Financial Literacy Explicated: The Case for a Clearer Definition in an Increasingly Complex Economy
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
Copyright 2010 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Financial Literacy
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 276–295, Summer 2010
How to Cite
REMUND, D. L. (2010), Financial Literacy Explicated: The Case for a Clearer Definition in an Increasingly Complex Economy. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 44: 276–295. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2010.01169.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
- American Literacy Council. 2008. Brief History of the American Literacy Council. http://www.americanliteracy.com (Accessed on September 26, 2008).
- 2004. Financial Literacy in America: A Perfect Storm, a Perfect Opportunity. Journal of Financial Service Professionals, 8 (6): 49–56.
- 2002. Financial Literacy: An Overview of Practice, Research, and Policy. Federal Reserve Bulletin, 88 (448): 445–457. , and .
- 2002. Gender Differences in Personal Financial Literacy among College Students. Financial Services Review, 11: 289–307. , and .
- Comptroller of the Currency. 2008. Financial Literacy Fact Sheet. http://www.occ.treas.gov (Accessed on October 5, 2008).
- Consumer Bankers Association. 2003. CBA 2003 Survey of Bank-Sponsored Financial Literacy Programs. http://www.cbanet.org (Accessed on September 16, 2008).
- 2004. Evaluation of the NEFE® High School Financial Planning Program: 2003-2004. http://hsfpp.nefe.org (Accessed on July 22, 2009). , and .
- 2007. Financial Attitudes and Family Communication Students' Finances: The Role of Sex Differences. Communication Reports, 2: 90–100. , , and .
- 2005. Consumer-Finance Myths and Other Obstacles to Financial Literacy. St. Louis University Public Law Review, 24: 335–362.
- Employee Benefit Research Institute. 2008. 2007 Retirement Confidence Survey. http://www.ebri.org (Accessed on September 15, 2008).
- Financial Fitness for Life. 2008. About the Program. National Council on Economic Education. http://fffl.ncee.net (Accessed on October 4, 2008).
- Financial Literacy Foundation. 2008. Understanding Money Pays Off. http://www.understandingmoney.gov.au (Accessed on October 11, 2008).
- Financial Services Authority. 2008. Moneymadeclear. http://www.moneymadeclear.fsa.gov.uk (Accessed on October 11, 2008).
- 2005. Building the Case for Financial Education. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Summer): 195–214. , , and .
- 2005. Strong Palliative, but Not a Panacea: Results of an Experiment Teaching Students about Financial Literacy. NASFAA Journal of Student Financial Aid, 35 (2): 7–26. , , and .
- 2002. Financial Knowledge, Experience and Learning Preferences: Preliminary Results from a New Survey on Financial Literacy. Consumer Interests Annual: 48: 1–7. , and .
- 2005. Understanding the Impact of Employer-Provided Financial Education on Workplace Satisfaction. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Summer): 73–194. , and .
- 2008. Setting the Standard for Financial Literacy. The Standard (Association for Financial Counseling and Planning Education), 26 (4): 1–11. , and .
- 2008. The Role of Self-Regulation, Future Orientation, and Financial Knowledge in Long-Term Financial Decisions. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 223–242. , , and .
- 2007, August 16. Fighting for Finance. Finweek, 68.
- 1958. A Measurement and Interpretation of Money Management Understandings of Twelfth-Grade Students (Doctoral dissertation, University of Cincinnati).
- 2007. From Financial Literacy to Financial Capability among Youth. Journal of Sociology & Social Welfare, 34 (3): 119–146. , and .
- Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy. 2008. Mission of Jump$tart® Financial Smarts for Students and 2008 Jump$tart High School Senior Questionnaire. http://www.jumpstartcoalition.org (Accessed on October 3, 2008).
- 2007. Financial Literacy Curriculum: The Effect on Offender Money Management Skills. Journal of Correctional Education, 58 (1): 43–56.
- 2008. Financial Literacy, Public Policy, and Consumers' Self-Protection—More Questions, Fewer Answers. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 127–136. , and .
- 2007. Postindustrial Peasants: The Illusion of Middle-Class Prosperity. New York: Worth Publishers. , and .
- 2007. Financial Literacy and Retirement Preparedness: Evidence and Implications for Financial Education. Business Economics, 42 (2): 35–44. , and .
- 2007. What's in a Score? Differences in Consumers' Credit Knowledge Using OLS and Quantile Regressions. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 41 (Winter): 223–249. , , and .
- 2007. Motivation and Financial Literacy. Financial Services Review, 16 (2): 105–116. , and .
- 2007. Selection into Financial Literacy Programs: Evidence from a Field Study. Research Review, 8: 6–8. , and .
- 2005. The Interdependence of Economic and Personal Finance Education. Social Education, 69 (2): 66–69.
- National Endowment for Financial Education. 2006. USA Today/National Endowment for Financial Education ‘Young Adults Finance Poll.’http://www.nefe.org (Accessed on September 12, 2008).
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling. 2008. 2008 Financial Literacy Survey. http://www.nfcc.org (Accessed on October 5, 2008).
- National Institute for Literacy. 2008. Frequently Asked Questions: What Is Literacy? http://www.nifl.gov (Accessed on September 26, 2008).
- 2006. Personality Factors, Money Attitudes, Financial Knowledge, and Credit-Card Debt in College Students. Journal of Applied Social Psychology, 36 (6): 1395–1413. , , , , , and .
- 2005. Who Is in Control? The Role of Self-Perception, Knowledge, and Income in Explaining Consumer Financial Behavior. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Winter): 299–313. , and .
- President's Advisory Council on Financial Literacy. 2009. 2008 Annual Report to the President of the United States of America. http://www.treas.gov (Accessed on August 2, 2009).
- 2002. Adult Preferences in the Delivery of Personal Financial Information. Financial Counseling and Planning, 13 (2): 11–25. , and .
- 2008. Consumer Financial Literacy and the Impact of Online Banking on the Financial Behavior of Lower-Income Bank Customers. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 271–305. , and .
- 2008. Reducing Materialism through Financial Literacy. CPA Journal, 78 (2): 12–14. , , and .
- Task Force on Financial Literacy, Office of the Canadian Minister of Finance. 2009. About Financial Literacy: Definition. http://www.financialliteracyincanada.com (Accessed on August 11, 2009).
- U.S. Department of Commerce, Bureau of Economic Analysis. 2008. National Economic Accounts Data: Personal Income and Outlays . http://www.bea.gov (Accessed on October 5, 2008).
- U.S. Department of the Treasury, Office of Financial Education. 2006. Taking Ownership of the Future: The National Strategy for Financial Literacy. http://www.treas.gov (Accessed on September 9, 2008).
- U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission. 2008. Research Priorities: Results of the National Research Symposium on Financial Literacy and Education. http://www.treas.gov (Accessed on August 10, 2009).
- U.S. Government Accountability Office. 2006. Financial Literacy and Education Commission: Further Progress Needed to Ensure an Effective National Strategy. http://www.gao.gov/cgi-bin/getrpt?GAO-07-100 (Accessed on July 28, 2009).
- 2000. Personal Finance and the Rush to Competence: Financial Literacy Education in the U.S. Middleburg, VA: Institute for Socio-Financial Studies. , , , , , and .
- 2007. Empowerment of Whom and for What? Financial Literacy Education and the New Regulation of Consumer Financial Services. Law & Policy, 29 (2): 226–256.
- Wi$eUp. 2008. About Wi$eUp: Financial Planning for Generation X & Y Women. U.S. Department of Labor. http://wiseupwomen.tamu.edu (Accessed on October 4, 2008).