Relationships between rock fragment cover and soil hydrological response in a Mediterranean environment
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 95–104, February 2010
How to Cite
ZAVALA, L. M., JORDÁN, A., BELLINFANTE, N. and GIL, J. (2010), Relationships between rock fragment cover and soil hydrological response in a Mediterranean environment. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 95–104. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00429.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 11 June 2009. Accepted for publication 29 October 2009.
- 1991: Relation between infiltration and stone cover on a semiarid hillslope, southern Arizona. J. Hydrol., 122, 49–59. ,
- 1994: Hydraulics of interrill overland flow on stone-covered desert surfaces. Catena, 23, 111–140. ,
- 1994: Effect of water salinity on inter-rill erosion and infiltration: laboratory study. Aust. J. Soil Res., 32, 595–601. , ,
- 2004: Surface runoff and soil erosion on unpaved forest roads from rainfall simulation tests in northeastern Spain. Catena, 57, 1–14. , ,
- 1995: Concentrated flow erosion in cultivated catchments: influence of soil surface state. Earth Surf. Proc. Land., 20, 5–14. , ,
- 1986: Bulk density. In Met, 2nd edn., Ed. AKlute., pp. 363–375, American Society of Agronomy, Madison. ,
- 1994: Soil containing rock fragments: effects on infiltration. Catena, 23, 99–110. ,
- 1994: Effects of rock fragment size and cover on overland flow hydraulics, local turbulence and sediment yield on an erodible soil surface. Earth Surf. Proc. Land., 19, 115–135. ,
- 2001: Effects of rock fragment cover on soil infiltration, interrill runoff and erosion. European Journal of Soil Science, 52, 59–68.
- 1990: Physical properties of forest soils containing rock fragments. In Sustained Productivity of Forest Soils Ed. SPGessel, DSLacate, GFWeetman and RFPowers., pp. 95–121, University of British Columbia, Faculty of Forestry, Vancouver. ,
- 1995: Effects of coarse-fragment content and size on soil erosion under simulated rainfall. Can. J. Soil. Sci., 75, 227–232. ,
- 1968. Conservation of Soil Water by Gravel Mulches. Colorado State University Hydrology Paper No 30, Fort Collins. ,
- 2003: Influence of rock fragments on the water retention and water percolation in a calcareous soil. Catena, 53, 97–114. , ,
- 2002: Comparison of erodibility of some hararghe soils using rainfall simulation. Communications in Soil Science and Plant Analysis, 33, 333–348. , ,
- 1995: Rock fragments: II. Their impact on soil physical properties and biomass production under Mediterranean conditions. Soil Use and Management, 11, 121–126. , , ,
- 1998: Effects of rock fragment characteristics on interrill runoff and erosion of a silty loam soil. Soil & Tillage Research, 46, 81–95. ,
- 1995. USDA-Water Erosion Prediction Project: technical Documentation, NSERL Rep, vol. 10. Natl. Soil Erosion Res. Lab, West Lafayette. , (Eds.).
- 1959: Influence of the coarse fraction in two Maine potato soils on infiltration, runoff and erosion. Soil Science Society of America Proceedings, 23, 391–396. ,
- 1994: Hydric properties of some Spanish soils in relation to their rock fragment content: implications for runoff and vegetation. Catena, 23, 73–85. , , ,
- 1980: Evaporación de agua en suelos de distinta textura. Anuario del Centro de Edafología y Biología Aplicada de Salamanca, 6, 255–280. , ,
- International Union of Soil Sciences 2006. World Reference Base for Soil Resources. 2nd edn. World Soil Resources Reports, 103. FAO, Rome.
- 2000: Cartografía de la erosividad de la lluvia estimada a partir de datos pluviométricos mensuales en el Campo de Gibraltar (Cádiz). Edafología, 7-3, 83–92. ,
- 1976: Heat and water movement under surface rocks in a field soil, II. Moisture effects. Soil Science Society of America Journal, 40, 509–513. ,
- 2003: Runoff generation from succesive simulated rainfalls on a rocky, semi-arid, Mediterranean hillslope. Hydrol. Process., 17, 279–296. , , , , ,
- 1997: Effectiveness of road ripping in restoring infiltration capacity of forest roads. Restoration Ecology, 5, 265–270.
- 2005: Soil infiltration runoff and sediment yield from a shallow soil with varied stone cover and intensity of rain. European Journal of Soil Science, 56, 435–443. , , et al.
- Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentación, 1982. Métodos oficiales de análisis de suelos. Ministerio de Agricultura, Pesca y Alimentación, Madrid.
- 2008: Effect of rock fragment cover in interrill soil erosion from bare soils in Western Andalusia, Spain. Soil Use and Management, 24, 108–117. ,
- 1994. Rainfall simulators for soil erosion research. In Soil Erosion Research Methods, 2nd edn., Ed. RLal., pp. 75–95, Soil and Water Conservation Society (Ankeny) and St Lucie Press, Delray Beach.
- 1990: Design and operation of a rainfall simulator for field studies on runoff and soil erosion. Soil Technology, 3, 385–397. , , ,
- 1991: Influence des états de surface du territoire agricole sur le déclenchement des inondations catastrophiques. Agronomie, 11, 201–215. ,
- 1996: Runoff and erosion on semi-arid hillslopes. In Advances in Hillslope Processes Ed. MGAnderson., pp. 1061–1078, Wiley, Chichester. , ,
- 1998: Conservation of soil moisture by different stone covers on alpine talus slopes (Lassen, California). Catena, 33, 155–177.
- 1996: The effects of rock fragments on desertification processes in Mediterranean environments. In Mediterranean Desertification and Land Use Ed. CJBrandt and JBThornes., pp. 247–269, John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. ,
- 1990: The hydrological response of soil surfaces to rainfall as affected by cover and position of rock fragments in the top layer. Earth Surf. Proc. Land., 15, 653–671. , ,
- 1994: Rock fragments in top soils: significance and processes. Catena, 23, 1–28. ,
- 1994: Effects of rock fragments on soil erosion by water at different spatial scales: a review. Catena, 23, 141–166. , ,
- 1998: Variation of rock fragment cover and size along semiarid hillslopes: a case-study from southeast Spain. Geomorphology, 23, 323–335. , , ,
- 1941: A pressure-membrane extraction apparatus for soil solution. Soil Sci., 51(5), 377–386.
- 2005: Influence of simulated rainfall on physical properties of a conventionally tilled loess soil. Catena, 64, 209–221. , , et al.
- 1994: Surface sealing as affected by various rock fragment covers in West Africa. Catena, 23, 87–97.
- 1996: Infiltration, runoff and erosion characteristics of agricultural land in extreme storm events, SE France. Catena, 26, 27–47.
- 1934: An examination of the Degtjareff method for determining soil O.M. and a proposed modification of the chromic acid titration method. Soil Sci., 37, 29–38. ,
- 1996: Evaporation from cultivated soils containing rock fragments. J. Hydrol., 182, 65–82. , , , ,
- 1978: Predicting rainfall erosion losses. A guide to conservation planning. USDA Agricultural Handbook 537, Washington. ,