Aluminum tolerance associated with enhancement of plasma membrane H+-ATPase in the root apex of soybean
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 140–149, February 2010
How to Cite
KIM, Y.-S., PARK, W., NIAN, H., SASAKI, T., EZAKI, B., JANG, Y.-S., CHUNG, G.-C., BAE, H.-J. and AHN, S.-J. (2010), Aluminum tolerance associated with enhancement of plasma membrane H+-ATPase in the root apex of soybean. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 140–149. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00437.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 30 May 2009. Accepted for publication 16 November 2009.
- 2006: The role of the plasma membrane in the response of plant roots to aluminum toxicity. Plant Signal Behav., 1, 37–45. ,
- 2004: Aluminum-induced plasma membrane surface potential and H+-ATPase activity in near-isogenic wheat lines differing in tolerance to aluminum. New Phytol., 162, 71–79. , ,
- 2002: Aluminium-induced growth inhibition is associated with impaired efflux and influx of H+ across the plasma membrane in root apices of squash (Cucurbita pepo). J. Exp. Bot., 53, 1959–1966. , , , ,
- 2001: Aluminum inhibits the H+-ATPase activity by permanently altering the plasma membrane surface potentials in squash roots. Plant Physiol., 126, 1381–1390. , , , ,
- 1989: Adosrption of Al3+ to phosphatidylcholine vesicles. Biochim. Biophys. Acta., 986, 33–40. , ,
- 1998: Alteration in the cytoskeleton accompany aluminum-induced growth inhibition and morphological changes in primary roots of maize. Plant Physiol., 118, 159–172. , ,
- 1976: A rapid and sensitive method for the quantitation of microgram quantities of protein utilizing the principle of protein-dye binding. Anal. Biochem., 72, 248–254.
- 1990: Aluminum tolerance in soybean. I. Genotypic correlation and repeatability of solution culture and greenhouse screening methods. Crop Sci., 30, 1049–1054. ,
- 2000: Diverse response of root cell structure to aluminium stress. Plant Soil, 226, 113–116.
- 1965: The effect of aluminium and some other trivalent metal cations on cell division in the root of Allium cepa. Ann. Bot., 29, 309–315.
- 2004: Aluminium toxicity, Al tolerance and oxidative stress in an Al-sensitive wheat genotype and in Al-tolerant lines developed by in vitro microspore selection. Plant Sci., 166, 583–591. , , , , ,
- 1993: Aluminum tolerance in wheat (Triticum aestivum L.). II. Aluminum-stimulated excretion of malic acid from root apices. Plant Physiol., 103, 695–702. , ,
- 2005: Root cell patterning: a primary target for aluminium toxicity in maize. J. Exp. Bot., 56, 1213–1220. , , ,
- 1988: Plant adaptation to acid, aluminum-toxic soils. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 119, 959–987.
- 1995: The role of the apoplast in aluminum toxicity and resistance of higher plants: a review. Z. Pflanzenernhr und Bodenkd, 158, 419–428.
- 1992: Short-term responses of soybean roots to aluminium. Plant Physiol., 140, 174–178. , , , ,
- 1997: Induction of callose formation is a sensitive marker for genotypic aluminium sensitivity in maize. Plant Soil, 192, 23–30. , ,
- 2001: Activation of plasma membrane H+-ATPase by ammonium ions in Aspergillus niger. Appl. Microbiol. Biotechnol., 57, 368–373. ,
- 2006: Spatial coordination of aluminium uptake, production of reactive oxygen species, callose production, and wall rigidification in maize roots. Plant Cell Environ., 29, 1309–1318. , , ,
- 1988: Proton extrusion by wheat roots exhibiting severe aluminum toxicity symptoms. Plant Physiol., 88, 418–423.
- 1975: Localization of the mechanism of growth inhibiting action of Al3+ in elongation cell walls. Fiziologija Rastenij, 22, 1040–1046. ,
- 1995: Cellular mechanisms of aluminum toxicity and resistance in plants. Annu. Rev. Plant Physiol. Plant Mol. Biol., 46, 237–260.
- 1970: Cleavage of structural proteins during the assembly of the head of bacteriophage T4. Nature, 227, 680–685.
