Net nitrogen mineralization and nitrification rates in forest soil in northeastern Taiwan
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 177–185, February 2010
How to Cite
OWEN, J. S., KING, H. B., WANG, M. K. and SUN, H. L. (2010), Net nitrogen mineralization and nitrification rates in forest soil in northeastern Taiwan. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 177–185. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00427.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 15 April 2009. Accepted for publication 8 November 2009.
- 2000: Soil C:N ratio as a predictor of annual riverine DOC flux at local and global scales. Global Biogeochem. Cycles, 14, 127–138. ,
- APHA 1998: Cadmium reduction method. In Standard Methods for the Examination of Water and Wastewater, Ed. ., pp. 44–118, APHA, Washington, DC.
- 1989: The components of nitrogen availability assessments in forest soils. Adv. Soil. Sci., 10, 57–112. ,
- 1992: Influence of sampling date and substrate on nitrogen mineralization; comparison of laboratory-incubation and buried-bag methods for two Massachusetts forest soils. Can. J. For. Res., 22, 1895–1900.
- 2007: Indicators for nitrogen status and leaching in subtropical forest ecosystems, South China. Biogeochemistry, 82, 165–180. ,
- 2002: Influences of forests on water flows from headwater watersheds in Taiwan. For. Ecol. Manage., 165, 11–28. , ,
- 1998: Evaluation of organic horizon C:N ratio as an indicator of nitrate leaching in conifer forests across Europe. Environ. Pollut., 102 (Suppl 1), 453–456. , ,
- 1983: Direct colorimetric measurement of ammonium in potassium chloride extracts of soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 47, 833–836. ,
- 1993: Variation in foliar 15N abundance and the availability of soil nitrogen on Walker Branch Watershed. Ecology, 74, 2098–2113.
- 1986: Particle-size analysis. In Method of Soil Analysis 2nd edition Part 1. Physical and Mineralogical Methods, Ed. et al. , pp. 377–411, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI. ,
- 2005: Soil variability along a nitrogen mineralization and nitrification gradient in a nitrogen-saturated hardwood forest. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer. J., 69, 247–256. , , ,
- 1989: Soil N mineralization and nitrification in relation to nitrogen solution chemistry in a small forested watershed. Biogeochemistry, 8, 167–184. ,
- 1998: Spatial variability of soil nitrogen transformations patterns along a forest slope in a Cryptomeria japonica D. Don plantation. Eur. J. Soil Biol., 34, 123–131. , ,
- 1992: Effects of plant species on nutrient cycling. Trends Ecol. Evol., 7, 336–339.
- 1996: Soil nutrient pool and available nutrient dynamics in the Fushan mixed hardwood forest ecosystem. Taiwan J. For. Sci., 11, 465–473 (in Chinese, with English abstract). ,
- 1999: Hydrological characteristics of Fushan Experimental Forest. Quart. J. Chin. For., 32, 39–51 (in Chinese, with English abstract). ,
- 2004: Effects of forest type and stand age on litterfall quality and soil N dynamics in Shikoku district, southern Japan. For. Ecol. Manag., 202, 107–117. , ,
- 2008: A neural network approach to simple prediction of soil nitrification potential: a case study in Japanese temperate forests. Ecol. Modell., 219, 200–211. , , ,
- 2003: Nitrogen budget and N retention in a partially cultivated subtropical watershed in Taiwan. Water Air Soil Pollut., 156, 211–228. , ,
- 2001: Base cation leaching from the canopy of a subtropical rainforest in northeastern Taiwan. Can. J. For. Res., 31, 1156–1163. , , , , ,
- 1997: Spatial variability of throughfall in a subtropical rainforest in Taiwan. J. Environ. Qual., 26, 172–180. , , ,
- 2000: Throughfall patterns in a subtropical rain forest of northeastern Taiwan. J. Environ. Qual., 29, 1186–1193. , , ,
- 1996a: Soil survey and classification of the Fushan Experimental Forest. Taiwan J. For. Sci., 11, 159–174. , , , ,
- 1996b: Estimates of aboveground nutrient accumulation in broadleaf forests of the Fu-shan forest. Taiwan J. For. Sci., 11, 29–42. , , ,
- 1999: A study on typhoon disturbance to the canopy of natural hardwood forest in northeastern Taiwan. Quart. J. Chin. For., 32, 67–78. , , , ,
- 2001: Managing forests for watershed protection in Taiwan. For. Ecol. Manag., 143, 77–85. , ,
- 1998: Typhoon disturbance and stand-level damage patterns at a subtropical forest in Taiwan. Biotropica, 30, 238–250. , , , , ,
- 1988: Changes in soil nitrogen-mineralization and nitrification along an altitudinal transect in tropical rain forest in Costa Rica. J. Ecol., 776, 466–482. , , ,
- 1999: Nitrogen stable isotopic composition of leaves and soil: tropical versus temperate forests. Biogeochemistry, 46, 45–65. , , et al.
- 1999: The globalization of N deposition: ecosystem consequence in tropical environments. Biogeochemistry, 46, 67–83. , , ,
- 1998: Effects of chronic nitrogen amendment on production of dissolved organic carbon and nitrogen in forest soils. Water Air Soil Pollut., 105, 175–182. , , ,
- 1982: Nitrogen and lignin control of hardwood leaf litter decomposition dynamics. Ecology, 63, 621–626. , ,
- 2001: A new typology for mountains and other relief classes. Mt. Res. Dev., 21, 34–45. , ,
- 1984: Seasonal patterns of ammonium and nitrate uptake in nine temperate forest ecosystems. Plant Soil, 80, 321–335. , ,
- 1999: Nitrogen deposition makes a minor contribution to carbon sequestration in temperate forests. Nature, 398, 145–148. , , et al.
- 2003: Net N mineralization and nitrification rates in a forested ecosystem in northeastern Taiwan. For. Ecol. Manag., 176, 519–530. , , , ,
- 2005: Sources of nitrate in snowmelt discharge: evidence from water chemistry and stable isotopes of nitrate. Water Air Soil Pollut., 165, 13–35. , , ,
- 1982: Nitrification in forested ecosystems. Phil. Trans. Roy. Soc. London, 296, 445–457.
- SAS 2002: Statistical Analysis System for Windows. SAS Institute, Inc., Cary, NC.
- 1990: Soil solution chemistry of an Adirondack Spodosol: lysimetry and N dynamics. Can. J. For. Res., 20, 818–824. , , ,
- 1999: Topographical variations in a plant-soil system along a slope on Mt Ryuoh, Japan. Ecol. Res., 14, 361–369. , , ,
- 1999: Typhoons affecting Taiwan: current understanding and future challenges. Bull. Am. Meteorol. Soc., 80, 67–80. ,