This paper was presented at the International Conference on “Science, Technology and Economy: Human Capital,” the Annual Conference of the Indian Association of Social Science Institutions and the Knowledge Forum, hosted by the Indian Institute of Technology, Mumbai, November 11–12, 2010, and subsequently at the Sixth Annual Conference on Economic Growth and Development, organized by the Indian Statistical Institute, New Delhi, December 16–18, 2010. We have benefited from comments received from participants at these two conferences. We are particularly thankful to Professor K. L. Krishna for his comments and suggestions on an earlier version of the paper. We thank three anonymous reviewers of this journal for their valuable comments, which have greatly improved the quality of the paper.
INFORMALIZATION OF INDUSTRIAL LABOR IN INDIA: EFFECTS OF LABOR MARKET RIGIDITIES AND IMPORT COMPETITION
Article first published online: 1 JUN 2012
© 2012 The Authors. The Developing Economies © 2012 Institute of Developing Economies
The Developing Economies
Volume 50, Issue 2, pages 141–169, June 2012
How to Cite
GOLDAR, B. and AGGARWAL, S. C. (2012), INFORMALIZATION OF INDUSTRIAL LABOR IN INDIA: EFFECTS OF LABOR MARKET RIGIDITIES AND IMPORT COMPETITION. The Developing Economies, 50: 141–169. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1049.2012.00162.x
- Issue published online: 1 JUN 2012
- Article first published online: 1 JUN 2012
- First version received February 2011; final version accepted November 2011
- 2008. “Are All Labor Regulations Equal? Evidence from Indian Manufacturing.” IZA Discussion Paper no. 3394. Bonn: Institute for the Study of Labor. , and .
- 2004. “Can Labor Regulation Hinder Economic Performance? Evidence from India. Quarterly Journal of Economics 119, no. 1: 91–134. , and .
- 2005. “Labour Use and Its Adjustment in Indian Manufacturing Industries. Global Economic Review 34, no. 3: 261–90. , and .
- 2006. “Wage Inequality and Job Insecurity among Permanent and Contract Workers in India: Evidence from Organized Manufacturing Industries.” IZA Discussion Paper no. 2097. Bonn: Institute for the Study of Labor. , and .
- 2006. “Labour Market Regulation and Industrial Performance in India: A Critical Review of the Empirical Evidence. Indian Journal of Labour Economics 49, no. 2: 211–32. .
- 2009. “The Effects of Employment Protection Legislation on Indian Manufacturing.” CDDRL Working Paper no. 96. Stanford, Calif.: Center on Democracy, Development, and the Rule of Law, Freeman Spogli Institute for International Studies, Stanford University. .
- 2003. “Labour Market—Social Institutions, Economic Reforms and Social Cost.” In Labour Market and Institution in India 1990s and Beyond, ed. Shuji Uchikawa. New Delhi: Manohar.
- 2011. Economic Freedom of the States of India 2011. New Delhi: Academic Foundation. http://www.freetheworld.com/pdf/EconomicFreedomIndia-2011.pdf (accessed October 28, 2011). ; ; and .
- 2008. “Labour Regulation and Employment Dynamics at the State Level in India.” OECD Economics Department Working Paper. no. 624. Paris: OECD Publishing.
- 2008. “Poverty in Rural India: Caste and Tribe. Review of Income and Wealth 54, no. 1: 50–70. ; ; and .
- 2008. “What Constrains Indian Manufacturing?” ERD Working Paper no. 119. Manila: Asian Development Bank. ; ; and .
- 2010. “Skills, Informality, and Development.” Working Paper no. 306. Delhi: Institute of Economic Growth, University Enclave. , and .
- 2009. “Liberalisation, Labour Legislation and Flexibility—Theory and Evidences in India.” Paper presented at International Conference on the Informal Sector in South Asia: Organizational Dynamics, Institutional Determinants, Interlinkages, and Development, Institute of Economic Growth, Delhi, July 27–28. ; ; and .
- National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector (NCEUS). 2009. “The Challenge of Employment in India: An Informal Economy Perspective.” I and II. New Delhi: National Commission for Enterprises in the Unorganised Sector.
- National Sample Survey Organisation (NSSO). 2006. “Employment and Unemployment Situation in India 2004–05: NSS 61st Round.” Report no. 515, part I. New Delhi: National Sample Survey Organisation.
- 2008. “Employment Challenge and Strategies in India.” ILO Asia Pacific Working Paper Series. New Delhi: Subregional Office for South Asia International Labour Organization.
- 2006. “How Does Trade, Foreign Investment, and Technology Affect Employment Patterns in Organized Indian Manufacturing?” Indian Journal of Labour Economics 49, no. 2: 249–72. .
- 2006. “Mind the Gap—Is Economic Growth in India Leaving Some States Behind?” IMF Working Paper no. 06/103. Washington, D.C.: International Monetary Fund. .
- 2003. “Liberalization, Outsourcing and Industrial Labour Markets in India: Some Preliminary Results.” In Labour Market and Institution in India: 1990s and Beyond, ed. Shuji Uchikawa. New Delhi: Manohar.
- 2005. “Flexicurity, Casualisation and Informalisation of Global Labour Markets.” Working Paper no. 133. Denmark, Aalborg: Research Center on Development and International Relations (DIR), Aalborg University. .
- 2010. “Trade Openness, Labour Institutions and Flexibilisation: Theory and Evidence from India.” BWPI Working Paper no. 123. Manchester: Brooks World Poverty Institute, University of Manchester. ; ; and .
- 2009. Unfreedom and Waged Work: Labour in India's Manufacturing Industry. New Delhi: Sage Publications India. , and .
- 2006. “Flexibility, Employment and Labour Market Reforms in India. Economic and Political Weekly 41, no. 21: 2078–85.
- 2008. “Employment, Wages and Poverty in the Non-Agricultural Sector: All-India, 2000–05. Economic and Political Weekly 43, no. 22: 91–9.