Airborne nitrogen load in Japanese and Chinese agroecosystems
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 2–18, February 2010
How to Cite
HAYASHI, K. and YAN, X. (2010), Airborne nitrogen load in Japanese and Chinese agroecosystems. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 2–18. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00423.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 12 July 2009. Accepted for publication 18 September 2009.
- 2007: Air concentrations and wet deposition of major inorganic ions at five non-urban sites in China, 2001–2003. Atmos. Environ., 41, 1706–1716. , , et al.
- 2002: Effect of chemical fertilizer form on N2O, NO and NO2 fluxes from Andisol field. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 63, 219–230. ,
- 2003: Nitrous oxide, nitric oxide, and nitrogen dioxide fluxes from soils after manure and urea application. J. Environ. Qual., 32, 423–431. ,
- 2000: N2O and NO emissions from soils after the application of different chemical fertilizers. Chemosphere - Global Change Sci., 2, 313–320. , ,
- 2001: Emission of trace gases and aerosols from biomass burning. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 15, 955–966. ,
- 2001: Atmospheric nitrogen compounds II: emissions, transport, transformation, deposition and assessment. Atmos. Environ., 35, 1903–1911. , , et al.
- 2003: Chemical composition of size-resolved atmospheric aerosols in the eastern Mediterranean during summer and winter. Atmos. Environ., 37, 195–208. , , et al.
- 2002: Exchange of trace gases between soils and the atmosphere in Scots pine forest ecosystems of the northeastern German lowlands 1. Fluxes of N2O, NO/NO2 and CH4 at forest sites with different N-deposition. Forest Ecol. Manag., 167, 123–134. , , , ,
- 2002: Nitrogen losses from fertilizers applied to maize, wheat and rice in the North China Plain. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 63, 187–195. , , , , ,
- 1992b: Ammonia volatilization from urea applied to acid paddy soil in southern China and its control. Pedosphere, 2, 345–354. , , , ,
- 1992a: Gaseous loss of nitrogen from fertilizers applied to a paddy soil in southeastern China. Pedosphere, 2, 209–217. , , , , , ,
- 1986: Nitrogen loss from ammonium bicarbonate and urea fertilizers applied to flooded rice. Fert Res., 10, 203–215. , , , ,
- 2003: Measurements of sulfur dioxide, ozone and ammonia concentrations in Asia, Africa, and South America using passive samplers. Atmos. Environ., 37, 1293–1308. , , et al.
- 2008: Input-output budgets for inorganic nitrogen under acid rain in a subtropical evergreen mixed forest in central-south China. Water Air Soil Pollut., 190, 171–181. , , et al.
- 2008: Agricultural air quality in Europe and the future perspectives. Atmos. Environ., 42, 3209–3217. , , ,
- 2006: Ammonia volatilization losses and 15N balance from urea applied to rice on a paddy soil. J. Environ. Sci., 18, 299–303. , , , ,
- 2005: Ammonia volatilization losses from urea applied to wheat on a paddy soil in Taihu region, China. Pedosphere, 15, 59–65. , , , ,
- 2007: Cumulative effects of nitrogen additions on litter decomposition in three tropical forests in southern China. Plant Soil, 297, 233–242. , , , ,
- 2009: Response of nitrogen leaching to nitrogen deposition in disturbed and mature forests of southern China. Pedosphere, 19, 111–120. , , , ,
- 2001: Advances in micrometeorological methods for the measurement and interpretation of gas and particle nitrogen fluxes. Plant Soil, 228, 117–129. , , et al.
- 2008: Contribution of agricultural nitrogen to atmospheric aerosols in monsoon Asia. Abstracts of the International Workshop on Anthropogenic Impacts on Asian Monsoon, Nanjing, China, 30. , , ,
- 2002: Reactive nitrogen and the world: 200 years of change. Ambio, 31, 64–71. ,
- 2004: Nitrogen cycles: past, present, and future. Biogeochemistry, 70, 153–226. , , et al.
