Cutting-Edge Technical Papers
Optimal Field Approaches for Electrokinetic In Situ Oxidation Remediation
Article first published online: 4 SEP 2012
© 2012, The Author(s). Ground Water Monitoring & Remediation © 2012, National Ground Water Association
Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation
Volume 33, Issue 1, pages 62–74, Winter 2013
How to Cite
Wu, M. Z., Reynolds, D. A., Fourie, A. and Thomas, D. G. (2013), Optimal Field Approaches for Electrokinetic In Situ Oxidation Remediation. Groundwater Monitoring & Remediation, 33: 62–74. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6592.2012.01410.x
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 4 SEP 2012
- 1993. Principles of electrokinetic remediation. Environmental Science and Technology 27, no. 13: 2638–2647. , and .
- 1999a. Optimization of 2-D electrode configuration for electrokinetic remediation. Journal of Soil Contamination 8, no. 6: 617–635. , , , and .
- 1999b. Practical aspects of in-situ electrokinetic extraction. Journal of Environmental Engineering 125, no. 1: 27–35. , , and .
- 1996. Electrokinetic remediation II: Theoretical model. Journal of Geotechnical Engineering 122, no. 3: 186–196. , and .
- 2007. Okavango Delta Islands: Interaction between density-driven flow and geochemical reactions under evapo-concentration. Journal of Hydrology 335, nos. 3–4: 389–405. , , , , and .
- 2010. Geochemical controls on sediment reactivity and buffering processes in a heterogeneous aquifer. Applied Geochemistry 25, no. 2: 261–275. , , , , and .
- 2007. The use of 2D non-uniform electric field to enhance in situ bioremediation of 2,4-dichlorophenol-contaminated soil. Journal of Hazardous Materials 148, nos. 1–2: 29–37. , , , , and .
- 2006. Optimization of electrode matrix for electrokinetic bioremediation. China Environmental Science 26, no. 1: 34–38. , , and .
- 2001. Applied Hydrogeology, 4th ed. Prentice-Hall: Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- 1999. Contaminant Hydrogeology, 2nd ed. Prentice-Hall: Upper Saddle River, New Jersey.
- 2010. Enhanced electrokinetic (E/K) remediation on copper contaminated soil by CFW (carbonized foods waste). Journal of Hazardous Materials 177, nos. 1–3: 530–538. , , , and .
- 2009. Enhanced biodegradation of pentachlorophenol in unsaturated soil using reversed field electrokinetics. Journal of Environmental Management 90, no. 5: 1893–1900. , , , and .
- 2004. Reactivity of organic matter in aquifer sediments: Geological and geochemical controls. Geochimica et Cosmochimica Acta 68, no. 6: 1281–1292. , , , and .
- 2009. Numerical modeling of density-driven chemical oxidation of chlorinated solvents. PhD dissertation, University of British Columbia, Vancouver.
- 2009. Three-dimensional density-dependent flow and multicomponent reactive transport modeling of chlorinated solvent oxidation by potassium permanganate. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 106, nos. 3–4: 195–211. , , , and .
- 2010. Permanganate electromigration in low permeability media. MEngSc dissertation, School of Civil and Resource Engineering, University of Western Australia: Perth.
- 2007a. Quantification of potassium permanganate consumption and PCE oxidation in subsurface materials. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 90, nos. 3–4: 221–239. , , and .
- 2007b. Role of diffusion in chemical oxidation of PCE in a dual permeability system. Environmental Science and Technology 41, no. 24: 8426–8432. , , and .
- 2007. Integration of electrokinetics and chemical oxidation for the remediation of creosote-contaminated clay. Journal of Hazardous Materials 144, nos. 1–2: 538–548. , , , , , , and .
- 1995. Two-dimensional modeling of the removal of contaminants from soils by electric fields. PhD dissertation, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston.
