Consumers' Rules of Engagement in Online Information Exchanges
Article first published online: 18 SEP 2009
Copyright 2009 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Privacy Literacy- How Consumers Understand and Protect Their Privacy
Volume 43, Issue 3, pages 419–448, Fall 2009
How to Cite
PODDAR, A., MOSTELLER, J. and ELLEN, P. S. (2009), Consumers' Rules of Engagement in Online Information Exchanges. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 43: 419–448. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2009.01147.x
- Issue published online: 18 SEP 2009
- Article first published online: 18 SEP 2009
- 1963. Towards an Understanding of Inequity. Journal of Abnormal and Social Psychology, 67: 422–436.
- 2003. Angry Customers Don't Come Back, They Get Back: The Experience and Behavioral Implications of Anger and Dissatisfaction in Services. Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science, 31 (4): 377–393. , and .
- 2000. Ethics and Marketing on the Internet: Practitioners' Perceptions of Societal, Industry and Company Concerns. Journal of Business Ethics, 23 (3): 237–248. , and .
- 1978. Equity Theory: The Recent Literature, Methodological Considerations and New Directions. Academy of Management Review, (April): 202–210. and .
- 2002. Price of Privacy: Selling Consumer Databases in Marketing. Journal of Interactive Marketing, (Summer): 47–58.
- 2002. Electronic Monitoring and Privacy Issues in Business-Marketing: The Ethics of the DoubleClick Experience. Journal of Business Ethics, 35 (4): 243–254.
- 1999. Information Privacy Concerns, Procedural Fairness, and Impersonal Trust: An Empirical Investigation. Organization Science, 10 (1): 104–115. and .
- 2002. Trust and Customer Willingness to Provide Information in Database-Driven Relationshiop Marketing. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 16 (3): 2–16. and
- 2007. Equity Perceptions as Deterred to Software Piracy Behavior. Information and Management, 44: 503–512. , and .
- 2003. Empirical Testing of a Model of Online Store Atmospherics and Shopper Responses. Psychology and Marketing, 20 (2): 139–150. , and .
- EurActive Network. 2008. Google-DoubleClick Merger Brings EU into Uncharted Territory. November 13, 2008. http://www.euractiv.com/en/competition/google-doubleclick-merger-brings-eu-uncharted-territory/article-169471.
- EuroPriSe. 2008. First European Privacy Seal Awarded accessed March 16, 2009 at https://www.european-privacy-seal.eu/press-room/press-releases/20080714-europrise-press-release-en.html.
- Federal Trade Commission. 2000. Privacy Online: Fair Information Practices in the Electronic Marketplace. A Report to Congress.
- Federal Trade Commission. 2007a. In Brief: The Financial Privacy Requirements of the Gramm-Leach-Bliley Act. Accessed November 9, 2008. at http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/business/idtheft/bus53.shtm.
- Federal Trade Commission. 2007b. Division of Privacy and Identity Protection. Accessed in October 2008. at: http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/bcppip.shtm.
- Federal Trade Commission. 2008. Agency Announces Settlement of Separate Actions Against Retailer TJX, and Data Brokers Reed Elsevier and Seisint for Failing to Provide Adequate Security for Consumers' Data, Accessed October 25, 2008 at http://www.ftc.gov/opa/2008/03/datasec.shtm.
- 2005. Online Threats and Fears are Changing Consumer Behavior in Pew Internet project. Accessed at: http://www.pewinternet.org/ppt/Fox_IAPP_2005.pdf.
- Gartner, Inc. 2007. Dirty Data’ is a Business Problem, Not an IT Problem, Says Gartner. Accessed November 8, 2008 at http://www.gartner.com/it/page.jsp?id=501733.
- 2001. Ethical Marketing for Competitive Advantage on the Internet. Academy of Marketing Science Review, (2001): 10: 1–7. and .
- 1991. Privacy: Recognition of a Consumer Right. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 10: (Spring): 149–66.
- 2008. A New Voice in Online Privacy. Washington Post, (November 17, 2008), A06. Accessed November 17, 2008 at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/16/AR2008111601624.html?sub=new.
- 2008. Untangling the Rules for Affiliate Marketing: New Federal Regulations Place Limits on How Financial Institutions Can Market to Consumers Using Information Obtained from Affiliates. ABA Bank Marketing. Accessed November 13, 2008 at http://goliath.ecnext.com/coms2/gi_0199-7942094/Untangling-the-new-rules-for.html.
- 1986. Humanistic Inquiry in Marketing Research: Philosophy, Method and Criteri. Journal of Marketing Research, 23 (3): 237–249.