- 2009b: Measurement of ammonia emission using a dynamic chamber technique: a case study of surface-incorporated manure and ammonium sulfate at an upland field of light-colored Andosol. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 55, 571–581. , , ,
- 2008b: Ammonia exchange between rice leaf blades and the atmosphere: effect of broadcast urea and changes of xylem sap and leaf apoplastic ammonium concentrations. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 54, 807–818. , , ,
- 2009a: Effects of field-applied composted cattle manure and chemical fertilizer on ammonia and particulate ammonium exchanges at an upland field. Atmos. Environ., 43, 5702–5707. , ,
- 2009d: Effects of observational time resolution on estimated fluxes of ammoniacal nitrogen. J. Jpn. Soc. Atmos. Environ., 44, 248–254. (in Japanese with English abstract). , ,
- 2007: Atmospheric deposition of reactive nitrogen on turf grassland in central Japan: comparison of the contribution of wet and dry deposition. Water Air Soil Pollut. Focus, 7, 119–129. , ,
- 2006a: Ammonia volatilization from the surface of a Japanese paddy field during rice cultivation. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 52, 545–555. , ,
- 2008a: Ammonia volatilization from a paddy field following applications of urea: rice plants are both an absorber and an emitter for atmospheric ammonia. Sci. Tot. Environ., 390, 485–494. , ,
- 2006b: Key features of wet deposition in Japan: results of the Japanese Acid Deposition Survey for 20 years. IGACtivities Newsletter of the International Global Atmospheric Chemistry Project, 33, 2–6. , , et al.
- 2009c: Ammoniacal nitrogen emission from a young larch ecosystem afforested after clear-cutting of a pristine forest in northernmost Japan. Water Air Soil Pollut., 200, 33–46. , , et al.
- 2006: Modelling nitrogen deposition on a local scale: a review of the current state of the art. Environ. Chem., 3, 317–337. , , et al.
- 1987: A preliminary multiple resistance routine for deriving dry deposition velocities from measured quantities. Water Air Soil Pollut., 36, 311–330. , , , ,
- 2008: Soil sensitivity to acidification in Asia: status and prospects. Ambio, 37, 295–303. , , , , ,
- 2006b: The status of atmospheric concentrations of ammonia in an intensive dairy farming area in central Japan. Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 77, 53–57 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , ,
- 2006a: The status of wet deposition of nitrogen compounds in an intensive dairy farming area in central Japan. Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 77, 47–52 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , , ,
- 2008: Low cost measurements of nitrogen and sulphur dry deposition velocities at a semi-alpine site: gradient measurements and a comparison with deposition model estimates. Environ. Pollut., 154, 473–481. , , ,
- 2007: Ammonia emissions from anaerobically-digested slurry and chemical fertilizer applied to flooded forage rice. Water Air Soil Pollut., 183, 37–48. , , et al.
- 2007: Contribution of atmospheric nitrogen compounds to N deposition in a broadleaf forest of southern China. Pedosphere, 17, 360–365. , , et al.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment Report of Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- 2008: Seasonal and annual fluxes of inorganic constituents in a small catchment of a Japanese cedar forest near the Sea of Japan. Water Air Soil Pollut., 195, 51–61. , , et al.
- 2002: Regional nitrogen deposition model for integrated assessment of acidification and eutrophication. Atmos. Environ., 36, 1111–1122. ,
- 2001: Estimation of ammonia emissions in Japan. J. Jpn. Soc. Atmos. Environ., 36, 29–37 (in Japanese with English abstract). , ,
- 2008: Nitrous oxide and nitric oxide fluxes from cornfield, grassland, pasture and forest in a watershed in Southern Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 54, 662–680. , , ,
- 2009: Trends in on-road vehicle emissions of ammonia. Atmos. Environ., 43, 1565–1570. , , , , ,
- 2002: Nitrogen fertilization and nitrate pollution in groundwater in Japan: present status and measures for sustainable agriculture. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 63, 129–137.
