Dynamics of microbial biomass nitrogen in relation to plant nitrogen uptake during the crop growth period in a dry tropical cropland in Tanzania
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 105–114, February 2010
How to Cite
SUGIHARA, S., FUNAKAWA, S., KILASARA, M. and KOSAKI, T. (2010), Dynamics of microbial biomass nitrogen in relation to plant nitrogen uptake during the crop growth period in a dry tropical cropland in Tanzania. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 105–114. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00428.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 11 May 2009. Accepted for publication 27 October 2009.
- 2002: Linkages between soil biota, nitrogen availability, and plant nitrogen uptake in a mountain ecosystem in the Scottish Highlands. Appl. Soil Ecol., 19, 121–134. , , ,
- 2007: Temporal variability in plant and soil nitrogen pools in a high-Arctic ecosystem. Soil Biol. Biochem., 39, 2129–2137. , , , ,
- 1985: Chloroform fumigation and release of soil N: a rapid direct extraction method to measure microbial biomass N in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 17, 837–842. , , ,
- 2002: Seasonal patterns of soil carbon dioxide efflux from a wet-dry tropical savanna of northern Australia. Aust. J. Bot., 50, 43–51. , ,
- 2006: Integrating legumes to improve N cycling on smallholder farms in sub-humid Zimbabwe: resource quality, biophysical and environmental limitations. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosys., 76, 219–231. , , ,
- 2004: Mineral N dynamics, leaching and nitrous oxide losses under maize following two-year improved fallows on a sandy loam soil in Zimbabwe. Plant Soil, 295, 315–330. , , ,
- 2006: The influence of season, agricultural management, and soil properties on gross nitrogen transformations and bacterial community structure. Aust. J. Soil Res., 44, 453–465. , , et al.
- 2003: Influence of drying-rewetting frequency on soil bacterial community structure. Microb. Ecol., 45, 63–71. , ,
- 2001: Nitrogen pools and turnover in arable soils under different durations of organic farming: II: source-and-sink function of the soil microbial biomass or competition with growing plants? J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci., 164, 421–429. , ,
- 2006: Soil organic matter dynamics in a sloped sandy cropland of Northeast Thailand with special reference to the spatial distribution of soil properties. Jpn. J. Trop. Agric., 50 (4), 199–207. , , et al.
- 2003: Seasonal effects on soil organic carbon dynamics in a tropical deciduous forest ecosystem in western Mexico. J. Trop. Ecol., 19, 179–188. , ,
- 1995: Effect of farmyard manure and inorganic fertilizer on the dynamics of soil microbial biomass in a tropical dryland agroecosystem. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 19, 231–238. ,
- 2000: Inorganic nitrogen dynamics in fallows and maize on an Oxisol and Alfisol in the highlands of Kenya. Geoderma, 98, 11–33. , , , , ,
- 2006: Relationships between microbial biomass nitrogen, nitrate leaching and nitrogen uptake by corn in a compost and chemical fertilizer-amended regosol. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 52, 186–194. , , ,
- 2006: Methods for evaluating human impact on soil microorganisms based on their activity, biomass, and diversity in agricultural soils. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci., 169, 295–309. ,
- 2000: Variations in soil microbial biomass and N availability due to residue and tillage management in a dryland rice agroecosystem. Soil Till. Res., 56, 153–166. , ,
- 2004: Carbon stocks, soil respiration and microbial biomass in fine-prone tropical grassland, woodland and forest ecosystems. Soil Biol. Biochem., 36, 1707–1717. , , , ,
- 2006: Effects of organic resource quality on soil profile N dynamics and maize yields on sandy soils in Zimbabwe. Plant Soil, 281, 173–191. ,
- 1996: The problem of pretreatment and unintentional variations in the fumigation-extraction method for time-course measurements in the field. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 22, 167–170. , , ,
- 1996: Nitrogen-Inorganic forms. In Methods of Soil Analysis Ed DLSparks., pp. 1123–1184, Soil Science Society of America, Madison.
- 2004: Soil macrofaunal-mediated organic resource disappearance in semi-arid West Africa. Appl. Soil Ecol., 27, 259–267. , ,
- 2003: Dynamics and plant uptake of nitrogen and phosphorus in soil amended with sewage sludge. Appl. Soil Ecol., 24, 187–195. , ,
- 2001: The role of soil microorganisms in soil organic matter conservation in the tropics. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosys., 61, 41–51. , ,
- 1998: Improving the Berthelot reaction for determining ammonium in soil extracts and water. Soil Sci. Soc. Am., 62(2), 473–480. , , ,
- 2004: Nitrogen dynamics in tropical soils of Mali, West Africa. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 39, 258–268. , , , ,
- 2007a: Synchronizing nitrogen availability through application of organic inputs of varying resource quality in a tropical dryland agroecosystem. Appl. Soil Ecol., 36, 164–175. , ,
- 2007b: Variation in soil microbial biomass and crop roots due to differing resource quality inputs in a tropical dryland agroecosystem. Soil Biol. Biochem., 39, 76–86. , ,
- 1989: Microbial biomass act as a source of plant nutrients in dry tropical forest and savanna. Nature, 338, 499–500. , , ,
- Soil Survey Staff 2006: Keys to Soil Taxonomy, 10th edn. United States Department of Agriculture Natural Resources Conservation Service, Washington.
- 2004: Soil microbial dynamics in maize-growing soil under different tillage and residue management systems. Soil Biol. Biochem., 36, 499–512. , , ,
- 1994: Effect of crop growth and soil treatments on microbial C, N, and P in dry tropical arable land. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 17, 108–114. ,
- 2010: Effect of land management and soil texture on seasonal variations in soil microbial biomass in dry tropical agroecosystems in Tanzania. Appl. Soil Ecol., 44, 80–88. , , ,
- 2007: Cultivation impacts nitrogen transformation in Indian forest ecosystems. Nutr. Cycl. Agroecosys., 77, 233–243. ,
- 1987: An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass carbon. Soil Biol. Biochem., 19, 703–707. , ,
- 1992: A comparative assessment of factors which influence microbial biomass carbon and nitrogen levels in soils. Biol. Rev., 67, 321–358.
- 1998: Controls of temporal variability of the soil microbial biomass: a global-scale synthesis. Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 1627–1637.
- 2004: Ecological linkages between aboveground and belowground biota. Science, 304, 1629–1633. , , , , ,