Carbon stock in litter, deadwood and soil in Japan’s forest sector and its comparison with carbon stock in agricultural soils
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 19–30, February 2010
How to Cite
TAKAHASHI, M., ISHIZUKA, S., UGAWA, S., SAKAI, Y., SAKAI, H., ONO, K., HASHIMOTO, S., MATSUURA, Y. and MORISADA, K. (2010), Carbon stock in litter, deadwood and soil in Japan’s forest sector and its comparison with carbon stock in agricultural soils. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 19–30. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00425.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 22 June 2009. Accepted for publication 2 October 2009.
- 1996: Total carbon and nitrogen in the soils of the world. Eur. J. Soil Sci., 47, 151–163.
- 2003: Plant Litter – Decomposition, Humus Formation, Carbon Sequestration. Springer-Verlag, Berlin Heidelberg. ,
- 2003: Modeling soil carbon from forest and pasture ecosystems of Amazon, Brazil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 67, 1879–1887. , , , , ,
- Classification committee of cultivated soils 1995: Classification of cultivated soils in Japan. Third approximation. Miscellaneous Publication of National Institute of Agro-Environmental Sciences. pp.75. (English version is available from http://soilgc.job.affrc.go.jp/Document/Classification.pdf.) (Aug. 2009)
- 2005: Biomass carbon accumulation by Japan’s forests from 1947 to 1995, Global Biogeochem. Cycles 19, GB2004, doi:10.1029/2004GB002253. , , , ,
- Forest Soil Division 1976: Classification of forest soil in Japan (1975). Bull. Gov. For. Exp. Sta. (Tokyo), 280, 1–28. (in Japanese with English summary)
- 1993: Toward a taxonomic classification of humus forms. For. Sci. Monograph., 29, 1–49. , ,
- 2002: Soil carbon stocks and land use change: a meta analysis. Glob. Change Biol., 8, 345–360. ,
- 2000: Interaction between greenhouse gases and soil ecosystem : 1. Carbon dioxide and terrestrial ecosystem. J. Sci. Soil Manure Jpn., 71, 263–274. (in Japanese) , , , ,
- 2003: Mechanisms for changes in soil carbon storage with pasture to Pinus radiata land-use change. Glob. Change Biol., 9, 1294–1308. , , et al.
- 1988: Timber economy and forest policy after the World War II. In Forest Policy in Japan, Ed. RHanda pp. 22–35, Nippon Ringyo Chosakai, Tokyo.
- 1986: Ecology of coarse woody debris in temperate ecosystems. Adv. Ecol. Res., 15, 133–302. , , et al.
- 1991: Coarse woody debris dynamics in two old-growth ecosystems. -comparing a deciduous forest in China and a conifer forest in Oregon. Bioscience, 41, 604–610. ,
- 1995: Land use change in Japan. in ATLAS – Environmental Change in Modern Japan, Eds. ONishikawa, YHimiyama, TArai, IOta, SKubo, TTamura, MNogami, YMurayama and TYorifuji., pp.12–13, Asakura Shoten, Tokyo, Japan. (in Japanese)
- 2006: Characteristics of nitrogen mineralization in the soil of Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) and their responses to environmental changes and forest management. J. Jpn. For. Soc., 88, 302–311. (in Japanese with English summary) , , et al.
- 2003: Revised estimates of the annual net flux of carbon to the atmosphere from changes in land use and land management 1850–2000. Tellus, 55B, 378–390.
- 2007: Free oxides and short-range ordered mineral properties of brown forest soils developed from different parent materials in the submontane zone of the Kanto and Chubu districts, Japan. Soil Sci. Plant Nutri., 53, 621–633. , , ,
- IPCC 1996: Revised 1996 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories. Eds. JTHoughton, LGMeira Filho, BLim, KTreanton, IMamaty, YBonduki, DJGriggs and BACallender. IPCC/OECD/IEA, UK Meteorological Office, Bracknell.
- IPCC 2003: Good Practice Guidance for Land Use, Land-Use Change and Forestry. Eds. JPenman, MGytarsky, THiraishi, TKrug, DKruger, RPipatti, LBuendia, KMiwa, TNgara, KTanabe and FWagner. The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Hayama, Japan.
- IPCC 2006: 2006 IPCC Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories. Eds. SEggelston, LBuendia, KMiwa, TNgara and KTanabe. The Institute for Global Environmental Strategies (IGES), Hayama, Japan.
- IPCC 2007: Climate Change 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Contribution of Working Group I to the Fourth Assessment. Report of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. Eds. SSolomon, DQin, MManning et al. Cambridge University Press,Cambridge, United Kingdom and New York, NY, USA.
- 2009: Methane uptake rates in Japanese forest soils depend on the oxidation ability of topsoil, with a new estimate for global methane uptake in temperate forest. Biogeochemistry, 92, 281–295. , , et al.
- IUSS Working Group WRB 2006: World Reference Base for Soil Resources. World Soil Resources Reports No. 103, FAO, Rome.