- 2006: Three years of nitrous oxide and nitric oxide emissions from silandic andosols cultivated with maize in Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 52, 103–113. , , ,
- 2008: Nitrogen losses from integrated rice-duck and rice-fish ecosystems in southern China. Plant Soil, 307, 207–217. , , , , ,
- 2006: Nitrogen deposition in agroecosystems in the Beijing area. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 113, 370–377. , , , , ,
- 2007: Spatial and temporal patterns of nitrogen deposition in China: synthesis of observational data. J. Geophys. Res., 112, D22S05, doi:10.1029/2006JD007990. ,
- 2003: The effect of nitrogen deposition on nitrification, carbon and nitrogen mineralisation and litter C:N ratios in oak (Quercus robur L.) forests. Forest Ecol. Manag., 179, 455–467. ,
- 2004: A spatially refined monitoring based study of atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Atmos. Environ., 38, 5045–5046. ,
- 2009: Long-term declining trends in river water pH in central Japan. Water Air Soil Pollut., 200, 253–265. , , et al.
- 2008: Estimation of dry deposition for sulfur and nitrogen compounds in the atmosphere: updated parameterization of deposition velocity. J. Jpn. Soc. Atmos. Environ., 43, 332–339 (in Japanese with English abstract).
- 2008: Ammonia volatilization factors following the surface application of dairy cattle slurry to grassland in Japan: results from pot and field experiments. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 54, 627–637. , , ,
- 2000: Marine and land-based influences on atmospheric ammonia and ammonium over Tenerife. Tellus, 52B, 273–289. , , et al.
- Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries 2008: Annual Report on Food, Agriculture and Rural Areas in Japan FY 2007. Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Government of Japan. http://www.maff.go.jp/e/annual_report/2007/pdf/e_all.pdf (July, 2009).
- Ministry of the Environment 2009: Report of long-term monitoring of acid deposition in Japan. Ministry of the Environment, Government of Japan. pp. 191 (in Japanese).
- 2006: Response of litter decomposition to simulated N deposition in disturbed, rehabilitated and mature forests in subtropical China. Plant Soil, 282, 135–151. , , , ,
- 2007: Response of soil respiration to simulated N deposition in a disturbed and a rehabilitated tropical forest in southern China. Plant Soil, 296, 125–135. , , , , ,
- 2008: Nitrogen addition reduces soil respiration in a mature tropical forest in southern China. Global Change Biol., 14, 403–412. , , , , , ,
- 2004: Effect of nitrogen deposition on CH4 uptake in forest soils in Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 50, 1187–1194. , , , , ,
- 2001: Exchange of gaseous nitrogen compounds between agricultural systems and the atmosphere. Plant Soil, 228, 17–27.
- 2000: Emission, concentration variation, and dry and wet deposition of reduced nitrogen compounds (NHX) in Japan. Global Environ. Res., 4, 13–23. ,
- 2005: Passive sampling and/or extraction techniques in environmental analysis: a review. Anal. Bioanal. Chem., 381, 279–301. , , , ,
- 2002: The origin, composition and rates of organic nitrogen deposition: a missing piece of the nitrogen cycle? Biogeochemistry, 57/58, 99–136. , , , ,
- Network Center of EANET (Acid Deposition Monitoring Network in East Asia) 2006: Periodic Report on the State of Acid Deposition in East Asia: Executive Summary. http://www.eanet.cc/product.html (July, 2009).
- Network Center of EANET each year from 2001 to 2008: Data Report of EANET. http://www.eanet.cc/product.html (July, 2009).
- 1997: Methane oxidation in soil profiles of Dutch and Finnish coniferous forests with different soil texture and atmospheric nitrogen deposition. Soil Biol. Biochem., 29, 1625–1632. , , et al.
- 2008: Seasonal variation in the atmospheric deposition of inorganic constituents and canopy interactions in a Japanese cedar forest. Environ. Pollut., 152, 1–10. , , , , ,
- 2006: Atmospheric Chemistry and Physics: From Air Pollution to Climate Change, 2nd Edn. Wiley, New York, pp. 1232. ,
- 2005: Nationwide estimation of nitrogen load and nitrogen concentration in natural stream water. Environ. Sci., 18, 455–463 (in Japanese with English abstract). , , , ,
- 2006: Prediction of the environmental effects of excess nitrogen caused by increasing food demand with rapid economic growth in eastern Asian countries, 1961-2020. Ecol. Model., 193, 703–720. , ,
- 2004: The possible influence of nitrogen and acid deposition on forest growth in Norway. Forest Ecol. Manag., 192, 241–249. , , et al.
