Toward a General Model of Consumer Empowerment and Welfare in Financial Markets with an Application to Mortgage Servicers
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
Copyright 2008 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Financial Literacy: Public Policy and Consumers� Self-Protection
Volume 42, Issue 2, pages 165–188, Summer 2008
How to Cite
BONE, P. F. (2008), Toward a General Model of Consumer Empowerment and Welfare in Financial Markets with an Application to Mortgage Servicers. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42: 165–188. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2008.00103.x
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- 2007. Chairman, Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation, Statement before the U.S. House of Representatives, FDIC Speeches & Testimony. http://www.fdic.gov/news/news/speeches/chairman/spapr1707.html (retrieved May 9, 2007). .
- Better Business Bureau. 2004. 12% Complaint Increase at Better Business Bureau in 2003. http://www.thebbb.org/release.html?value=288 (retrieved May 9, 2007).
- 2002. The Customer Orientation of Service Workers: Personality Trait Effects on Self- and Supervisor Performance Ratings. Journal of Marketing Research, 34 (February): 110 – 119. , , , and .
- 2001. Consumer Lending and Deposit Abuses. Journal of Public Policy and Marketing, 20 (1): 138 – 143. , , and .
- Business Wire, Inc. 2006. GMAC Mortgage Announces New Subservicing Leadership. Business Wire. http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_2006_Dec_11/ai_n16884102 (retrieved May 9, 2007).
- 2005. Insurance Disclosures: An Effective Mechanism to Increase Consumers’ Insurance Marketing Power? Journal of Insurance Regulation, 24 (2): 57 – 80.
- 2007. When Mortgage Firms Don’t Play Fair. Businessweek.com. http://realestate.msn.com/buying/Article_busweek.aspx?cp-documentid=2133885. .
- 2002. Consumers and Credit Disclosures: Credit Cards and Credit Insurance. Federal Reserve Bulletin, 88 (April): 201 – 213.
- 2006. Credit Card Disclosures, Solicitations and Privacy Notices: Survey Results of Consumer Knowledge and Behavior. Federal Reserve Bulletin, 92: A109 – A121.
- 1962. Power-Dependence Relationships. American Sociological Review, 27 (February): 31 – 41. .
- 2000. Competitive and Procedural Determinants of Delight and Disappointment in Consumer Complaint Outcomes. Journal of Services Research, 2 (February): 285 – 300. .
- 2003. Sources, Characteristics, and Dynamics of Postpurchase Price Complaints. Journal of Business Research, 56 (May): 411 – 419. .
- 2000. Initiatives. http://www.fanniemae.com/initiatives/consumerrights.jhtml. .
- Federal Trade Commission. 1998. Home Equity Loans: Borrowers Beware. FTC Consumer Alert. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/consumer/homes/rea11.shtm.
- Federal Trade Commission. 2003a. Mortgage Servicing: Making Sure Your Payments Count. FTC Facts for Consumers, Bureau of Consumer Protection, Office of Consumer and Business Education, Washington, DC. http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/homes/mortgserv.pdf (retrieved May 9, 2007).
- Federal Trade Commission. 2003b. Fairbanks Capital Settles FTC and HUD Charges, FTC Press Release. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2003/11/fairbanks.shtm (retrieved November 12, 2007).
- Federal Trade Commission. 2006. New Year Begins for Free Annual Credit Report Program. http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2006/09/credit.shtm (retrieved September 18, 2007).
- Fitch, Inc. 2007. Fitch Ratings Definitions: Servicer Ratings. http://www.fitchratings.com/corporate/fitchResources.cfm?detail=1&rd_file=serv.
- Fitzgerald & Brooks PA. 2007. Attorneys at Law. Professional correspondence. March-May.
- 2007. Frequently Asked Questions about Freddie Mac. Freddie Mac, Washington, DC. http://www.freddiemac.com/corporate/about/who_we_are/faq.html. .
- 2006. Secondary Mortgage Markets and Access to Credit 1992-2002. Working paper. and .
- 2007. e-mail correspondence, May 14. .
- 2007. About Ginnie Mae. http://www.ginniemae.gov/about/mission.asp?subTitle=About. .
- 2004. Valuing Customers. Journal of Marketing Research, 41 (1): 7 – 18. , , and .
- 2003. A Mortgage Servicing System for Borrowers? http://www.mtgprofessor.com/A%20-%20Servicing/a_servicing_system_for_borrowers.htm. .
- 2004. Borrowers Should Be Able to Fire Mortgage Servicers. http://www.mtgprofessor.com/A%20-%20Servicing/borrowers_should_be_able_to_fire_servicers.htm. .
