The author would like to thank Michael Finke for his helpful suggestions in writing this paper. As the principal investigator of the Financial Literacy Assessment Project at Texas Tech University, the author would like to acknowledge research team members Vickie Hampton, Dorothy Durband and Michael Finke for their contributions, along with former graduate assistants Hyrum Smith and Sonya Britt.
Measuring Financial Literacy
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
Copyright 2010 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Financial Literacy
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 296–316, Summer 2010
How to Cite
HUSTON, S. J. (2010), Measuring Financial Literacy. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 44: 296–316. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2010.01170.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
- AARP. 2007. AARP Bulletin Poll on Financial Literacy: Executive Summary. http://assets.aarp.org/rgcenter/econ/financial_literacy.pdf.
- 2004. Asset Allocation and Information Overload: The Influence of Information Display, Asset Choice and Investor Experience (Center for Retirement Research Working Paper #2004-15). http://crr.bc.edu/images/stories/Working_Papers/wp_2004-15.pdf?phpMyAdmin=43ac483c4de9t51d9eb41. , and .
- 1997. Investor Self-Selection: Evidence from a Mutual Fund Survey. Managerial and Decision Economics, 18: 719–729. , , and .
- ANZ. 2008. ANZ Survey of Adult Financial Literacy in Australia. http://www.anz.com/Documents/AU/Aboutanz/AN_5654_Adult_Fin_Lit_Report_08_Web_Report_full.pdf.
- 2005. The Financial Knowledge of College Freshmen. College Student Journal, 39 (2): 321–339. , , , and .
- 2006. The Meaning and Measure of Health Literacy. Journal of General Internal Medicine, 21 (8): 878–883. .
- Bankrate. 2003. Americans on the Brink of Financial Illiteracy. http://www.bankrate.com/brm/news/financial-literacy/grade-home.asp.
- 2005. Financial Literacy Teacher Training: A Multiple-Measure Evaluation. Financial Counseling and Planning Journal, 16 (2): 63–75. , , , and .
- 2003. Financial Literacy among Australian University Students. Economic Papers, 22 (1): 65–78. and .
- 1998. Financial Illiteracy, Education, and Retirement Saving. In Living with Defined Contribution Pensions, edited by Olivia S.Mitchell and Sylvester J.Schieber (38–68). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. .
- 2003. The Effects of Financial Education in the Workplace: Evidence from a Survey of Households. Journal of Public Economics, 87 (7–8): 1487–1519. , and .
- 2008. Changing College Students' Financial Knowledge, Attitudes, and Behavior through Seminar Participation. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 29 (1): 23–40. , , , and .
- 2002. Financial Knowledge of Teens and Their Parents. Financial Counseling and Planning, 13 (2): 93–102. .
- 2005. Measuring Statistical Literacy. Journal of Applied Measurement, 6 (1): 19–47. , and .
- 1998. An Analysis of Personal Financial Literacy among College Students. Financial Services Review, 7 (2): 107–128. , and .
- 2002. Gender Differences in Personal Financial Literacy among College Students. Financial Services Review, 11 (3): 289–307. , and .
- 2005. Financial Literacy, Education, and Services in the Workplace. A Journal of Applied Topics in Business and Economics. http://www.westga.edu/bquest/2005/workplace.pdf. , and .
- 2005. Consumer Literacy and Credit Worthiness. Presented at Federal Reserve System Conference, Promises and Pitfalls: As Consumer Options Multiply, Who Is Being Served and at What Cost?, April 7, 2005 in Washington, DC. , and .
- 2006. College Students and Financial Literacy: What They Know and What We Need to Learn. Eastern Family Economics and Resource Management Association Conference Proceedings , 102–109, February 23–25, 2006 in Knoxville Tennessee. , , , , , , and .
- 1996. Financial Literacy 2000. Journal of the American Society of CLU and ChFC, 50 (4): 32–34. and .
- 2004. Evaluation of the NEFE High School Financial Planning Program: 2003-2004. http://hsfpp.nefe.org/loadFile.cfm?contentid=273. and .