- 2007. The impact of NOD reaction kinetics on treatment efficiency. MAppSc dissertation, Civil Engineering, University of Waterloo, Waterloo.
- 1997. Electrokinetic remediation of contaminated soil. Nonlinear Analysis 30, no. 6: 3391–3398. , and .
- 2005. The use of non-uniform electrokinetics to enhance in situ bioremediation of phenol-contaminated soil. Journal of Hazardous Materials 121, nos. 1–3: 187–194. , , , and .
- 1993. Fundamentals of Soil Behavior, 2nd ed. John Wiley and Sons: New York.
- 2005. Bench-scale investigation of permanganate natural oxidant demand kinetics. Environmental Science and Technology 39, no. 8: 2835–2840. , , and .
- 2007. Multicomponent reactive transport simulation of the Elder problem: Effects of chemical reactions on salt plume development. Water Resources Research 43, no. W10404: 1–13. , and .
- 2003. MODFLOW/MT3DMS-based reactive multicomponent transport modeling. Ground Water 41, no. 2: 247–257. , , and .
- 2008. Electrokinetic migration of permanganate through low permeability porous media. Ground Water 46, no. 4: 629–637. , , , , and .
- 2006. Electrokinetic delivery of -permanganate into low-permeability soils. International Journal of Environment and Waste Management 1, no. 1: 4–19. , and .
- 1997. Electroosmosis technology for soil remediation: Laboratory results, field trial, and economic modeling. Journal of Hazardous Materials 55, nos. 1–3: 81–91.
- 1992. Electroosmotic contaminant removal process. Journal of Environmental Engineering 118, no. 1: 84–101. , and .
- 2001. Principles and Practices of In Situ Chemical Oxidation Using Permanganate. Batelle Press: Columbus. , , , , and .
- 2010. In situ Remediation of Chlorinated Solvent Plumes. Springer: Dordrecht. , and .
- 2002. Diffusive transport of permanganate during in situ oxidation. Journal of Environmental Engineering 128, no. 4: 327–334. , , , and .
- 1997. Effect of aqueous phase properties on clay particle zeta potential and electro-osmotic permeability: Implications for electro-kinetic soil remediation processes. Journal of Hazardous Materials 55, nos. 1–3: 1–22. , and .
- 2006. Kinetics of contaminant degradation by permanganate. Environmental Science and Technology 40, no. 3: 1055–1061. , and .
- 2007. Simultaneous removal of organic contaminants and heavy metals from kaolin using an upward electrokinetic soil remediation process. Journal of Hazardous Materials 144, nos. 1–2: 292–299. , , , and .
- 2006. Removal of heavy metals from kaolin using an upward electrokinetic soil remedial (UESR) technology. Journal of Hazardous Materials 136, no. 3: 532–541. , , , and .
- 2012a. Electrokinetic in situ oxidation remediation: Assessment of parameter sensitivities and the influence of aquifer heterogeneity on remediation efficiency. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 136–137: 72–85. , , , , and .
- 2012b. Numerical evaluation of voltage gradient constraints on electrokinetic injection of amendments. Advances in Water Resources 38: 60–69. , , , , and .
- 2009. A long-term bench-scale investigation of permanganate consumption by aquifer materials. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 110, nos. 3–4: 73–86. , and .
- 2010. A laboratory feasibility study on a new electrokinetic nutrient injection pattern and bioremediation of phenanthrene in a clayey soil. Journal of Hazardous Materials 184, nos. 1–3: 798–804. , , , , and .
- 1999. Oxidative degradation and kinetics of chlorinated ethylenes by potassium permanganate. Journal of Contaminant Hydrology 37, nos. 3–4: 343–365. , and .
- 1990. Electrokinetic barrier to contaminant transport through compacted clay. PhD dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- 2010. 2D crossed electric field for electrokinetic remediation of chromium contaminated soil. Journal of Hazardous Materials 177, nos. 1–3: 1126–1133. , , , and .