The importance of managing cardiovascular risk in the treatment of hypertension: The role of ACE inhibitors and ARBs
Article first published online: 31 OCT 2008
© 2008 The Author(s) Journal compilation © 2008 American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners
Volume 20, Issue 11, pages 529–538, November 2008
How to Cite
Pierson, C. A., Epstein, B. J. and Roberts, M. E. (2008), The importance of managing cardiovascular risk in the treatment of hypertension: The role of ACE inhibitors and ARBs. Journal of the American Academy of Nurse Practitioners, 20: 529–538. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-7599.2008.00364.x
- Issue published online: 31 OCT 2008
- Article first published online: 31 OCT 2008
- 2007). The role of therapeutic inertia and the use of fixed-dose combination therapy in the management of hypertension. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 9, 636–645. , , , & . (
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure; National High Blood Pressure Education Program Coordinating Committee. (2003). The Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on prevention, detection, evaluation, and treatment of high blood pressure: The JNC 7 report. Journal of the American Medical Association, 289, 2560–2572. , , , , , ., et al.;
- Steering Committeeof the PRoFESS Study Group. (2007). Rationale, design and baseline data of a randomized, double-blind, controlled trial comparing two antithrombotic regimens (a fixed-dose combination of extended-release dipyridamole plus ASA with clopidogrel) and telmisartan versus placebo in patients with strokes: The Prevention Regimen for Effectively Avoiding Second Strokes Trial (PRoFESS). Cerebrovascular Disease, 23, 368–380. , , , &
- on behalf of the Hypertension in African Americans Working Group. (2003). Management of high blood pressure in African Americans: Consensus statement of the hypertension in African Americans Working Group of the international society on hypertension in blacks. Archives of Internal Medicine, 163, 525–541. .
- 2007). One-year discontinuation rates of antihypertensive drugs in clinical practice: A network meta-analysis. Journal of Clinical Hypertension, 9, A210. , & . (
- 1999). Treatment of isolated systolic hypertension in the elderly: The Syst-Eur trial. Systolic hypertension in Europe (Syst-Eur) trial investigators. Clinical Experience in Hypertension, 21, 491–497. , & . (
- on behalf of the CHARM Investigators and Committees. (2003). Effects of candesartan in patients with chronic heart failure and reduced left-ventricular systolic function intolerant to angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitors: The CHARM-Alternative trial. Lancet, 6, 772–776. .
- 2008, March 31). American College of Cardiology Scientific Sessions, Late-Breaking Clinical Trials. Accessed September 20, 2008, at http://www.acc.org/media/acc_scientific_session_08/press/monday/10am_acc_jamerson.pdf . (
- on behalf of the TROPHY Investigators. (2006). Feasibility of treating prehypertension with an angiotensin-receptor blocker. New England Journal of Medicine, 20, 1685–1697. .
- on behalf of the VALUE trial group. (2004). Outcomes in hypertensive patients at high cardiovascular risk treated with regimens based on valsartan or amlodipine: The VALUE randomised trial. Lancet, 19, 2022–2031. .
- Prospective Studies Collaboration. (2002). Age-specific relevance of usual blood pressure to vascular mortality: A meta-analysis of individual data for one million adults in 61 prospective studies. Lancet, 360, 1903–1913. , , , , & ;
- National Cholesterol Education Program, National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute, National Institutes of Health. (2001). National Cholesterol Education Program Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel III). NIH Publication No. 01–3670. Washington, DC: Author.
- ONTARGET Investigators. (2008). Telmisartan, ramipril, or both in patients at high risk for vascular events. New England Journal of Medicine, 10, 1547–1559.
- on behalf of the ADVANCE Collaborative Group. (2007). Effects of a fixed combination of perindopril and indapamide on macrovascular and microvascular outcomes in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus (the ADVANCE trial): A randomised controlled trial. Lancet, 8, 829–840. .
- 2003). Valsartan in Acute Myocardial Infarction Trial Investigators. Valsartan, captopril, or both in myocardial infarction complicated by heart failure, left ventricular dysfunction, or both. New England Journal of Medicine, 349, 1893–1906. , , , , , ., et al. (
- 2008). Prehypertension during young adulthood and coronary calcium later in life. Annals of Internal Medicine, 149, 91–99. , , , , , ., et al. (
- on behalf or the MOSES Study Group. (2005). Morbidity and mortality after stroke, Eprosartan compared with Nitrendipine for secondary prevention: Principal results of a prospective randomized controlled study (MOSES). Stroke, 36, 1218–1224. .
- 1998). Hypertension and stroke: Rationale behind the access trial. Supplement to Basic Research in Cardiology, 93, 69–78. , , , & . (
- 2004). Blood pressure dependent and independent effects of antihypertensive treatment on clinical events in the VALUE Trial. Lancet, 363, 2049–2051. , , , , , ., et al. (
- 2000). Effects of an angiotensin-converting-enzyme inhibitor, ramipril, on cardiovascular events in high-risk patients. The Heart Outcomes Prevention Evaluation Study Investigators. New England Journal of Medicine, 342, 145–153. , , , , , & . (