An earlier version of this article appeared in Democracy: A Journal of Ideas, Summer 2007.
Product Safety Regulation as a Model for Financial Services Regulation
Article first published online: 28 AUG 2008
Copyright 2008 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Volume 42, Issue 3, pages 452–460, Fall 2008
How to Cite
WARREN, E. (2008), Product Safety Regulation as a Model for Financial Services Regulation. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42: 452–460. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2008.00122.x
- Issue published online: 28 AUG 2008
- Article first published online: 28 AUG 2008
- 2007. Foreclosure Hurts Long after Home’s Gone, So Cut a Deal While You Can. USA Today, March 23, 3B, .
- 2001. Predatory Lending: An Overview. Fannie Mae Foundation, Washington, DC. (Brokers use yield spread premiums, which one Fannie Mae Foundation vice president described as “lender kickbacks.”). and .
- Congressional Quarterly Money Line. 2008. http://www.fecinfo.com/cgi-win/x_sic.exe?DoFn=&all=1. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- Consumer Federation of America. 2007. Rising Energy Costs Dampen Holiday Spending Plans. http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news04/2007/11/holiday_spending.html. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- Credit & Collections World. 2008. Nationwide Foreclosures Jumped 75% in 2007. http://www.creditcollectionsworld.com/article.html?id=20080129S4FTCWQT&from=creditandcollectionnews. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- Department of Defense. 2006. Report on Predatory Lending Practices Directed at Members of the Armed Forces and Their Dependents. http://www.usa4militaryfamilies.dod.mil/dav/lsn/LSN/BINARY_RESOURCE/BINARY_CONTENT/2141721.pdf. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- Government Accountability Office. 2006. Increased Complexity in Rates and Fees Heightens Need for More Effective Disclosures to Consumers. http://www.gao.gov/new.items/d06929.pdf. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- HR 3974: The Prohibit Predatory Lending Act. 2004. Miller (D-NC) & Watt (D-NC), http://www.responsiblelending.org/policy/congress/108.html. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- HR 1182: The Prohibit Predatory Lending Act. 2005. Miller (D-NC), Watt (D-NC), Frank (D-MA). http://www.responsiblelending.org/policy/congress/109.html. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- 2007. Regulators Scrutinized in Mortgage Meltdown. Wall Street Journal, March 22, A1. and .
- 2001. Just Be More Careful? Legal Times, June 18, 30. and .
- 2006. How Americans Really Feel About Credit Card Debt. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/Financial_Literacy/Feb07_credit_card_poll_national_a1.asp and http://www.usatoday.com/money/economy/housing/2007-03-23-mym-foreclose-usat_N.htm. (Accessed June 9, 2008) .
- 2006. Denying Our Debt. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/financial-literacy2004/debt-denial.asp. (Accessed June 9, 2008) .
- 2004. Fine Print: Growing Profit Source for Banks: Fees From Riskiest Card Holders. Wall Street Journal, July 12, 1 (citing industry consultant Duncan MacDonald, formerly a lawyer for the credit card division of Citigroup Inc.). .
- 2005. Troubles in America: A Study of Negative Life Events. National Opinion Research Council, Chicago. http://www-news.uchicago.edu/releases/05/051228.troubles.pdf. (Accessed June 9, 2008) .
- 2001. Quantifying the Economic Cost of Predatory Lending. Center for Responsible Lending, Durham, NC, http://www.responsiblelending.org/pdfs/Quant10-01.pdf. (Accessed June 9, 2008) .
- Strategy + Business. 2006. Innovating Customer Service: Retail Banking’s New Frontier. http://www.strategy-business.com/sbkwarticle/sbkw061222. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. 2003. Saving Lives and Keeping Families Safe. http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/reports/2003strategic.pdf. (Accessed June 9, 2008)
- 2003. The Two-Income Trap. New York: Basic Books. and .