The views expressed are those of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of the Federal Reserve Bank of New York. We thank Michael Bryan, Jeff Dominitz, Eric Johnson, Arthur Kennickell, Chuck Manski, Athanasios Orphanides, Simon Potter, Robert Rich and Ken Wolpin for their advice on this project, as well as Sandy Chien, Tim Colvin, Daniel Forman, Peter Fielding, Daniel Greenwald, Tania Gutsche, Mandy Holbrook and Bas Weerman for their help with conducting the research.
Expectations of Inflation: The Role of Demographic Variables, Expectation Formation, and Financial Literacy
Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2010
Copyright 2010 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Financial Literacy
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 381–402, Summer 2010
How to Cite
BRUINE de BRUIN, W., VANDERKLAAUW, W., DOWNS, J. S., FISCHHOFF, B., TOPA, G. and ARMANTIER, O. (2010), Expectations of Inflation: The Role of Demographic Variables, Expectation Formation, and Financial Literacy. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 44: 381–402. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2010.01174.x
- Issue online: 1 JUN 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 JUN 2010
- 2007. Do Macro Variables, Asset Markets or Surveys Forecast Inflation Better? Journal of Monetary Economics, 54 (4): 1163–1212. , , and .
- 2009. The Formation of Inflation Expectations: An Empirical Analysis for the U.K. Paper presented at the Banco do Brasil X1 Annual Inflation Targeting Seminar, Rio de Janeiro. , and . May 14–15,
- 2008. A New Index of Perceived Inflation: Assumptions, Method, and Application to Germany. Journal of Economic Psychology, 29 (4): 433–457.
- 2007. Individual Differences in Adult Decision-Making Competence. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology, 92 (5): 938–956. , , and .
- 2008. Lay Interpretations of Questions about Inflation Expectations. Paper presented at the University of Michigan Conference on Understanding Economic Decision Making, Jackson Hole, WY. , , , , , and . September 5–6,
- 2001a. The Demographics of Inflation Opinion Surveys. Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland Economic Commentary, 2001 (October): 1–4. , and .
- 2001b. The Curiously Different Inflation Perspectives of Men and Women. Federal Reserve Bank of Cleveland Economic Commentary, 2001 (November): 1–4. , and .
- Bureau of Labor Statistics. 2008. Table 1A. Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U): U.S. City Average, by Expenditure Category and Commodity and Service Group. http://www.bls.gov/cpi/cpid06av.pdf.
- 1951. Coefficient Alpha and the Internal Structure of the Tests. Psychometrika, 16 (3): 297–334.
- 1996. Procedure to Estimate Price Expectations. Manuscript, University of Michigan Survey Research Center.
- 2006. Inflation Expectations: Theoretical Models and Empirical Tests. Paper presented at the National Bank of Poland Workshop on The Role of Inflation Expectations in Modelling and Monetary Policy Making, Warsaw, February 9–10.
- 2008. Preparation for Retirement, Financial Literacy, and Cognitive Resources. Working Paper 2008-190. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Retirement Research Center. , , and .
- 2005. Perceived Inflation in Austria—Extent, Explanations, Effects. Monetary Policy and The Economy, 2005 (Q3): 22–47. , and .
- 2005. Building the Case for Financial Education. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Summer): 195–214. , , and .
- 1989. Some Implementations of the Boxplot. The American Statistician, 43 (1): 50–54. , , and .
- 2008. Demographic Disparities in Numeracy among Emergency Department Patients: Evidence from Two Multicenter Studies. Patient Education and Counseling, 72 (2): 350–356. , , , and .
- 2008. Comprehension and Choice of a Consumer-Directed Health Plan: An Experimental Study. American Journal of Managed Care, 14 (6): 369–376. , , , and .
- 1985. On the Accuracy of Time-Series, Interest Rate, and Survey Forecasts of Inflation. Journal of Business, 58 (4): 377–398. , and .
- 2003. Inflation Inequality in the United States. Federal Reserve Bank of New York Staff Report No. 173. , and .
- 2009. Whose Inflation Is It? Household Level vs. Aggregate Measures of Inflation. Manuscript, Federal Reserve Bank of New York. , , , and .
