The Effects of Financial Education on the Financial Knowledge of High School Students
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2010
Copyright 2010 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Financial Literacy
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 336–357, Summer 2010
How to Cite
WALSTAD, W. B., REBECK, K. and MacDONALD, R. A. (2010), The Effects of Financial Education on the Financial Knowledge of High School Students. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 44: 336–357. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2010.01172.x
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2010
- 2006. Financial Literacy. Testimony before the Committee on Banking, Housing, and Urban Affairs of the United States Senate. http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/testimony/Bernanke20060523a.htm. (Accessed on May 23, 2006).
- 2001. Education and Saving: The Long-Term Effects of High School Financial Curriculum Mandates. Journal of Public Economics, 85(June): 435–465. , , and .
- 1990. Instructor Effects and Their Determinants in Precollege Economic Education. Journal of Economic Education, 21(Summer): 265–276. , and .
- 2002. Financial Literacy: An Overview of Practice, Research, and Policy. Federal Reserve Bulletin (November): 446–457. , and .
- Council for Economic Education (CEE). 2006. Financing Your Future (DVD). New York: CEE. http://financingyourfuture.councilforeconed.org/.
- Council for Economic Education (CEE). 2009. Survey of the States: Economics, Personal Finance and Entrepreneurship Education in Our Nation's Schools in 2009. New York: CEE. http://www.councilforeconed.org/about/survey2009/CEE_Survey_2009.pdf.
- 1951. Coefficient Alpha and the Internal Structure of Tests. Psychometrica, 16: 297–334.
- 2007. Teen Financial Knowledge, Self-Efficacy, and Behavior: A Gendered View. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 18 (2): 48–60. , and .
- 1999. Financial Planning Curriculum for Teens: Impact Evaluation. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 10 (1): 26–37. , , and .
- 2005. Building the Case for Financial Education. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39(Summer): 195–214. , , and .
- 2009. Assessing the Effectiveness of Financial Fitness for Life in Eastern Kentucky. Journal of Applied Economics and Policy, 28 (1): 20–33. , and .
- 2003. Household Financial Management: The Connection between Knowledge and Behavior. Federal Reserve Bulletin (July): 310–322. , , and .
- 1988. The Five-Tiered Approach to Evaluation: Context and Implementation. In Evaluating Family Programs, edited by Heather B.Weiss and Francine H.Jacobs (37–68). New York, NY: Aldine de Gruyter.
- Jump$tart Coalition for Personal Financial Literacy. 2007. National Standards in K–12 Personal Financial Education. 3rd edition. Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition. http://www.jumpstart.org/guide.html.
- 2008. The Effectiveness of Youth Financial Education. Washington, DC: New America Foundation. http://www.newamerica.net/publications/policy/effectiveness_youth_financial_education_1. , and .
- 2005. Assessing the Reliability and Validity of the Jump$tart Survey of Financial Literacy. Journal of Family and Economic Issues, 26 (2): 283–294.
- 2006. Are We Making the Grade? A National Overview of Financial Education and Program Evaluation. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 40(Winter): 208–235. , , , and .
- 1998. Our Vulnerable Youth: The Financial Literacy of American 12th Graders. Washington, DC: Jump$tart Coalition.
- 2008. Financial Education in High School. In Overcoming the Saving Slump: How to Increase the Effectiveness of Financial Education and Saving Programs, edited by AnnamariaLusardi (257–279). Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. .
- 2007. A Literature Review on the Effectiveness of Financial Education. Working Paper 07-03. Richmond, VA: Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- 2009. The Effectiveness of Youth Financial Education: A Review of the Literature. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 20 (1): 70–83.
- 2001. Financial Fitness for Life: Teacher Guide, Grades 9–12. New York: Council for Economic Education. , and .
- 2002. Experimental and Quasi-Experimental Designs for Generalized Causal Inferences. Boston: Houghton-Mifflin. , , and .
- 2007. The Impact of Financial Education Workshops for Teachers on Students' Economic Achievement. The Journal of Consumer Education, 24: 63–77. , , , and .
- 2001. State Curriculum Mandates and Student Knowledge of Personal Finance. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 35(Winter): 241–262. , and .
- 2005. Using a Financial Education Curriculum for Teens. Journal of Financial Counseling and Planning, 16 (1): 63–71. , , , and .
- 2005a. Financial Fitness for Life: High School Test Examiner's Manual (grades 9–12). New York: Council for Economic Education. , and .
- 2005b. Financial Fitness for Life: Middle School Test Examiner's Manual (grades 6–8). New York: Council for Economic Education. , and .