- 2007. Teen Financial Knowledge, Self-Efficacy, and Behavior: A Gendered View. Financial Counseling and Planning, 18 (2): 48–60. and .
- 2002. Gender Differences in Revealed Risk Taking: Evidence from Mutual Fund Investors. Economic Letters, 76: 151–158. , , and .
- 2006. Identification of Differential Item Functioning Using Item Response Theory and the Likelihood-Based Model Comparison Approach: Application to the Mini-Mental State Examination. Medical Care, 44 (11): S134–S142. , , , , and .
- 2006. Financial Education at the Workplace (Community Affairs Working Paper 06-02). http://www.kc.frb.org/comaffrs/GillettFisher_Edmiston_Financial_Education_April_2006.pdf. , and .
- Employee Benefit Research Institute (EBRI) and Mathew Greenwald and Associates. 2001. Parents, Youth and Money2001 Survey: Executive Summary. http://www.ebri.org/surveys/index.cfm?fa=pym.
- Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis. 1998. Economic Literacy Survey. http://www.minneapolisfed.org/publications_papers/pub_display.cfm?id=3580.
- Financial Services Authority. 2006a. Financial Capability Baseline Survey: Methodological Report. http://www.bridge.bris.ac.uk/pfrc/Reports/Fincap_baseline_BMRB_06.pdf.
- Financial Services Authority. 2006b. Levels of Financial Capability in the UK: Results of a Baseline Survey. http://www.pfrc.bris.ac.uk/Reports/Fincap_baseline_results_06.pdf.
- 2005. Building the Case for Financial Education. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Summer): 195–214. , , and .
- 2001. Money Management Practices of College Students. College Student Journal, 35 (2): 244–249. , , and .
- 2003. Household Financial Management: The Connection between Knowledge and Behavior. Federal Reserve Bulletin, 89: 309–322. , , and .
- 2005. Understanding the Impact of Employer-Provided Financial Education on Workplace Satisfaction. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Summer): 173–194. , and .
- 2002. Financial Knowledge, Experience and Learning Preferences: Preliminary Results from a New Survey on Financial Literacy. Consumer Interest Annual, 48: 1–7. http://www.consumerinterests.org/files/public/FinancialLiteracy-02.pdf. and .
- 2009. The Concept and Measurement of Financial Literacy: Preliminary Results from a New Survey on Financial Literacy Assessment. Conference Presentation, Academy of Financial Services Annual Conference, Anaheim, CA, October 9. .
- Investor Protection Trust. 2007. The MoneyTrack/IPT Investing Secrets Survey. http://www.investorprotection.org/learn/research/?fa=mtSurvey.
- John Hancock Financial Services, and Matt Greenwald and Associates. 2002. Insight into Participant Investment Knowledge and Behavior. http://www.jhancockstructures.com/gsfp/survey2002.pdf.
- Jump$tart Coalition. 2007. National Standards in K-12 Personal Finance Education. http://www.jumpstart.org/guide.html.
- 1978. Factor Analysis: Statistical Methods and Practical Issues. Newbury Park: SAGE Publications, Inc. and .
- 2001. Financial Knowledge and Subjective and Objective Financial Well-being. Consumer Interests Annual, 47: 1–3. http://www.consumerinterests.org/files/public/Kim-Financial_knowledge.pdf. .
- 2001. Technical Report and Data File User's Manual for the 1992 National Adult Literacy Survey. NCES 2001-457. Washington, DC: U.S. Department of Education, National Center for Education Statistics. , , , et al.
- 2001. Household Financial Planning and Financial Literacy. In Essays on Saving, Bequests, Altruism, and Life-Cycle Planning, edited by Laurence J.Kotlikoff (427–477). Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. and .
- 2003. Saving and the Effectiveness of Financial Education (PRC Working Paper 2003-14). http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~prc/PRC/WP/WP2003-14.pdf. .
