This study was supported by a grant from the National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases and by the National Institutes of Health. The first author's time was supported a grant from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Its contents are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of the CDC.
Associations Between School Meals Offered Through the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program and Fruit and Vegetable Intake Among Ethnically Diverse, Low-Income Children
Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2010
© 2010, American School Health Association
Journal of School Health
Volume 80, Issue 10, pages 487–492, October 2010
How to Cite
Robinson-O'Brien, R., Burgess-Champoux, T., Haines, J., Hannan, P. J. and Neumark-Sztainer, D. (2010), Associations Between School Meals Offered Through the National School Lunch Program and the School Breakfast Program and Fruit and Vegetable Intake Among Ethnically Diverse, Low-Income Children. Journal of School Health, 80: 487–492. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1561.2010.00532.x
- Issue online: 14 SEP 2010
- Version of Record online: 14 SEP 2010
- Received on March 6, 2009Accepted on March 5, 2010
- 3Healthy People 2010. Understanding and Improving Health (2nd ed.). Washington, DC: US Department of Health and Human Services, US Government Printing Office; 2000.
- 5Low-Income Household's Expenditures on Fruits and Vegetables. Washington, DC: US Department of Agriculture, Economic Research Service; 2004. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Publications/AER833/. Accessed July 27, 2010., ,
- 6School Nutrition Dietary Assessment Study-III: Vol. II: Student Participation and Dietary Intakes. Alexandria, VA: US Department of Agriculture, Food and Nutrition Service, Office of Research, Nutrition and Analysis; 2007., , , et al.
- 7USDA. School Breakfast Program. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/breakfast/. Accessed June 20, 2008.
- 8USDA. National School Lunch Program. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/cnd/lunch/. Accessed June 20, 2008.
- 13‘Ready. Set. ACTION!’ A theater-based obesity prevention program for children: a feasibility study. Health Educ Res. 11 2008., , , et al.
- 14Minnesota Department of Education. School and District Statistics. Available at: http://education.state.mn.us/MDE/Data/Data_Downloads/School_and_District/Schooland_District_Statistics/index.html. Accessed March 2006.
- 151988., , Anthropometric Standardization Reference Manual . Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics Books;
- 17Fruits and Veggies, More Matters. Available at: www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org. Accessed July 27, 2010.
- 27Child Nutrition and WIC Reauthorization Act of 2004. 2004. Available at: http://www.fns.usda.gov/TN/Healthy/108-265.pdf. Accessed February 1, 2007.