- 2002: Study on the carbon dynamics of rhizosphere in a cool-temperate climate forest 2. Estimation of carbon storage in ecosystem based on precise field measurements. J. Jpn. Agri. Syst. Soc., 18, 142–151. (in Japanese with English summary) , ,
- 2007: The carbon budget of coarse woody debris in a temperate broad-leaved secondary forest in Japan. Tellus, 59B, 211–222. , , et al.
- 2005: International Energy Technology Collaboration and Climate Change Mitigation. Synthesis report. OECD/IEA, COM/ENV/EPOC/IEA/SLT(2005)11. ,
- 1986: Carbon-cycling changes during regeneration of a deciduous broadleaf forest after clear-cutting I. Changes in organic matter and carbon storage. Jpn. J. Ecol., 35, 551–563. ,
- 1984: Basis for organic matter accumulation in soils under anaerobiosis. Soil Sci., 137, 419–427. ,
- 2004: Soil carbon sequestration impacts on global climate change and food security. Science, 304, 1623–1627.
- 2005: Forest soils and carbon sequestration. For. Ecol. Manag., 220, 242–258.
- 2005: Soil organic matter fractions as early indicators for carbon stock changes under different land-use? Geoderma, 124, 143–155. ,
- 2005: Carbon and decomposition model Yasso for forest soil. Ecol. Model., 189, 168–182. , , ,
- 1960: Studies on the physical properties of forest soil and their relation to the growth of Sugi (Cryptomeria japonica) and Hinoki (Chamaecyparis obtusa). For. Soils Jpn. (Tokyo), 11, 1–182. (in Japanese).
- 2007: Development of national forest resources database for accounting and reporting under the Kyoto Protocol. FORMATH, 6, 141–163. (in Japanese with English summary) , , et al.
- 2001: How does carbon cycling change after a gap formation in the forest? North. For. Jpn., 53(1), 16–19. (in Japanese) , ,
- 2005: Near Zero Emissions Technologies, ABARE eReport 05.1. Canberra, Australian Bureau of Agricultural and Resource Economics. Available from URL: http://www.abare.gov.au/publications_html/climate/climate_05/er05_emissions.pdf. , , , , , ,
- Ministry of the Environment, Japan 2008: National Greenhouse Gas Inventory Report of Japan, May 2008. Greenhouse Gas Inventory Office of Japan, Center for Global Environmental Research, and National Institute for Environmental Studies (Ed). Ministry of the Environment, Japan.
- 2000: Proposal for a new definition to evaluate the status of forest floor cover percentage (FCP) from the viewpoint of the protection against raindrop splash. J. Jpn. For. Soc., 82, 132–140. (in Japanese with English summary)
- 2004: Organic carbon stock of topsoil and its geographic distribution in Japan. J. Environ Inf. Sci. Jpn., 32(5), 25–32. (in Japanese)
- 2004: Organic carbon stock in forest soils in Japan. Geoderma, 119, 21–32. , ,
- 2007: Methane uptake and nitrous oxide emission in Japanese forest soils and their relationship to soil and vegetation types. Soil Sci. Plant Nutri., 53, 678–691. , , et al.
- 2002: Does conversion of forest to agricultural land change soil carbon and nitrogen? a review of the literature. Glob. Change Biol., 8, 105–123. , , ,
- 2008: Current status and challenge of soil survey in arable lands. In Current Role and Challenges of Soil Resources. Ed. DainipponNoukai. Dainippon Noukai Sousho, No. 7, Tokyo, Japan. pp. 70–91. (in Japanese, translated by authors)
- 2003: Monitoring of soil characteristics of arable lands in Japan. Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 74, 557–565. (in Japanese) ,
- 2000: Outline of the soil monitoring and soil quality changes of the arable land in Japan. Pedologist, 44, 134–142. (in Japanese)
- 2003: Exchangeable bases and related soil properties of arable lands in Japan. Changes of soil characteristics in Japanese arable lands (I). Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 74, 615–622. (in Japanese with English summary) ,
- 2004: Available phosphate of arable lands in Japan. Changes of soil characteristics in Japanese arable lands (II). Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 75, 59–67. (in Japanese with English summary) ,
- 2001: Estimation method of the mass of deposited organic matter on forest floor in Japan. Transactions of the meeting in Kanto branch of the Japanese forest society., 53, 143–144. (in Japanese) , ,
- 1994: A general model for soil organic matter dynamics: Sensitivity to litter chemistry, texture and management. In Quantitative Modeling of Soil Forming Processes. Eds. RBBryant and RWArnold. pp. 147–167., SSSA special publication 39. Madison, WI, USA. , , ,
- 2002: Change in soil carbon following afforestation. For. Ecol. Manag., 168, 241–257. , , ,
- 2000: Soil carbon sequestration and land-use change: processes and potential. Glob. Change Biol., 6, 317–327. ,
- 2002: Net ecosystem production: a comprehensive measure of net carbon accumulation by ecosystems. Ecol. Appl., 12, 937–947. , , , ,
- 1987: Mixture content of large organic matter in soil (III) Mixture content of leaf in soil related to the slope position in Chamaecyparis obtusa stand. Trans. Jpn. For. Soc., 98, 193–196. (in Japanese) , ,
- 2008: Estimating decay rates of dead wood by changes in wood density in coniferous plantations in Japan. Jpn. J. For. Environ., 50, 153–165. (in Japanese) , , et al.