- 2008a. Household Saving Behavior: The Role of Financial Literacy, Information, and Financial Education Programs (NBER Working Paper 13824). http://www.nber.org/papers/w13824. .
- 2006. Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing (Pension Research Council Working Paper 2006-1). http://rider.wharton.upenn.edu/~prc/PRC/WP/PRC%20WP%202006-1.pdf. , and .
- 2007a. Baby Boomer Retirement Security: The Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth. Journal of Monetary Economics, 54 (1): 205–224. , and .
- 2007b. Financial Literacy and Retirement Planning: New Evidence from the Rand American Life Panel. (Michigan Retirement Research Center Working Paper 2007-157). www.mrrc.isr.umich.edu/publications/publications_download.cfm?pid=509. , and .
- 2007c. Financial Literacy and Retirement Preparedness: Evidence and Implications for Financial Education. Business Economics, 42 (1): 35–44. , and .
- 2008a. Household Saving Behavior: The Role of Financial Literacy, Information, and Financial Education Programs (NBER Working Paper 13824). http://www.nber.org/papers/w13824. , and .
- 2008b. Planning and Financial Literacy: How do Women Fare? American Economic Review: Papers and Proceedings, 98 (2): 413–417. , and .
- 2008c. How Much Do People Know About Economics and Finance? Policy Brief, 5. http://www.mrrc.isr.umich.edu/publications/policy/pdf/Lusardi-Mitchell.pdf. , and .
- 2009. Debt Literacy, Financial Experiences, and Overindebtedness (NBER Working Paper 14808). http://www.nber.org/papers/w14808. and .
- 2007. What's in a Score? Differences in Consumers' Credit Knowledge Using OLS and Quantile Regressions. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 41 (Winter): 223–249. , , and .
- 1997. Our Vulnerable Youth: The Financial Literacy of American 12th Graders. Washington, DC: The Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy. .
- 2001. Improving Financial Literacy: What Schools and Parents Can and Cannot Do. Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition. .
- 2002. Financial Literacy: A Growing Problem—Results of the 2002 National Jump$tart Survey. Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition. .
- 2004. Financial Literacy: Are We Improving—Results of the 2004 National Jump$tart Survey. Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition. .
- 2005. Financial Literacy: Does It Matter? Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition. http://www.jumpstartcoalition.org/upload/Mandell%20Paper%20April%20. .
- 2006. Financial Literacy: Improving Education Results of the 2006 National Jump$tart Survey. Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition. .
- 2008. Financial Literacy of High School Students. In Handbook of Consumer Finance Research, edited by Jing JianXiao (163–83). New York: Springer. .
- 2009. Financial Education in High School. In Overcoming the Saving Slump: How to Increase the Effectiveness of Financial Education and Savings Programs, edited by AnnamariaLusardi (257–279). Chicago: The University of Chicago Press. .
- 2006. What College Freshmen Admit to Not Knowing about Personal Finance. Journal of College Teaching and Learning, 3 (1): 43–54. , , , and .
- 2006. Financial Literacy Research: Current Literature and Future Opportunities. http://ro.uow.edu.au/commpapers/223/. , and .
- 2003. Survey of Financial Literacy in Washington State: Knowledge, Behavior, Attitudes, and Experiences (Technical Report 03-39). http://www.dfi.wa.gov/news/finlitsurvey.pdf. .
- 2008. Financial Literacy and Mutual Fund Investments: Who Buys Actively Managed Funds? http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1093305%20. , and .
- NASD Investor Literacy Research. 2003. NASD Investor Literacy Research: Executive Summary. http://www.finrafoundation.org/surveyexecsum.pdf.
- National Council on Economic Education. 2005a. Survey of the States: Economic and Personal Finance Education in Our Nation's Schools in 2004. http://www.ncee.net/about/survey2004/NCEESurvey2004web.pdf.
- National Council on Economic Education. 2005b. What American Teens and Adults Know about Economics. http://126.96.36.199/WhatAmericansKnowAboutEconomics_042605-3.pdf.
