This research is part of the project “Role of Small-Scale Finance in Rural Development: Rural Finance and Microfinance” undertaken at the Institute of Developing Economies (IDE-JETRO). The authors are greatly indebted to a referee of the journal for excellent comments and suggestions, which improved the paper remarkably. Hisaki Kono also thanks the Japan Society for the Promotion of Science for financial support (KAKENHI 20730198). The opinions expressed and arguments employed in this paper are the sole responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily reflect those of IDE-JETRO.
MICROFINANCE REVOLUTION: ITS EFFECTS, INNOVATIONS, AND CHALLENGES
Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2010
© 2010 The Authors. Journal compilation © 2010 Institute of Developing Economies
The Developing Economies
Special Issue: THE ROLE OF MICROFINANCE IN RURAL FINANCE: EVIDENCE FROM INDIA AND INDONESIA
Volume 48, Issue 1, pages 15–73, March 2010
How to Cite
KONO, H. and TAKAHASHI, K. (2010), MICROFINANCE REVOLUTION: ITS EFFECTS, INNOVATIONS, AND CHALLENGES. The Developing Economies, 48: 15–73. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1049.2010.00098.x
- Issue online: 11 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 11 MAR 2010
- First version received April 2009; final version accepted December 2009
- 2006. “Group Size and Social Ties in Micro-Finance Institutions. Economic Inquiry 44, no. 4: 614–28. ; ; and .
- 1984. Undermining Rural Development with Cheap Credit. London: Westview Press. ; ; and .
- 2006. “Here Today, Gone Tomorrow: Can Dynamic Incentives Make Microfinance More Flexible? Journal of Development Economics 80, no. 1: 84–105.
- 2008 Overcoming Selection Bias in Microcredit Impact Assessments: A Case Study in Peru. Journal of Development Studies 44, no. 4: 504–18. .
- 2010. “Cross Sectional Impact Analysis: Bias from Dropouts. Perspectives on Global Development and Technology (forthcoming). , and .
- 2005. The Economics of Microfinance. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press. , and .
- 1994. “Thy Neighbor's Keeper: The Design of a Credit Cooperative with Theory and a Test. Quarterly Journal of Economics 109, no. 2: 491–515. ; ; and .
- 2009. “The Miracle of Microfinance? Evidence from a Randomised Evaluation.” Poverty Action Lab Working Paper no. 101. Cambridge, Mass.: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. ; ; ; and .
- 2001. The Impact of Three Microfinance Programs in Uganda. Washington, D.C.: USAID-AIMS. ; ; and .
- 2009. “The Provision of Commitment in Informal Banking Markets: Implications for Takeup and Welfare.” University of Chicago: Mimeo.
- 2008. “Behavioral Foundations of Micro-credit: Experimental and Survey Evidence from Rural India.” IES Working Papers 28/2008. Prague: Institute of Economic Studies, Faculty of Social Sciences, Charles University in Prague. ; ; and .
- 1995. “Group Lending, Repayment Incentives and Social Collateral. Journal of Development Economics 46, no. 1: 1–18. , and .
- 2010. “Group Lending and Individual Lending with Strategic Default. Journal of Development Economics 91, no. 2: 348–63. , and .
- 2009. “Borrower Runs. Journal of Development Economics 88, no. 2: 185–91. , and .
- 2007. “The Effect of Social Capital on Group Loan Repayment: Evidence from Field Experiments. Economic Journal 117, no. 517: F85–F106. ; ; and .
- 2008. “Does Social Capital Matter? Evidence from a Five-Country Group Lending Experiment.” University of San Francisco: Mimeo. , and .
- 2002. “Joint Liability and Peer Monitoring under Group Lending. Contributions to Theoretical Economics 2, no. 1: Article 3.
- 2008. “The Benefits and Costs of Microfinance: Evidence from Bangladesh. Journal of Development Studies 44, no. 4: 463–84.
- 2007. “Group-Lending with Sequential Financing, Contingent Renewal and Social Capital. Journal of Development Economics 84, no. 1: 487–506.
- 2002. “Trying to Understand the Demand for Microinsurance. Journal of International Development 14, no. 3: 381–87.
- 1999. “The Impact of Group Lending in Northeast Thailand. Journal of Development Economics 60, no. 1: 105–41.
- 2006 Microfiance in Northeast Thailand: Who Benefits and How Much. World Development 34, no. 9: 1612–38. .
