N2O and CH4 fluxes from a volcanic grassland soil in Nasu, Japan: Comparison between manure plus fertilizer plot and fertilizer-only plot
Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2008
© 2008 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 54, Issue 4, pages 606–617, August 2008
How to Cite
MORI, A., HOJITO, M., SHIMIZU, M., MATSUURA, S., MIYAJI, T. and HATANO, R. (2008), N2O and CH4 fluxes from a volcanic grassland soil in Nasu, Japan: Comparison between manure plus fertilizer plot and fertilizer-only plot. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 54: 606–617. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2008.00270.x
- Issue online: 21 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 21 JUL 2008
- Received 21 September 2007.Accepted for publication 2 February 2008.
- 2003: Effect of organic matter application on N2O, NO, and NO2 fluxes from an Andisol field. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 17, 1100. ,
- 2004: N2O, NO, and NH3 emission from soil after the application of organic fertilizers. Water, Air, Soil Pollut., 156, 113–129. , , ,
- 2006: Estimation of emission factors for fertilizer-induced direct N2O emission from agricultural soils in Japan: summary of available data. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 52, 774–787. , ,
- 1998: Atmospheric methane consumption by forest soils and extracted bacteria at different pH values. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 64, 2397–2402. , ,
- 2000: Nitrous oxide emission from soils after incorporating crop residues. Soil Use Manage., 16, 82–87. , , ,
- 1996: Direct emission of nitrous oxide from agricultural soils. Nutr, Cycl. Agroecosyst., 46, 53–70.
- 1995: Factors controlling atmospheric methane consumption by temperate forest soils. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 9, 1–10. , , , ,
- 1997: Methane fluxes following slurry application to grassland soils: laboratory experiments. Agric. Ecosystem Environ., 63, 51–60. ,
- 2000: Nitrous oxide and methane emissions following application of animal manure to grassland. J. Environ. Qual., 29, 277–287. , ,
- 1983: Nitrous oxide emission from a soil under permanent grass: seasonal and diurnal fluctuations as influenced by manuring and fertilization. Soil Biol. Biochem., 15, 531–536.
- 1987: Change in stratospheric ozone. Science, 237, 35–42.
- 1991: Fluxes of nitrous oxide and nitric oxide from terrestrial ecosystems. In Microbial Production and Consumption of Greenhouse Gases: Methane, Nitrogen Oxides and Halomethanes. Eds JERogers and WBWhitman, pp. 219–235, American Society for Microbiology, Washington.
- Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs 2001: Making Better Use of Livestock Manures on Grassland, 2nd edn. pp. 10–12. ADAS Gleadthorpe Research Center, Notts.
- 1993: Methane production and consumption in temperate and subarctic peat soils: response to temperature and pH. Soil Biol. Biochem., 25, 321–326. , , ,
- 2001: Methane and nitrous oxide exchange in differently fertilised grassland in southern Germany. Plant Soil, 231, 21–35. ,
- 1995: Calibration for measurement of soil water content using time domain reflectrometry (TDR). Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 66, 678–680 (in Japanese). , ,
- Hokkaido Prefectural Experiment Stations and Hokkaido Animal Research Center 2004: Handbook of Animal Waste Management and Utilization in Hokkaido 2004. Eds , and , pp. 64–67, Hokkaido Prefectural Experiment Stations and Hokkaido Animal Research Center, Sapporo (in Japanese).
- 2002: Effect of nitrogen fertilizer on methane flux in a structured clay soil cultivated with onion in central Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 48, 797–804. , , ,
- 2001: Soil respiration and methane flux in adjacent forest, grassland, and cornfield soils in Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 47, 621–627. , ,
- 1993: Long-term effects of nitrogen fertilization on methane oxidation in soil of the Broadbalk wheat experiment. Soil Biol. Biochem., 25, 1307–1315. , ,
- 1998: Atmospheric methane consumption in adjacent arable and forest soil systems. Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 1187–1193. ,
- 2005: Greenhouse gas emissions from a managed grassland. Global Planet. Change, 47, 201–211. , , ,
- 2001: Methane fluxes from differentially managed grassland study plots: the important role of CH4 oxidation in grassland with a high potential for CH4 production. Environ. Pollut., 115, 261–273. , , ,
- 1993: Classification and characteristics of soils at the National Grassland Research Institute. Misc. Publ. Natl Grassl. Res. Inst., 3, 1–47 (in Japanese). , , et al .
- 1996: Nitrous oxide emission by nitrification and denitrification in different soil types and at different soil moisture contents and temperatures. Appl. Soil Ecol., 4, 5–14. ,
- 1993: The significance of grasslands in absorption of atmospheric methane and emission of nitrous oxide. J. Agr. Met., 48, 719–722. ,
- 2007: Grassland renovation increases N2O emission from a volcanic grassland soil in Nasu, Japan, Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 53, 812–818. ,
- 2005: Effects of plant species on CH4 and N2O fluxes from a volcanic grassland soil in Nasu, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 51, 19–27. , , , ,
- 2004: Effect of nitrogen deposition on CH4 uptake in forest soil in Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 50, 1187–1194. , , , , ,
- 1998: Soil processes and global change. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 27, 221–229.
- 1991: Methane and nitrous oxide fluxes in native, fertilized and cultivated grassland. Nature, 350, 330–332. , , , ,
- National Grassland Research Institute 2001: Meteorological observation in National Grassland Research Institute. Misc. Publ. Natl Grassl. Res. Inst., 4, 3–5 (in Japanese).
- 1995: Stability of methane oxidation capacity to variations in methane and nutrient concentrations. FEMS Microbiol. Ecol., 17, 285–294. ,
- 1985: An evaluation of different organic materials based on their decomposition pattern in paddy soils. Res. Bull. Natl Agric. Res. Cetr., 5, 1–19 (in Japanese with English summary). , , ,
- Soil Survey Staff 1999: Key to Soil Taxonomy, 8th edn. Natural Resources Conservation Service, United States Department of Agriculture, Pocahontas Press, Blacksburg.
- 2007: Effect of crop residue C:N ratio on N2O emissions from grey lowland soil in Mikasa, Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci Plant Nutr., 53, 198–205. ,
- 1997: N2O and NO emissions from grassland soils after the application of cattle and swine excreta. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 49, 35–39. , , ,
- 1996: Moisture and temperature sensitivity of CH4 oxidation in boreal forest and tundra soils. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 28, 1271–1281. ,
- 1997: N2O, NO and NO2 fluxes from a grassland: effect of soil pH. Soil Biol. Biochem., 29, 1199–1208. , , ,
- 1999: Methane emission and uptake from soils as influenced by excreta deposition from grazing animals. J. Environ. Qual., 28, 676–682. , ,