- National Foundation for Credit Counseling. 2007. Financial Literacy Survey. http://www.nfcc.org/NFCC_SummaryReport_ToplineFinal.pdf.
- Networks Financial Institute. 2007. National Adult Financial Literacy Research Overview. http://www.networksfinancialinstitute.org/Lists/Publication%20Library/Attachments/84/2007-NFI-05_Godsted-Mccormick.pdf.
- 1992. Financial Literacy: A Discussion of Concepts and Competences of Financial Literacy and Opportunities for its Introduction into Young People's Learning. Report Prepared for the National Westminster Bank, National Foundation for Education Research, London. , , and .
- 2003. Financial Fitness Quiz: A Tool for Analyzing Financial Behavior. Consumer Interests Annual, 49: 1–3. http://www.consumerinterests.org/files/public/FinancialFitnessQuiz_03.pdf. , and .
- 1991. Measurement, Design, and Analysis: An Integrated Approach. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc. and .
- 2002. CreditSmart© Research: A Study of Consumer Financial Knowledge and Implications for Social Marketing. Social Marketing Quarterly, 8 (3): 3–16. and .
- 2005. Who Is in Control? The Role of Self-Perception, Knowledge, and Income in Explaining Consumer Financial Behavior. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Winter): 299–313. and .
- 2008. Personal Financial Knowledge among College Students: Associations between Individual Characteristics and Scores on an Experimental Measure of Financial Knowledge. Consumer Interests Annual, 54: 144. and .
- Schwab. 2007. Teens and Money Survey. http://www.schwabmoneywise.com/views/survey/teensAndMoney.php.
- Securities Investor Protection Corporation. 2001. SIPC/Investment Clubs Investor Survival Quiz. http://www.sipc.org/pdf/survey%20results.pdf.
- 2008. Consumer Financial Literacy and the Impact of Online Banking on the Financial Behavior of Lower-Income Bank Customers. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 271–305. and .
- 2001. State Curriculum Mandates and Student Knowledge of Personal Finance. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 35 (Winter): 241–262. , and .
- U.S. Financial Literacy and Education Commission. 2007. Taking Ownership of the Future: The National Strategy for Financial Literacy. http://www.mymoney.gov/pdfs/add07strategy.pdf.
- U.S. House of Representatives, Financial Services Committee. 2009. Regulatory Restructuring: Enhancing Consumer Financial Products Regulation. Testimony of Elizabeth Warren, Leo Gottlieb Professor of Law at Harvard University and Chair of the Congressional Oversight Panel, June 24, 2009. http://www.house.gov/apps/list/hearing/financialsvcs_dem/warren_testimony.pdf.
- Vanguard and Money. 2002. Vanguard/Money Investor Literacy Test. https://personal.vanguard.com/us/InvestmentKnowledge.
- 2007. Financial Literacy and Stock Market Participation (Michigan Retirement Research Center Working Paper 2007-162). http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1014994. , , and .
- 2000. Personal Finance and the Rush to Competence: Financial Literacy Education in the U.S. http://www.isfs.org/rep_finliteracy.pdf. , , , , , and .
- 1996. Personal Investment Literacy among College Students: A Survey. Financial Practice and Education, 6 (2): 86–94. , , and .
- 2006. An Analysis of the Importance of Personal Finance Topics and the Level of Knowledge Possessed by Working Adults. Financial Services Review, 15 (1): 81–99. , , and .
- 2002. A Survey of Investment Literacy among Online Investors. Financial Counseling and Planning, 13 (1): 1–13. , , and .
- 2007. Computer Literacy and Inquiry Learning: When Geeks Learn Less. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning, 23 (2): 133–144. , , and .
- 2003. Bargain Hunting or Star Gazing? Investors' Preferences for Stock Mutual Funds. Journal of Business, 76 (4): 645–663. .
- 2008. Against Financial Literacy Education. Iowa Law Review, 94: 197–285. .
- 2006. Advancing Health Literacy: A Framework for Understanding and Action. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass. , , and .