How Much Does Wealth Matter in the Acquisition of Financial Literacy?
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
Copyright 2010 by The American Council on Consumer Interests
Journal of Consumer Affairs
Special Issue: Financial Literacy
Volume 44, Issue 2, pages 403–422, Summer 2010
How to Cite
MONTICONE, C. (2010), How Much Does Wealth Matter in the Acquisition of Financial Literacy?. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 44: 403–422. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-6606.2010.01175.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2010
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2010
- 2009. The Age of Reason: Financial Decisions over the Lifecycle. Brookings Papers on Economic Activity, 2009 (2): 51–117. , , , and .
- 2006. Levels of Financial Capability in the UK: Results of a Baseline Survey. Consumer Research 47, Prepared for the Financial Services Authority by Personal Finance Research Centre University of Bristol, Financial Services Authority. , , , and .
- Australia and New Zealand Banking Group. 2008. ANZ Survey of Adult Financial Literacy in Australia. Melbourne, Australia: Australia and New Zealand Banking Group.
- Banca d’Italia. 2009. Trasparenza delle operazioni e dei servizi bancari e finanziari. Correttezza delle relazioni tra intermediari e clienti. Rome, Italy: Banca d’Italia.
- 2007. Finanza Globale, Risparmiatore Locale—XXV Rapporto BNL/Centro Einaudi sul Risparmio e sui Risparmiatori in Italia. Rome, Italy: BNL Edizioni, Guerini e Associati. , ed.
- 2008. Crisi Globale, Scelte Individuali—XXVI Rapporto BNL/Centro Einaudi sul Risparmio e sui Risparmiatori in Italia. Rome, Italy: BNL Edizioni, Guerini e Associati. , ed.
- 1967. The Production of Human Capital and the Life Cycle of Earnings. Journal of Political Economy, 75 (August): 352–365.
- 1998. Financial Illiteracy, Education, and Retirement Saving. In Living with Defined Contribution Pensions, edited by Olivia S.Mitchell and Sylvester J.Schieber (38–68). Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press.
- 2003. The Effects of Financial Education in the Workplace: Evidence from a Survey of Households. Journal of Public Economics, 87 (August): 1487–1519. , and .
- 1996. Household Saving: Micro Theories and Micro Facts. Journal of Economic Literature, 34 (December): 1797–1855. , and .
- Covip. 2009. Relazione per l’Anno 2008. Rome, Italy: Commissione di Vigilanza sui Fondi Pensione.
- 2008. Preparation for Retirement, Financial Literacy and Cognitive Resources. Working Paper No. 2008–190, Ann Arbor: Michigan Retirement Research Center, University of Michigan. , , and .
- 1999. Subjective Measures of Household Preferences and Financial Decisions. Journal of Economic Psychology, 20 (December): 613–642. , and .
- 2007. Politica Monetaria e Sistema Bancario. Address of the Governor of the Bank of Italy to the Italian Banking Association (ABI), Rome, Italy, July 11.
- 2001. Household Portfolios. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press. , , and , eds.
- 2006. Information Acquisition and Portfolio Performance. CEPR Discussion Paper No. 5901, London: Center for Economic Policy Research. , and .
- 2008. Financial Literacy and Portfolio Diversification. EUI Working Paper (ECO 2008/31), Florence, Italy: European University Institute. , and .
- 2003. Household Financial Management: The Connection between Knowledge and Behavior. Federal Reserve Bulletin, 89 (July): 309–322. , , and .
- 2009. Financial Literacy and Retirement Savings in Germany. Paper presented at Networks Financial Institute at Indiana State University Conference “Improving Financial Literacy and Reshaping Financial Behavior,” Indianapolis, IN, May 14–15.
- 2008. The Role of Self-Regulation, Future Orientation, and Financial Knowledge in Long-Term Financial Decisions. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 223–242. , , and .
- Istituto Nazionale di Statistica. 2004. Edifici ed Abitazioni. Censimento 2001, Dati Definitivi. Rome, Italy: Istituto Nazionale di Statistica.
- 2009. Economic Literacy: An International Comparison. CSEF Working Paper No. 238. Salerno, Italy: Center for Studies in Economics and Finance.
- 2008. Financial Literacy, Public Policy, and Consumers' Self-Protection—More Questions, Fewer Answers. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 127–136. , and .
- 2006. Financial Literacy and Planning: Implications for Retirement Wellbeing. Pension Research Council Working Paper No. 1/2006. Philadelphia: The Wharton School, University of Pennsylvania. , and .
- 2007. Baby Boomer Retirement Security: The Roles of Planning, Financial Literacy, and Housing Wealth. Journal of Monetary Economics, 54 (January): 205–224. , and .
- 2009. Debt Literacy, Financial Experience and Overindebtedness. NBER Working Paper No. W14808. Cambridge, MA: National Bureau of Economic Research. , and .
- 2007. What's in a Score? Differences in Consumers' Credit Knowledge Using OLS and Quantile Regressions. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 41 (Winter): 223–249. , , and .
- 2008. Discounting Financial Literacy: Time Preferences and Participation in Financial Education Programs. IZA Discussion Paper (No. 3507), Bonn, Germany: Institute for the Study of Labor. , and .
- 2009. La Strategia della Banca d’Italia per Rafforzare il Rapporto Fiduciario tra Banca e Clientela. Paper presented at the Conference of the Italian Banking Association (ABI) “Dimensione Cliente 2009: Obiettivo Fiducia,” Rome, Italy, March 10.
- 2008. Saving for Retirement: The Effects of Fund Assortment Size and Investor Knowledge on Asset Allocation Strategies. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 42 (Summer): 206–222. , , , and .
- 2004. Wealth, Information Acquisition, and Portfolio Choice. Review of Financial Studies, 17 (Autumn): 879–914.
- 2005. Who Is in Control? The Role of Self-Perception, Knowledge and Income in Explaining Consumer Financial Behavior. Journal of Consumer Affairs, 39 (Winter): 299–313. , and .
- 1988. Limited Information Estimators and Exogeneity Tests for Simultaneous Probit Models. Journal of Econometrics, 39 (November): 347–366. , and .
- 2008. Nudge. Improving Decisions about Health, Wealth and Happiness. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. , and .
- The European House-Ambrosetti and Consorzio PattiChiari. 2008. L’Educazione Finanziaria in Italia. Rome, Italy: The European House-Ambrosetti and Consorzio PattiChiari.
- US Government Accountability Office. 2005. Credit Reporting Literacy: Consumers Understood the Basics but Could Benefit from Targeted Educational Efforts (GAO-05–223). Washington, DC: US Government Accountability Office.
- 2007. Financial Literacy and Stock Market Participation. Working paper No. 2007-162, Ann Arbor: Michigan Retirement Research Center, University of Michigan. , , and .
- 2008. Financial Literacy, Retirement Planning, and Household Wealth. Paper presented at the ECB-CFS Conference on Household Finances and Consumption, Frankfurt am Main, Germany, September 4–5. , , and .
- 2002. Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.