Soil microorganisms have a threshold concentration of glucose to increase the ratio of respiration to assimilation
Version of Record online: 1 APR 2008
© 2008 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 54, Issue 2, pages 216–223, April 2008
How to Cite
SAWADA, K., FUNAKAWA, S. and KOSAKI, T. (2008), Soil microorganisms have a threshold concentration of glucose to increase the ratio of respiration to assimilation. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 54: 216–223. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2007.00235.x
- Issue online: 1 APR 2008
- Version of Record online: 1 APR 2008
- Received 10 July 2007.Accepted for publication 31 October 2007.
- 1978: A physiological method for the quantitative measurement of microbial biomass in soils. Soil Biol. Biochem., 10, 215–221. ,
- 1985: Maintenance carbon requirements of actively-metabolizing microbial populations under in situ conditions. Soil Biol. Biochem., 17, 197–203. ,
- 1986: Carbon assimilation and microbial activity in soil. Z. Pflanzenernähr. Bodenkd., 149, 457–468. ,
- 2002: Relationships between soil microbial biomass determined by chloroform fumigation–extraction, substrate-induced respiration, and phospholipid fatty acid analysis. Soil Biol. Biochem., 34, 1385–1389. , , ,
- 2006: Microbial community utilization of added carbon substrates in response to long-term carbon input manipulation. Soil Biol. Biochem., 38, 2219–2232. , ,
- 1994: Microbial utilization of 14C[U]glucose in soil is affected by the concentration and timing of glucose. Soil Biol. Biochem., 26, 511–517. ,
- 1990: Extractability of microbial 14C and 15N following addition of variable rates of labelled glucose and (NH4)2SO4 to soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 22, 707–713. ,
- 2001: Decomposition of 14C glucose in two soils with different concentrations of heavy metal contamination. Soil Biol. Biochem., 33, 1811–1816. ,
- Short-term decomposition of 14C-labelled glucose in a fluvo–aquic soil as affected by lanthanum amendment. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 43, 811–814. , , et al .
- 1986: Kinetics of glucose uptake by soil microorganisms. Soil Biol. Biochem., 18, 283–289. , ,
- 1998: Can the low microbial biomass C-to-organic C ratio in an acid and a metal contaminated soil be explained by differences in the substrate utilization efficiency and maintenance requirements? Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 633–641. ,
- 1981: Priming effect of small glucose additions to 14C-labelled soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 13, 219–223. ,
- 1989: Priming effect of some organic additions to 14C-labelled soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 21, 443–448. ,
- 2006: Ratios of microbial biomass estimates to evaluate microbial physiology in soil. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 42, 241–246.
- 1998: Influence of sorption on the biological utilization of two simple carbon substrates. Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 1895–1902. ,
- 1999: Extractable dsDNA and product formation as measures of microbial growth in soil upon substrate addition. Soil Biol. Biochem., 31, 1443–1453. ,
- 1992: Physiology, molecular biology and applications of the bacterial starvation response. J. Appl. Bacteriology, 73, 49S–57S.
- 2001: Short-term utilisation of 14C-[U]glucose by soil microorganisms in relation to carbon availability. Soil Biol. Biochem., 33, 53–60. ,
- 2002: A carbon-14–glucose assay to compare microbial activity between rhizosphere samples. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 35, 270–276. ,
- 1970: Energy yields and growth of heterotrophs. Ann. Rev. Microbiol., 24, 17–52.
- 1997: Soil microbial communities and carbon flow in agroecosystems. In Ecology in Agriculture. Ed. LEJackson, pp. 367–413. Academic Press, London.
- 2006: Bacterial and fungal contributions to C-sequestration in agroecosystems. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 70, 555–569. , , ,
- 2001: Reversible transition between active and dormant microbial states in soil. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol., 36, 93–104. , ,
- 1997: Dynamic response of microbial biomass, respiration rate and ATP to glucose addition. Soil Biol. Biochem., 29, 1249–1256. , ,
- 1987: An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass C. Soil Biol. Biochem., 19, 703–707. , ,
- 1995: Why is the strength of relationships between pairs of methods for estimating soil microbial biomass often so variable? Soil Biol. Biochem., 27, 821–828. ,
- 1998: Characteristics of the soil microbial biomass in soils from a long-term field experiment with different levels of C input. Appl. Soil Ecol., 10, 37–49. ,
- 1993: Formation and destruction of microbial biomass during the decomposition of glucose and ryegrass in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 25, 1435–1441. , ,
- 1990: Measurement of soil microbial biomass C by fumigation–extraction – an automated procedure. Soil Biol. Biochem., 22, 1167–1169. , , , ,