- 1995: Carbon storage in volcanogeneous Regosols, central Hokkaido, Japan. North. For. Jpn., 43, 69–71. (in Japanese) , , ,
- 2004: Litterfall dynamics after a typhoon disturbance in a Castanopsis cuspidate coppice, southwestern Japan. Ann. For. Sci., 61, 431–438.
- 1999: Soil carbon storage in plantation forests and pastures: land-use change implications. Tellus, 51B, 326–335. , , , ,
- 2004: δ13C values of organic constitutents and possible source of humic substances in Japanese volcanic ash soils. Soil Sci., 170, 175–182. , , , ,
- 2006: Validation and modification of soil organic matter models in arable soils in Japan and Thailand. Bull. Nat. Inst. Agro-Environ. Sci., 24, 23–94. (in Japanese with English summary)
- 2004: Modified Rothamsted Carbon model for Andosols and its validation: Changing humus decomposition rate constant with pyrophosphate-extractable Al. Soil Sci. Plant Nutri., 50, 149–158. , ,
- 1993: Volcanic Ash Soils -Genesis, Properties and Utilization. Developments in Soil Science 21, Elsevier Science Publishers B.V., The Netherland. ISBN 0-444-89799-2. , ,
- Soil Survey Staff 2006: Keys to Soil Taxonomy, 10th ed. USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Washington, DC.
- 2007: The Economics of Climate Change: The Stern Review. Cambridge University Press. UK ISBN-13: 9780521700801.
- 1995: Nutrient Regime and Management of Forest Floor in Japan. Ph.D. theses at Hokkaido University, Sapporo, Japan (in Japanese)
- 1998: Size distribution and carbon to nitrogen ratios of size fractionated organic matter in forest floor of coniferous and broadleaved stands. In Environmental Forest Science: Proceedings of the IUFRO Division 8 Conference Environmental Forest Science, Held 19-23 October 1998. ed. KyojiSassa. pp. 207–214, Kyoto University, Japan, Springer.
- 2000: Organic matter in forest soil and estimation of carbon storage. Jpn. J. For. Environ., 42, 61–69. (in Japanese)
- 2005: Direct estimation of carbon mass of organic layer from dry weight. J. For. Res., 10, 239–241.
- 2008: Nation-wide survey of carbon stock in forest soils in Japan. Jpn. J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 79, 109–111. (in Japanese) ,
- 2006: Chapter II.8 Dead wood and litter, In Report on the project of reinforcement and maintenance of measurement and utilization system of forest sink. (1) Development of data sheets and accounting methods of forest sink. pp. 146–151, March 2006, Forestry and Forest Products Research Institute, Tsukuba, Japan. (in Japanese, translated by authors) ,
- 2000: Establishment of tree seedlings and water-soluble nutrients in coarse woody debris in an old-growth Picea-Abies forest in Hokkaido, northern Japan. Can. J. For. Res., 30, 1148–1155. , , ,
- 2001: Chemical characteristics and acid buffering capacity of surface soils in Japanese forests. Water Air Soil Pollut., 130, 727–732. , ,
- 1987: Decomposition of leaf litter in relation to litter quality and site conditions. Mem. Coll. Agric. Kyoto Univ., 130, 17–38. , ,
- 1999: The Green Archipelago, Forestry in Preindustrial Japan. Ohio University Press, USA.
- 1991: Downhill movement of litter and its implication for ecological studies in three types of forest in Japan. Ecol. Res., 6, 333–345.
- 1992: Study on changes in soil properties brought about by afforestation in Mt. Tanakami, Shiga prefecture. Pedologist, 36, 17–30. (in Japanese) , ,
- 1959: An investigation of the forest humus layers of the needle leaved forests in Hokkaido. Bull. Gov. For. Exp. Sta. (Tokyo), 114, 53–205. (in Japanese with English summary)
- 1986: Ando Soils in Japan. Ed. KWada, Kyushu University Press, Fukuoka, Japan. ISBN: 978-4-87378-129-7.
- 2000: Land Use, Land-Use Change, and Forestry. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, UK. , , , , ,
- 1971: Forest humus: its classification on genetic basis. Soil Sci., 111, 1–12.
- 1963: Survey and population studies of beetles in the wind-swept areas in Hokkaido. (III) Beetle attacks on standing trees during the epidemic period, 1956 to 1958. Bull. Gov. For. Exp. Stn. (Tokyo), 151, 75–135. (In Japanese with English summary) , , et al.
- 1982: Turnover of live and dead woody organs in forest ecosystems-an assessment based on the changes in the frequency distribution of their diameter: Studies on the rate of decay of wood litter on the forest floor. IV. Jpn. J. Ecol., 32, 333–346.