- 2007. Home Loan Servicing Gone Awry. http://db.inman.com/inman/content/subscribers/inman/column.cfm?StoryId=070102JG&columnistid=guttentag. .
- 2000. Psychological Determinant of Financial Preparedness for Retirement. The Gerontologist, 40 (6): 687 – 697. and .
- 2002. Consumer Complaints and Redress: An Important Mechanism for Protecting and Empowering Consumers. International Journal of Consumer Studies, 26 (September): 217 – 226. and .
- J.D. Powers. 2002. J.D. Power and Associates Reports: Customer Service and Attention to Detail Drive Home Mortgage Customer Satisfaction. Press Release. http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pressrelease.asp?ID=2002144 (retrieved May 7, 2007).
- J.D. Powers. 2006. J.D. Power and Associates Reports: USAA Ranks Highest in Customer Satisfaction with Primary Mortgage Servicing. Press Release. http://www.jdpower.com/corporate/news/releases/pdf/2006117.pdf (retrieved May 7, 2007).
- Jump$tart. 2006. Financial Literacy: Improving Education 2006 National Jump$tart Coalition Survey: Executive Summary. http://www.jumpstart.org/download.cfm.
- Jump$tart. 2007. Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy. http://www.jumpstart.org/.
- 2007. Information Regulation is Tricky: Lessons from Mortgage Disclosure Research. Presented at the Behavioral Economics and Consumer Conference. Washington, DC: Federal Trade Commission. and .
- 2002. Where Does the Money Come from for Mortgage Loans? EalEstateabs.com, http://www.realestateabc.com/loanguide/mortgage.htm. .
- 2007. Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing: The Problems Are Serious; And Remedies Are Not Simple. Business Economics, 42 (January): 35 – 44. and .
- 2007. Dropping the Ball. Fortune, March 19, 155 (6): 21 – 22. .
- NCLC Reports. 2006. Challenging Mortgage Servicer “Junk” Fees and Plan Payment Misapplications: Making Use of New Section 524(i). NCLC Reports Bankruptcy and Foreclosures Edition, 25 (November/December): 11 – 14.
- 2007a. Telephone Interview, March 19. .
- 2007b. E-mail Correspondence, May 22. .
- Privacy Leadership Initiative. 2001. Privacy Notices Research Final Result. Harris Interactive, Rochester, New York. Study No. 15338. http://www.bbbonline.org/understandingprivacy/library/datasum.pdf
- 2005. Collier Portable Pamphlet: Text of the Bankruptcy Code and Additional Statutory Provisions Showing changes made by the Bankruptcy Abuse Prevention and Consumer Protection Act of 2005. Newark, NJ: LexisNexis. and .
- 2004. Institute Supports CPA Financial Literacy Volunteers. Journal of Accountancy, 198 (6): 17. and .
- 2005. Mortgage Servicing Abuses. Presented at the National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys. Thirteenth Annual Convention (April 20-May 1). National Association of Consumer Bankruptcy Attorneys, San Diego, CA. , , , and .
- 2007. Sub-prime: Big Talk, Little Help. CNNMoney.com. September 26. http://money.cnn.com/2007/09/26/real_estate/few_loan_modifications/index.htm?postversion=2007092617. .
- 2007. Bush Want to Expand Mortgage Disclosures: Prior Plan to Boost Borrower Awareness of Costs Is Revived. Wall Street Journal, 86 (September 20): D3. .
- Standard & Poor’s. 2004. Servicer Evaluation Ranking Criteria. http://www2.standardandpoors.com/spf/pdf/products/Servicer%20Evaluations%20Ranking%20Criteria%20(Sep%2021,%202004).pdf?vregion=us&vlang=enBarclays (retrieved September 21, 2007).
- 2007. Attorney at Law. Personal Interview, October 10, 2007. .
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2006a. Increased Complexity in Rates and Fees Heightens Need for More Effective Disclosures to Consumers. Summary. http://www.gao.gov/docsearch/abstract.php?rptno=GAO-06-929 (retrieved September 12, 2007).
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2006b. Alternative Mortgage Products: Impact on Defaults Remains Unclear, but Disclosure of Risks to Borrowers Could be Improved, statement by Orice M. Williams. (September 20). GAO-06–1112T.
- U.S. Treasury. 2007. Office of Financial Education: Overview. http://www.ustreas.gov/offices/domestic-finance/financial-institution/fin-education/overview.shtml (retrieved March 9, 2007).
- 2007. Countrywide to Cut Up to 12,000 Jobs Amid Mortgage Trouble. USA Today. http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2007-09-07-countrywide-job-cuts_N.htm (retrieved September 7, 2007). .