Patrick De Pelsmacker (firstname.lastname@example.org) is a marketing professor at the University of Antwerp.
Do Consumers Care about Ethics? Willingness to Pay for Fair-Trade Coffee
Article first published online: 1 SEP 2005
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Volume 39, Issue 2, pages 363–385, Winter 2006
How to Cite
DE PELSMACKER, P., DRIESEN, L. and RAYP, G. (2005), Do Consumers Care about Ethics? Willingness to Pay for Fair-Trade Coffee. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39: 363–385. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2005.00019.x
Financial support of the University Development Cooperation of the Flemish Interuniversity Council is gratefully acknowledged. The authors wish to thank the participants of the 33rd European Marketing Academy (EMAC) conference for their useful comments and suggestions. All remaining errors are ours.
- Issue published online: 1 SEP 2005
- Article first published online: 1 SEP 2005
- ACNielsen. 2002. Data on the Belgian Coffee Market (1999–2001). Unpublished technical report and data. Brussels: ACNielsen.
- 1972. The Socially Conscious Consumer. Journal of Marketing, 36 (July): 23–31. and .
- 1998. Consumer Behavior. A European Perspective. Chichester: John Wiley & Sons. and .
- 2000. Wither Ethical Consumerism: Do Consumers Value Ethical Attributes? Unpublished working paper, Australian Graduate School of Management, University of New South Wales. , , and .
- 1997. Ethical Consumerism: The Case of “Fairly-Traded” Coffee. Business Ethics: A European Review, 6 (3): 159–167. and .
- 2000. Do Consumers Really Care about Corporate Responsibility? Highlighting the Attitude–Behavior Gap. Journal of Communication Management, 4 (4): 355–368. and .
- 2000. Organic Production and Ethical Trade: Definition, Practice and Links. Food Policy, 25 (1): 69–89. , , , , and .
- 2001. The Myth of the Ethical Consumer—Do Ethics Matter in Purchase Behavior? Journal of Consumer Marketing, 18 (7): 560–577. and .
- 1995. Psychometric Methods in Marketing Research: Part I, Conjoint Analysis. Journal of Marketing Research, 32 (November): 385–391. and .
- 1995. Brand Equity, Brand Preference, and Purchase Intent. Journal of Advertising, 24 (Fall): 25–41. , , and .
- 2000. Who Are the Ethical Consumers? Booklet for the Co-operative Bank. Manchester. and .
- 2001. Unpacking the Ethical Product. Journal of Business Ethics, 30 (4): 361–373. .
- CRC-Consommation. 1998. Commerce Ethique: les Consommateurs Solidaires. Paris: CRC.
- 1997. The Influence of Firm Behavior on Purchase Intention: Do Consumers Really Care about Business Ethics? The Journal of Consumer Marketing, 14 (6): 421–432. and .
- 1990. Organizational Structure of Values. Journal of Business Research, 20 (2): 123–134. , , and .
- 2000. Personal Values, Beliefs, Knowledge, and Attitudes Relating to Intentions to Purchase Apparel from Socially Responsible Businesses. Clothing and Textiles Research Journal, 18 (1): 19–30. .
- 2001. Utility of No Sweat Labels for Apparel Consumers: Profiling Label Users and Predicting Their Purchases. The Journal of Consumer Affairs 35 (1): 96–119. .
- 2001. Taking Flight: The Rapid Growth of Ethical Consumerism. London: New Economics Foundation. .
- Eurostat. 2002. Labour Force Survey. Luxembourg: Office for Official Publications of the European Union.
- 1985. A Contingency Framework for Understanding Ethical Decision Making in Marketing. Journal of Marketing, 49 (Summer): 87–96. and .
- 1994. The Impact of Personal Values on Judgments of Ethical Behavior in the Workplace. Journal of Business Ethics, 13 (9): 747–755. .
- 1995. Personal Values: Potential Keys to Ethical Decision Making. Journal of Business Ethics, 14 (11): 909–922. .
- 1993. Multiple Interpretations of the Rokeach Value Survey. Journal of Social Psychology, 133 (6): 797–804. and .
- 2001. Thirty Years of Conjoint Analysis: Reflections and Prospects. Interfaces, 31 (May/June): 56–73. , , and .
- 1978. Incorporating Group-Level Similarity Judgments in Conjoint Analysis. Journal of Consumer Research, 5 (December): 187–193. , , and .
- 1978. Conjoint Analysis in Consumer Research: Issues and Outlook. Journal of Consumer Research, 5 (September): 103–123. and .
- 1995. Implicit Social Cognition Research: Attitudes, Self-Esteem and Stereotypes. Psychological Review, 102 (1): 4–27. and .
