and .
- 1976. Mass transfer studies in sorbing porous media I. Analytical solutions. Soil Science Society of America Journal 40, no. 4: 473–479. , and .
- 2002. Applied Contaminant Transport Modeling. New York: John Wiley and Sons. , and .
- 1999. MT3DMS, a modular three-dimensional transport model for simulation of advection, dispersion, and chemical reaction of contaminants in groundwater systems; documentation and user’s guide. U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center Contract Report SERDP-99-1. Vicksburg, Mississippi: U.S. Army Engineer Research and Development Center. , and .