- 1999. Information Privacy in the Marketspace: Implications for the Commercial Uses of Anonymity on the Web. The Information Society, 15 (2): 129–140. , and
- 2007. Exploring Consumer Lying in Information-based Exchanges. Journal of Consumer Marketing, 24 (2): 90–99. , and .
- 2000. Information Load: Its Relationship to Online Exploratory and Shopping Behavior. International Journal of Information Management, 20 (5): 337–347.
- 2000. CRM Plagued by Data Quality Issues, in Infoworld. Accessed at: http://www.infoworld.com/articles/fe/xml/01/10/08/011008feedge.html.
- 1985. Naturalistic Inquiry. Beverly Hills, CA: Sage Publications. and .
- 2004. Identity Theft Legislation: The Fair and Accurate Credit Transactions Act of 2003 and the Road Not Taken, The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 38 (Winter): 204–216. and
- 2003. A Model Integrating the Multidimensional Developmental Theory of Privacy and Theory of Planned Behavior to Examine Fabrication of Information Online. Marketing Letters, 14 (4): 257–272. and
- 2007. Chief Data Steward or Chief Data Officer: Another C-level Acronym. The Data Administration Newsletter, Accessed November 8, 2008 at: http://www.tdan.com/view-articles/4581.
- 1999. What's in a Name? Some Reflections on the Sociology of Anonymity. The Information Society, 15: 99–112.
- 1988. The Long Interview: Qualititative Research Methods, vol 13. Newbury Park, CA: Sage Publications.
- 2006. The Cost of Poor Data Quality: How to Make Better Business Decisions and Positively Affect Your Bottom Line. Research paper by D & B Canada & the Richard Ivey School of Business, University of Western Ontario. Accessed March 16, 2009 at http://www.dnb.co.in/Whitepaper.pdf.
- 2002. Cross-Category Effects of Induced Arousal and Pleasure on the Internet Shopping Experience. Journal of Retailing, 78 (1): 31–40. and
- 2004. Consumers' Protection of Online Privacy and Identity. The Journal of Consumer Affairs, 38 (Winter): 217–232. , and
- 2008. Online Privacy and the Disclosure of Cookie Use: Effects on Consumer Trust and Anticipated Patronage. Journal of Public Policy & Marketing, 27: (Spring): 19–33.
- Privacy Rights Clearinghouse 2007. Model Privacy Form: PRC's Comments to The FTC. Accessed November 9, 2008 at: http://www.privacyrights.org/ar/model-privacy-form.htm.
- 2006. Converting Web Site Visitors into Buyers: How Web Site Investment Increases Consumer Trusting Beliefs and Online Purchase Intentions. Journal of Marketing, 70 (April): 133–148. , and .
- 1999. Flaming, Complaining, Abstaining: How Online Users Respond to Privacy Concerns. Journal of Advertising, 28 (3): 37. and
- 1999. Heart and Mind in Conflict: The Interplay of Affect and Cognition in Consumer Decision Making. Journal of Consumer Research, 26 (3): 278–292. and .
- 2004. Signaling the Trust Worthiness of Small Online Retailers. Journal of Interactive Marketing, 18 (1): 53–69. , and .
- 1994. Analysis and Interpretation of Qualitative Data in Consumer Research. Journal of Consumer Research, 21 (December): 491–503.
- 2001. Ethical Issues in Electronic Commerce. Journal of Business Ethics, 34 (2): 75–85. and
- The Direct Marketing Association 2008a. Guidelines for Ethical Business Practice. Accessed November 13, 2008 at: http://www.dmaresponsibility.org/Guidelines.
- The Direct Marketing Association. 2008b. Consumer Privacy High on Capitol Hill's 2008 Agenda. Accessed November 13, 2008 at: http://www.the-dma.org/cgi/dispannouncements?article=1005.
- 2003. Most People Are Privacy Pragmatists Who, While Concerned about Privacy, Will Sometimes Trade It off for Other Benefits. The Harris Poll® #17, March 19, accessed at: http://www.harrisinteractive.com/harris_poll/index.asp?PID=365.
- 1989. Putting Consumer Experience Back into Consumer Research: The Philosophy and Method of Existential-Phenomenology. Journal of Consumer Research, 16 (September): 133–146. , and .
- 2000. Atmospheric Effects on Shopping Behavior: A Review of the Experimental Evidence. Journal of Business Research, 49: 193–211. and .
- 2004. Whose Identity Is It Anyway? Consumer Representation in the Age of Database Marketing. Journal of Macromarketing, 24 (1): 31–43. and