Present address: Kan-nondai 1-3-11, Tsukuba, Ibaraki 305-0856, Japan.
Use of the RothC model to estimate the carbon sequestration potential of organic matter application in Japanese arable soils
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 168–176, February 2010
How to Cite
YOKOZAWA, M., SHIRATO, Y., SAKAMOTO, T., YONEMURA, S., NAKAI, M. and OHKURA, T. (2010), Use of the RothC model to estimate the carbon sequestration potential of organic matter application in Japanese arable soils. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 168–176. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00422.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 22 June 2009. Accepted for publication 31 August 2009.
- 2006: Estimations of emission factors for fertilizer-induced direct N2O emissions from agricultural soils in Japan: summary of available data. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 52, 774–787. , ,
- 2004: Sink potential of Canadian agricultural soils. Clim. Change, 65, 297–314. , , , ,
- 1975: Primary production of grazing lands. In Photosynthesis and Productivity in Different Environments, Ed. JPCooper., pp. 41–73, Cambridge University press, Cambridge.
- 1996: RothC-26.3 – A model for the turnover of carbon in soil. In Evaluation of Soil Organic Matter Models, Ed. DSPowlson, PSmith and JUSmith., pp. 237–246, Springer-Verlag, Berlin. ,
- 2006: RothCUK – a dynamic modelling system for estimating changes in soil C from mineral soils at 1-km resolution in the UK. Soil Use Manage., 22, 274–288. , , et al.
- 1998: Estimating the size of the inert organic matter pool from total soil organic carbon content for use in the Rothamsted carbon model. Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 1207–1211. , , ,
- 2007: Changes in atmospheric constituents and in radiative forcing. Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , et al.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2000: Land Use, Land-Use Change, and Forestry. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2006: 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Prepared by the National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Programme. Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Japan.
- ISSS, ISRIC, FAO 1998: World Reference Base for Soil Resources, World Soil Resources Reports 84. FAO, Rome.
- 1999: Estimating net primary production from measurements made on soil organic matter. Ecology, 80, 2762–2773. , , et al.
- 1977: The turnover of soil organic matter in some of the Rothamsted classical experiments. Soil Sci., 123, 298–305. ,
- 1975: Primary production in forests. In Photosynthesis and Productivity in Different Environments, Ed. JPCooper., pp. 5–40, Cambridge University press, Cambridge.
- 1992: A model of nitrous oxide evolution from soil driven by rainfall events: 1. Model structure and sensitivity. J. Geophys. Res., 97, 9759–9776. , ,
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries 1980: Actual conditions of Japanese arable soils. Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 51, 520–527 (in Japanese).
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries 2008: Final report from the expert meeting for Sustainable agriculture. Available at: http://www.maff.go.jp/j/study/kankyo_hozen/pdf/h2004_report.pdf; accessed 3/11/2009 (in Japanese).
- 2006: The present condition and problems of Japanese arable soil survey. Nougyou (Agriculture), 1487, 31–42 (in Japanese).
- 1988: Biomass production and the amounts of absorbed inorganic elements by crops in arable lands in Hokkaido, and its evaluation. Res. Bull. Hokkaido Natl. Agric. Exp. Stn., 149, 57–91 (in Japanese with English summary). , ,
- 2005: Agricultural management impacts on soil organic carbon storage under moist and dry climatic conditions of temperate and tropical regions. Biogeochemistry, 72, 87–121. , ,
- 1987: Analysis of factors controlling soil organic matter levels in Great Plains grasslands. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 51, 1173–1179. , , ,
- 1997: Agricultural soils as a sink to mitigate CO2 emissions. Soil Use Manage., 13, 230–244. , , et al.
- 1993: An estimation of distribution of meteorological elements using GIS and AMeDAS data. J. Agric. Meteorol., 48, 379–383.
- 2004: Modified Rothamsted carbon model for Andosols and its validation: changing humus decomposition rate constant with pyrophosphate-extractable Al. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 50, 149–158. , ,
- 2003: Testing the suitability of the Rothamsted carbon model for long-term experiments on Japanese non-volcanic upland soils. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 49, 921–925. ,
- 2005: Applying the Rothamsted Carbon Model for long-term experiments on Japanese paddy soils and modifying it by simple tuning of the decomposition rate. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 51, 405–415. ,
- 1993: Volcanic Ash Soils. Elsevier, Amsterdam. , ,
- 2007a: Agriculture. Climate Change 2007: Mitigation. Contribution of Working Group III to the Fourth Assessment Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , et al.
- 2008: Greenhouse gas mitigation in agriculture. Philos. Trans. R. Soc. B, 363, 789–813. , , et al.
- 2005: Projected changes in mineral soil carbon of European croplands and grasslands, 1990-2080. Glob. Chang. Biol., 11, 2141–2152. , , et al.
- 2007b: Projected changes in the organic carbon stocks of cropland mineral soils of European Russia and the Ukraine, 1990-2070. Glob. Chang. Biol., 13, 342–356. , , et al.
- 1948: An approach toward a rational classification of climate. Geogr. Rev., 38, 55–94.
- 2005: Modelling the evolution of regional carbon stocks in Belgian cropland soils. Can. J. Soil. Sci., 85, 511–521. , , ,