Some Considerations in Applying Background Concentrations to Ground Water Studies
Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
© 2008 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2008 National Ground Water Association
Volume 46, Issue 6, pages 790–792, November–December 2008
How to Cite
Kelly, W.R. and Panno, S.V. (2008), Some Considerations in Applying Background Concentrations to Ground Water Studies. Groundwater, 46: 790–792. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6584.2008.00467.x
- Issue published online: 23 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 4 JUL 2008
- Received December 2007, accepted April 2008.
- 2002. Geology of mankind. Nature 415, no. 6867: 23. .
- 1983. Groundwater Monitoring and Sampling Bias. Department of Earth Sciences, University of Waterloo. Prepared for American Petroleum Institute, API Pub. 4367. , , , and .
- 1997. Statistical Methods in Water Resources. New York: Elsevier. , and .
- 1993. Groundwater contamination due to road de-icing chemicals: Salt balance implications. Geoscience Canada 20, no. 1: 1–8. , and .
- 1997. Heterogeneities in ground-water geochemistry in a sand aquifer beneath an irrigated field. Journal of Hydrology 198, no. 1–4: 154–176. .
- 2008. An evaluation of temporal changes in shallow groundwater quality in northeastern Illinois using historical data. Illinois State Water Survey Scientific Report 2008-01. Champaign, Illinois: Illinois State Water Survey. , and .
- 1985. Overview of the occurrence of nitrate in ground water of the United States. In National Water Summary 1984: Hydrological events, selected water-quality trends, and ground-water resources, 93–105. USGS Water Supply Paper 2275. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 1996. Nutrients in the nation’s waters—Too much of a good thing? USGS Circular 1136. Reston, Virginia: USGS. , and .
- 2007. A Visual Basic spreadsheet macro for geochemical background analysis. Ground Water 45, no. 5: 642–647. , , and .
- 2006. Estimating background and threshold nitrate concentrations using probability graphs. Ground Water 44, no. 5: 697–709. , , , and .
- 1991. Nitrate reduction in an unconfined sandy aquifer: Water chemistry, reduction processes, and geochemical modeling. Water Resources Research 27, no. 8: 2027–2045. , , , and .
- 2006. Widespread presence of naturally occurring perchlorate in high plains of Texas and New Mexico. Environmental Science & Technology 40, no. 10: 3156–3162. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Widespread natural perchlorate in unsaturated zones of the southwest United States. Environmental Science & Technology 41, no. 13: 4522–4528. , , , , , , , , , and .
- 1998. Investigations of natural background geochemistry–scientific, regulatory, and engineering issues. GSA Today 8, no. 3: 10–11. .
- 1991. A fundamental approach to threshold estimation in exploration geochemistry: Probability plots revisited. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 41, no. 1–2: 1–22. .
- 1974. Selection of threshold values in geochemical data using probability graphs. Journal of Geochemical Exploration 3, no. 2: 129–149. .
- 1986. Cycles of Soil: Carbon, Nitrogen, Phosphorus, Sulfur, Micronutrients. New York: John Wiley & Sons. .
- USGS. 2004. Water basics glossary. http://capp.water.usgs.gov/GIP/h2o_gloss/ (accessed March 27, 2008).
- 2008. Are we now living in the Anthropocene? GSA Today 18, no. 2: 4–7. , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , and .