- 2007. “Rural Financial Markets in Developing Countries.” In Handbook of Agricultural Economics Vol. 3, ed. RobertEvenson and PrabhuPingali. Amsterdam: North-Holland. , and .
- 2001. “Assessing the Impact of Microcredit: A Zambian Case Study. Journal of Development Studies 37, no. 4: 81–100. ; ; and .
- 2007. “Financial Performance and Outreach: A Global Analysis of Leading Microbanks. Economic Journal 117, no. 1: F107–F133. ; ; and .
- 2006. “State of the Microcredit Summit Campaign Report, 2006.” Microcredit Summit, Washington D.C.: Mimeo. .
- 2002. The Commercialization of Microfinance: Balancing Business and Development. Bloomfield, Conn.: Kumarian Press. , and , eds.
- 2006. “Using Randomization in Development Economics Research: A Toolkit.” MIT Department of Economics Working Paper no. 06-36. Cambridge, Mass.: Massachusetts Institute of Technology. ; ; and .
- 2001. “The Impacts of Microcredit: A Case Study from Peru.” Washington, D.C.: Assessing the Impact of Microenterprise Services (AIMS). , and .
- 2009. “Savings Constraints and Microenterprise Development: Evidence from a Field Experiment in Kenya.” NBER Working Paper no. 14693. , and .
- 2008. “Repayment Frequency and Default in Micro-Finanace: Evidence from India. Journal of the European Economic Association 6, no. 2–3: 501–9. , and .
- 1999. “Group Lending, Local Information, and Peer Selection. Journal of Development Economics 60, no. 1: 27–50.
- 1999. “The Economics of Lending with Joint Liability: Theory and Practice. Journal of Development Economics 60, no. 1: 195–228. , and .
- 2006. “Microfinance Games.” Center Discussion Papers no. 936. New Haven, Conn.: Economic Growth Center, Yale University. ; ; ; and .
- 2008. “Patterns of Rainfall Insurance Participation in Rural India. World Bank Economic Review 22, no. 3: 539–66. ; ; and .
- 2009. “Insurance, Credit, and Technology Adoption: Field Experimental Evidence from Malawi. Journal of Development Economics 89, no. 1: 1–11. , and .
- 1997. “Household Consumption Smoothing through Ethnic Ties: Evidence from Côte d'Ivoire. Journal of Development Economics 53, no. 2: 391–422.
- 2008. “Assortative Matching, Adverse Selection, and Group Lending. Journal of Development Economics 87, no. 1: 51–56.
- 1998. “General-Equilibrium Treatment Effects: A Study of Tuition Policy. American Economic Review 88, no. 2: 381–86. ; ; and .
- 2007. “A Practical Guide to the Program Evaluation Methods.” In Health Service and Poverty: Making Health Services More Accessible to the Poor, ed. HirokoUchimura. Chiba: Institute of Developing Economies, JETRO.
- 2010. “Why Is the Take-up of Microinsurance So Low? Evidence from a Health Insurance Scheme in India. Developing Economies 48, no. 1: 74–101. , and .
- 2001. “Microfinance Impact Assessments: The Perils of Using New Members as a Control Group. Journal of Microfinance 3, no. 2: 75–85.
- 2007 Social Connections and Group Banking. Economic Journal 117, no. 517: F52–F84. .
- 2007. “Impact Evaluation for Microfinance: Review of Methodological Issues.” World Bank Doing Impact Evaluation Series no. 7. , and .
- 2009a. “Expanding Microenterprise Credit Access: Using Randomized Supply Decisions to Estimate the Impacts in Manila.” BREAD Working Paper no. 235. , and .
- 2009b Observing Unobservables: Identifying Information Asymmetries with A Consumer Credit Field Experiment. Econometrica 77, no. 6: 1993–2008. , and .
- 2005. “Microfinance and Poverty: Evidence Using Panel Data from Bangladesh. World Bank Economic Review 19, no. 2: 263–86.
- 2008. “Impact of Microfinance on Rural Households in the Philippines. IDS Bulletin 39, no. 1: 51–70. ; ; ; and .
- 2010. “Is Joint Liability a Good Enforcement Scheme for Achieving High Repayment Rates?: Evidence from Framed Field Experiments in Vietnam.” Institute of Developing Economies: Mimeo. .
- 2009. “Vulnerability of Microfinance to Strategic Default and Covariate Shocks: Evidence from Pakistan.” The Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University, Tokyo: Mimeo. , and .
