USDA's Economic Research Service provided support through a RIDGE research grant administered by the Harris School at the University of Chicago. David Betson, Craig Gundersen, and Robert LaLonde made important suggestions, and Andrea Carlson and Kenneth Hanson at USDA provided data and insight. All opinions and errors belong to the authors.
Using the Thrifty Food Plan to Assess the Cost of a Nutritious Diet
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2009
Copyright 2009 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Consumers� Health Literacy
Volume 43, Issue 2, pages 274–304, Summer 2009
How to Cite
WILDE, P. E. and LLOBRERA, J. (2009), Using the Thrifty Food Plan to Assess the Cost of a Nutritious Diet. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 43: 274–304. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2009.01140.x
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2009
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2009
- 2007. Thrifty Food Plan, 2006. CNPP-19. Alexandria, VA: U.S. Department of Agriculture, Center for Nutrition Policy and Promotion. , , , , and
- 2004. An economic framework for understanding physical activity and eating behaviors. American Journal of Preventative Medicine, 27(3S): 117 – 125.
- 2004. Poverty and obesity: The role of energy density and energy costs. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, 79: 6 – 16. and
- 2006. “TFP Model and GAMS Program: Description and Comments.” Unpublished manuscript. U.S. Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service, Washington, DC.
- 2004. The Healthy Heart Initiative: Barriers to Eating a Heart Healthy Diet in a Low Income African American Community. Boston, MA: Brigham and Women's Hospital. , , , , and
- 2007. Unhappy meals. New York Times Magazine, January 27, 2007.
- SAS Institute, Inc. 2004. The NLP Procedure. Cary, NC: SAS Institute, Inc.
- 1945. The cost of subsistence. Journal of Farm Economics, 27: 303 – 314.
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and U.S. Department of Agriculture. 2005. Dietary Guidelines for Americans, 2005 (6th edition). Washington, DC: U.S. Government Printing Office.
- 2008. “The Thrifty Food Plan Calculator.” Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University: Working Papers in Food Policy and Applied Nutrition. , , and