Aggression and Violence and the Achievement Gap Among Urban Minority Youth
Article first published online: 16 SEP 2011
© 2011, American School Health Association
Journal of School Health
Special Issue: Dedication This special issue of the Journal of School Health is dedicated to the urban minority youth of America
Volume 81, Issue 10, pages 619–625, October 2011
How to Cite
Basch, C. E. (2011), Aggression and Violence and the Achievement Gap Among Urban Minority Youth. Journal of School Health, 81: 619–625. doi: 10.1111/j.1746-1561.2011.00636.x
- Issue published online: 16 SEP 2011
- Article first published online: 16 SEP 2011
- 1Krug EG, Dahlberg LL, Mercy JA, Zwi AB, Lozano R, eds. World Report on Violence and Health. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2002.
- 2National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. Ten Leading Causes of Death, United States. Available at: http://webappa.cdc.gov/sasweb/ncipc/leadcaus10.html. Accessed February 25, 2010.
- 3Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Violence Prevention: Youth Violence. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/dvp/YVP. Accessed April 17, 2009.
- 4Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. School associated student homicides-United States, 1992–2006. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008;57:33–36.
- 5National Center for Educational Statistics. Indicators of school crime and safety: 2007. Executive summary. Available at: http://nces.ed.gov/programs/crimeindicators/crimeindicators2007. Accessed August 27, 2008.
- 6Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance—United States, 2007. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2008; 57:1–131., , , et al.
- 7http://www.childtrendsdatabank.org/PDF/Violence.pdf. Accessed May 11, 2006., Violence in the lives of children. Available at:
- 29Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. School health guidelines to prevention unintentional injuries and violence. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001;50:1–74.
- 31Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Using environmental design to prevent youth violence. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/dvp/CPTED.htm. Accessed August 28, 2008.
- 37The effectiveness of universal school-based programs for the prevention of violence and aggressive behavior—a report on recommendation of the task force on community preventive services. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56:11., , , et al.
- 382006; 3: CD004606. Available at: http://www.cochrane.org/reviews/en/ab004606.html. Accessed July 24, 2008., , , , School-based secondary prevention programmes for preventing violence. Cochrane Database Syst Rev.
- 39National Institutes of Health. NIH State-of-Science Conference Statement on preventing violence and related health-risking social behaviors in adolescents. NIH Consens State Sci Statements. 2004;21:1–34.