- 1998. Multivariate Data Analysis. 5th edition. London: Prentice Hall International. , , , and .
- 2000. Ethical Consumerism. A Research Study Conducted for the Co-operative Bank by MORI. London: MORI. and .
- 1993. The General Theory of Marketing Ethics: A Retrospective and Revision. In Ethics in Marketing, edited by N. C.Smith and J. A.Quelch (775–784). Homewood, IL: Irwin. and .
- 2002. Effectenstudie en Opiniepeiling over Eerlijke Handel in België. Research Report for the Belgian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation, Brussels. .
- 2000. Social Desirability Bias: A Neglected Aspect of Validity Testing. Psychology and Marketing, 17 (2): 79–103. and .
- 2001. Fair Trade in Europe 2001: Facts and Figures on the Fair Trade Sector in 18 European Countries. Maastricht: EFTA Research Report. .
- 1999. Social Responsibility in the Global Market. Fair Trade of Cultural Products. Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications. and .
- 2000. The Fair Share: The Growing Market Share of Green and Ethical Products. London: New Economics Foundation. .
- 2001. Corporate Citizenship as a Marketing Instrument—Concepts, Evidence and Research Directions. European Journal of Marketing, 35 (3/4): 457–484. and .
- 2002. Using the Implicit Association Test to Study the Relation between Consumer's Implicit Attitudes and Product Usage. Asia Pacific Advances in Consumer Research, 5: 206–207. .
- 1998. Individual Values in Organizations: Concepts, Controversies and Research. Journal of Management, 24 (3): 351–390. and .
- 2003. Kennis, Houding en Gedrag van de Belgen t.a.v. Fair Trade Producten. Conclusies uit Vier Focusgroepgesprekken. UAMS research paper. Antwerpen, Belgium: Universiteit Antwerpen Management School. , , and .
- 2000. European Attitudes towards Corporate Social Responsibility. Research for CSR Europe. London: MORI. .
- 1979. Developing Practical Procedures for the Measurement of Personal Values in Cross-Cultural Marketing. Journal of Marketing Research, 16 (February): 48–52. and .
- 1980. The Factorial Validity of a Modified Rokeach Value Survey for Four Diverse Samples. Educational and Psychological Measurement, 40 (Winter): 1073–1079. and .
- 2001. Personal Value Profiles and Ethical Business Decisions. Journal of Education for Business, 76 (5): 251–256. and .
- 2000. Use of Collective Trademarks in Consumers Choice of Foods—Preliminary Results. Okonomisk Fiskeriforskning, 10 (2): 144–161. .
- 1998. Conducting Full-Profile Conjoint Analysis over the Internet. Sequium, WA: Sawtooth Software Research Paper Series. and .
- 1995. Profiling Levels of Socially Responsible Consumer Behavior: A Cluster Analytic Approach and Its Implications for Marketing. Journal of Marketing – Theory and Practice 97–117. .
- 1996. Will the Real Socially Responsible Consumer Please Step Forward? Business Horizons, 39 (1): 79–83. .
- 1973. The Nature of Human Values. New York: Free Press. .
- 2001. The Ethical Dimensions of Decision Processes of Employees. Journal of Business Ethics, 33 (2): 87–99. , , and .
- 1999. Belief Formation in Ethical Consumer Groups: An Exploratory Study. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 17 (2/3): 109–119. and .
- 1994. Are Women More Ethical than Men? Journal of Business Ethics, 13 (November): 859–871. . and .
- 2000. Fair Trade Coffee: An Overview of the Issue. http://www.organicconsumers.org/starbucks/coffback.htm. .
- 1996. Features Contributing to the Growth of Ethical Consumerism—A Preliminary Investigation. Marketing Intelligence & Planning, 14 (5): 5–13. .
- 2001. Ethical Consumers and Ethical Trade: A Review of Current Literature. Policy Series 12. Chatham, UK: Natural Resources Institute. , , and .
- The Roper Organization, Inc. 1990. The Environment: Public Attitudes and Individual Behavior. New York: Commissioned by S.C. Johnson & Son, Inc.
- 1990. Ethical Beliefs Differences of Males and Females. Journal of Business Ethics, 9 (6): 509–517. and .
- 1995. Facing Public Interest: The Ethical Challenge to Business Policy and Corporate Communications. London: Kluwer Academic Publications. and .
- 1977. An Investigation of the Rokeach Value Survey for Consumer Research Applications. In Advances in Consumer Research, vol. 4, edited by (247–252). Provo, UT: Association for Consumer Research. , , and .
- 2001. Consumer Ethics: An Application and Empirical Testing of the Hunt-Vitell Theory of Ethics. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 18 (2): 153–178. ., , and .