- 2004. Decision Making by Low-Literacy Consumers in the Presence of Point-of-Purchase Information. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 38 (Winter): 342–354. , and .
- 1981. Perceived and Expected Rates of Inflation in Sweden. The American Economic Review, 71 (5): 961–968.
- 2007. The Euro Changeover and the Factors Influencing Perceived Inflation. Journal of Consumer Policy, 30 (4): 405–419. , , , , and .
- 1979. Prospect Theory: An Analysis of Decision under Risk. Econometrica, 47 (2): 263–291. , and .
- 1975. Psychological Economics. New York: Elsevier.
- 1991. Calibration and Probability Judgments: Conceptual and Methodological Issues. Acta Psychologica, 24 (3): 411–435.
- 2000. Alternative CPI Aggregations: Two Approaches. Monthly Labor Review, 123 (July): 31–39.
- 1977. Do Those Who Know More also Know More about How Much They Know? The Calibration of Probability Judgments. Organizational Behavior and Human Performance, 20 (2): 159–183. , and .
- 2001. General Performance on a Numeracy Scale among Highly Educated Samples. Medical Decision Making, 21 (1): 37–44. , , and .
- 2003. Public Expectations of UK Inflation. Bank of England Quarterly Bulletin, 2003 (Autumn): 281–290. , and .
- 2008. Household Saving Behavior: The Role of Financial Literacy, Information, and Financial Education Programs. NBER Working Paper 13824 Hanover, NH: Dartmouth College.
- 2005. Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing. Working Paper WP 2005-18. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Retirement Research Center. , and
- 2007. Financial Literacy and Retirement Preparedness: Evidence and Implications for Financial Education. Business Economics, 42 (1): 35–44. , and .
- 2008. Planning and Financial Literacy: How Do Women Fare? American Economic Review, 98 (2): 413–417. , and .
- 2009. Health Insurance Literacy of Older Adults. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 43 (Summer): 223–248. , , , , and .
- 2006. Constructing the Chicago Fed Income Based Economic Index—Consumer Price Index: Inflation Experiences by Demographic Group: 1983–2005. Working Paper No. WP2005-20. Chicago, IL: Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago. , and .
- Office for National Statistics. 2008. Inflation Rates for Each Expenditure Category Used in the Personal Inflation Calculator. http://www.statistics.gov.uk./PIC/downloads/PriceSubIndices.pdf.
- 2005. Decision-Making Competence: External Validation Through an Individual-Differences Approach. Journal of Behavioral Decision Making, 18 (1): 1–27. , and .
- 2008. Overconfidence and Economic Behavior. Paper presented at the Conference on Cognitive Economics, Jackson, WY, September 5–6. , , , and .
- 2006. Numeracy and Decision Making. Psychological Science, 17 (5): 407–413. Direct Link:, , , , , and .
- 2007. Less Is More in Presenting Quality Information to Consumers. Medical Care Research and Review, 64 (2): 169–190. , , , , and .
- 2008. Perceptions and Expectations of Price Changes and Inflation: A Review and Conceptual Framework. Journal of Economic Psychology, 29 (4): 378–400. , , , , and .
- 1997. The Role of Numeracy in Understanding the Benefit of Screening Mammography. Annals of Internal Medicine, 127 (11): 966–972. , , , and .
- 1988. Nonparametric Statistics for the Behavioral Sciences. 2nd ed. Boston, MA: McGraw-Hill. , and .
- 1989. Using Multivariate Statistics. New York: HarperCollins. , and .
- 1999. Survey Measures of Expected U.S. Inflation. Journal of Economic Perspectives, 13 (4): 125–144. .
- 2008. Rethinking the Measurement of Household Inflation Expectations: Preliminary Findings. Federal Reserve Bank of New York Staff Report No. 359. , , , , and .
- 2007. Financial Literacy and Stock Market Preparation. DNB Working Paper 146. Amsterdam, the Netherlands: De Nederlandsche Bank. , , and .
- 1990. Judgment and Decision Making. Englewood Cliffs, NJ: Prentice Hall.
- 1999. Demand for Rent-to-Own Contracts: A Behavioral Economic Explanation. Journal of Economic Behavior and Organization, 38 (2): 199–216. , and .