- 2005. “How Rising Competition among Microfinance Institutions Affects Incumbent Lenders. Economic Journal 115, no. 506: 987–1004. ; ; and .
- 2005. “Competition and Microfinance. Journal of Development Economics 78, no. 2: 271–98. , and .
- 2002. “The Impact of Microcredit Programs on Self-Employment Profits: Do Noncredit Program Aspects Matter? Review of Economics and Statistics 84, no. 1: 93–115.
- 2006a. “Long Term Benefits of Membership in Microfinance Programmes. Journal of International Development 18, no. 4: 571–94.
- 2006b Non-Linearities in Returns to Participation in Grameen Bank Programs. Journal of Development Studies 42, no. 8: 1379–400. .
- 2005. “Meeting the Double Bottom Line: The Impact of Khushhali Bank's Microfinance Program in Pakistan.” ADBI Policy Papers no. 8.
- 1998. “Does Microfinance Really Help the Poor? New Evidence from Flagship Programs in Bangladesh.” Working Papers no. 211. Princeton, N.J.: Research Program in Development Studies, Princeton University.
- 1999 The Microfinance Promise. Journal of Economic Literature 37, no. 4: 1569–614. .
- 2001. “Microfinance and Poverty in Bolivia. Journal of Development Studies 37, no. 4: 101–32.
- 2000. “Microcredit and the Poorest of the Poor: Theory and Evidence from Bolivia. World Development 28, no. 2: 333–46. ; ; ; ; and .
- 2001. “The Missing Parts of Microfinance: Services for Consumption and Insurance. SAIS Review 21, no. 1: 61–70.
- 2004. “Social Networks and Credit Access in Indonesia. World Development 32, no. 7: 1225–46. , and .
- 1998. “The Impact of Group-Based Credit Programs on Poor Households in Bangladesh: Does the Gender of Participants Matter? Journal of Political Economy 106, no. 5: 958–96. , and .
- 2008. “Evaluating Anti-Poverty Program.” In Handbook of Development Economics 4, ed. PaulSchultz and JohnStrauss. Amsterdam: Elsevier.
- 2004. “Is Grameen Lending Efficient? Repayment Incentives and Insurance in Village Economies. Review of Economics Studies 71, no. 1: 217–34. Direct Link:, and .
- 2001. The Microfinance Revolution: Sustainable Finance for the Poor. Washington, D.C.: World Bank.
- 2009. “The Impact of Microcredit on the Poor in Bangladesh: Revisiting the Evidence.” Working Paper no. 174. Washington, D.C.: Center for Global Development. , and .
- 1983. “The Central Role of the Propensity Score in Observational Studies for Causal Effects. Biometrika 70, no. 1: 41–55. , and .
- 2008. “Microfinance and the Millennium Development Goals in Pakistan: Impact Assessment Using Propensity Score Matching.” ADB Institute Discussion Paper no. 104. , and .
- 1999. “Placement and Outreach of Group-Based Credit Organizations: The Cases of ASA, BRAC, and PROSHIKA in Bangladesh. World Development 27, no. 12: 2123–36. , and .
- 2010. “Does Contingent Repayment in Microfinance Help the Poor during Natural Disasters. Journal of Development Studies 46, no. 2: 191–210.
- 1990. “Peer Monitoring and Credit Market. World Bank Economic Review 4, no. 3: 351–66.
- 2010. “The Short-Term Poverty Impact of Small-Scale, Collateral-Free Microcredit in Indonesia: A Matching Estimator Approach. Developing Economies 48, no. 1: 128–55. ; ; and .
- 1994. “Risk and Insurance in Village India. Econometrica 62, no. 3: 539–91.
- UNCDF. 2004. Microfinance Programme Impact Assessment, 2003. New York: UNCDF.
- 1999. “Group Lending under Asymmetric Information. Journal of Development Economics 60, no. 1: 3–25.
- 2004. “Great Expectations: Microfinance and Poverty Reduction in Asia and Latin America. Oxford Development Studies 33, no. 3–4: 391–416. , and .
- 2002. Econometric Analysis of Cross Section and Panel Data. Cambridge, Mass.: MIT Press.
- World Bank. 2000. World Development Report, 2000/2001: Attacking Poverty. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 2002. “Recent Developments in Rural Finance Markets.” In Zeller and Meyer (2002). , and .
- 2002. The Triangle of Microfinance: Financial Sustainability, Outreach and Impact. Baltimore, Md.: Johns Hopkins University Press. , and , eds.