- 2001: Ammonia dry deposition over grassland - micrometeorological flux-gradient measurements and bidirectional flux calculations using an inferential model. Quar. J. Roy. Meteorol. Soc., 127, 795–814. , ,
- 2004: Impact of nitrogen deposition on the species richness of grasslands. Science, 303, 1876–1879. , , ,
- 2002: Nitrous acid formation in the urban atmosphere: gradient measurements of NO2 and HONO over grass in Milan, Italy. J. Geophys. Res., 107, D22. , ,
- 2008: Ammonia in the environment: from ancient times to the present. Environ. Pollut., 156, 583–604. , , ,
- 2009: Atmospheric Ammonia: Detecting Emission Changes and Environmental Impacts. Springer, Berlin, pp. 464. , , (eds)
- 2008: Transport and transformation of total reactive nitrogen over the East China Sea. J. Geophys. Res., 113, D10306, doi:10.1029/2007JD009462. , , et al.
- 2008a: Major nutrient balances in small-scale vegetable farming systems in peri-urban areas in China. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 81, 203–218. , , et al.
- 2008b: Atmospheric nitrogen deposition in agroecosystem in red soil region of Jiangxi Province. Acta Pedologica Sinica, 45, 280–287 (in Chinese with English abstract). , , , ,
- 2004: Dynamics and ecological significance of nitrogen wet-deposition in Taihu Lake region: taking Changshu Agro-ecological Experiment Station as an example. Chinese J. Appl. Ecol., 15, 1616–1620 (in Chinese with English abstract). , , ,
- 2003: Research on non-point source pollution in Tai Lake region. Resources and Environment in the Yangtze Basin, 12, 45–49 (in Chinese with English abstract). ,
- 2007: Assessment of nitrogen pollutant sources in surface waters of Taihu Lake region. Pedosphere, 17, 200–208. , , , ,
- 2008: Source of nitrogen in wet deposition to a rice agroecosystem at Tai lake region. Atmos. Environ., 42, 5182–5192. , , et al.
- 2008: Impacts of population growth, changing food preferences and agricultural practices on the nitrogen cycle in East Asia. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosyst., 80, 189–198. , , , , ,
- 2003: Estimation of nitrous oxide, nitric oxide and ammonia emissions from croplands in East, Southeast and South Asia. Global Change Biol., 9, 1080–1096. , ,
- 2006: Bottom-up estimate of biomass burning in mainland China. Atmos. Environ., 40, 5262–5273. , ,
- 2006: Atmospheric nitrogen wet deposition and its effect on water environment of Shanghai area. Chinese J. Appl. Ecol., 17, 1099–1102 (in Chinese with English abstract).
- 2003: A revised parameterization for gaseous dry deposition in air-quality models. Atmos. Chem. Phys., 3, 2067–2082. , ,
- 1992: Losses of urea-nitrogen applied to maize green on a calcareous fluvo-quaic soil in north China plain. Pedosphere, 2, 171–178. , , , , ,
- 2008b: Nitrogen inputs and isotopes in precipitation in the North China Plain. Atmos. Environ., 42, 1436–1448. , , , ,
- 2002: Modelling gaseous dry deposition in AURAMS: a unified regional air-quality modelling system. Atmos. Environ., 36, 537–560. , , , ,
- 2007: Characterization of nutrients in the atmospheric wet and dry deposition observed at the two monitoring sites over Yellow Sea and East China Sea. J. Atmos. Chem., 57, 41–57. , ,
- 2008a: Evidence for organic N deposition and its anthropogenic sources in China. Atmos. Environ., 42, 1035–1041. , , et al.
- 2007: Atmospheric deposition of organic nitrogen: a review. Acta Ecologica Sinica, 27, 3828–3834 (in Chinese with English abstract). , ,
- 1989: Processes of nitrogen loss from fertilizers applied to flooded rice fields on a calcareous soil in north-central China. Fertil. Res., 18, 101–115. , , et al.