This paper summarizes a professional lifetime of concern with the issue of the most proper educational structure for the discipline of psychoanalysis as both a science and a helping profession, and it chronicles my own shifting perspectives on this issue as the cultural and academic world context within which psychoanalysis is embedded has itself altered over my own six decades of involvement in it. The paper has therefore drawn from a significant number of articles that I have written on that subject over the years (; Wallerstein and Weinshel 1989), and represents overall, my current (somewhat zigzaggedly) evolved hope and conviction for our discipline at the 100th year celebration of the IPA.
Psychoanalysis in the university: The natural home for education and research1
Article first published online: 27 JUN 2011
Copyright © 2011 Institute of Psychoanalysis
The International Journal of Psychoanalysis
Volume 92, Issue 3, pages 623–639, June 2011
How to Cite
Wallerstein, R. S. (2011), Psychoanalysis in the university: The natural home for education and research. The International Journal of Psychoanalysis, 92: 623–639. doi: 10.1111/j.1745-8315.2011.00459.x
- Issue published online: 27 JUN 2011
- Article first published online: 27 JUN 2011
Options for accessing this content:
- If you are a society or association member and require assistance with obtaining online access instructions please contact our Journal Customer Services team.
- If your institution does not currently subscribe to this content, please recommend the title to your librarian.
- Login via other institutional login options http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/login-options.
- You can purchase online access to this Article for a 24-hour period (price varies by title)
- New Users: Please register, then proceed to purchase the article.
Login via OpenAthens
Search for your institution's name below to login via Shibboleth.
Registered Users please login:
- Access your saved publications, articles and searches
- Manage your email alerts, orders and subscriptions
- Change your contact information, including your password
Please register to:
- Save publications, articles and searches
- Get email alerts
- Get all the benefits mentioned below!
Patients and/or caregivers may access this content for use in relation to their own personal healthcare or that of a family member only. Terms and conditions will apply.