- 1994: Aluminum accumulation and associated effects on 15NO3− influx in roots of two soybean genotypes differing in Al tolerance. Plant Soil, 164, 291–297. , , , ,
- 1994: Aluminium tolerance of maize cultivars as assessed by callose production and root elongation. Z Pflanzenernähr und Bodenkd, 157, 447–451. , , , , ,
- 1997: Detoxifying aluminum with buckwheat. Nature, 390, 569–570. , , ,
- 2000: Cell biology of Al tolerance and toxicity in higher plants. Int. Rev. Cytol., 200, 1–46.
- 1989: Mechanism of aluminium tolerance in wheat. Al investigation of genotype differences in rhizosphere pH, K+, and H+ transport, and root-cell membrane potentials. Plant Physiol., 91, 1188–1196. , , ,
- 1993: The effects of aluminum on the influx of calcium, potassium, ammonium, nitrate, and phosphate in an aluminium-sensitive cultivar of barley (Hordeum vulgare L.). Plant Physiol., 101, 1263–1266. , , ,
- 1996: NaCl-induced alterations in both cell structure and tissue-specific plasma membrane H+-ATPase gene expression. Plant Physiol., 111, 679–686. , , , ,
- 1993: NaCl regulation of plasma membrane H+-ATPase gene expression in a glycophyte and a halophyte. Plant Physiol., 103, 713–718. , , , ,
- 1995: Membrane potential depolarization of root cap cells precedes aluminum tolerance in snapbean. Plant Physiol., 109, 123–129. , ,
- 1990: Sealed inside-out and rightside-out plasma membrane vesicles: optimal conditions for formation and separation. Plant Physiol., 92, 871–880. , , , , ,
- 1999: Phytotoxic effect of aluminium on maize root membranes. Biologia, 54, 473–479. ,
- 2002: The physiology and biophysics of an aluminum tolerance mechanism based on root citrate exudation in maize. Plant Physiol., 129, 1194–1206. , , ,
- 1978: Visual detection of aluminum tolerance levels in wheat by hematoxylin staining of seedling roots. Crop Sci., 18, 823–827. , ,
- 2003: Symbiotic status, phosphate, and sucrose regulate the expression of two plasma membrane H+-ATPase genes from the mycorrhizal fungus. Plant Physiol., 132, 1540–1549. , , ,
- 1995: Characterization of Al-stimulated efflux of malate from the apices of Al-tolerant wheat roots. Planta, 196, 103–110. , ,
- 1993: Aluminum toxicity in roots: an investigation of spatial sensitivity and the role of the root cap. J. Exp. Bot., 44, 437–446. , ,
- 1978: Aluminum tolerance of soybean cultivars based on root elongation in solution culture compared with growth in acid soil. Agron. J., 70, 17–20. ,
- 2005: Citrate secretion coupled with the modulation of soybean root apex under aluminum stress: up-regulation of transcription, translation, and threonine-oriented phosphorylation of plasma membrane H+-ATPase. Plant Physiol., 138, 287–296. , , et al.
- 1999: Impact of aluminum on the cytoskeleton of the maize root apex. Short-term effects on the distal part of the transition zone. Plant Physiol., 119, 1073–1082. , , , ,
- 1998: The distal part of the transition zones is the most aluminum- sensitive apical root zone of maize. Plant Physiol., 116, 155–163. ,
- 2003: Aluminum rapidly depolymerizes cortical microtubules and depolarizes the plasma membrane: evidence that these responses are mediated by a glutamate receptor. Plant Cell Physiol., 44, 667–675. , , ,
- 1995: Overcoming barriers to understanding the cellular basis of aluminum resistance. Plant Soil, 171, 89–103.
- 2009: Plasma membrane H+-ATPase-dependent citrate exudation from cluster roots of phosphate -deficient white lupin. Plant Cell Environ., 32, 465–475. , , et al.
- 1995: Global extent, development and economic impact of acid soils. Plant Soil, 171, 1–15. ,
- 1999: Change in apoplastic aluminum during the initial growth response to aluminum by roots of tolerant maize variety. Plant Physiol., 119, 435–444. , , ,
- WidellS, LarssonC, ed. 1990: A Critical Evaluation of Markers Used in Plasma Membrane. Springer Verlag, Berlin, pp. 17–43.
- 2002: Adaptation of H+-pumping and plasma membrane H+-ATPase activity in proteoid roots of white lupin under phosphate deficiency. Plant Physiol., 129, 50–63. , , , ,
- 2000: Characterization of aluminum-induced citrate secretion in aluminum tolerant soybean (Glycine max L.) plants. Physiol. Plant., 113, 64–71. , , , ,
- 2007: Magnesium enhances aluminum -induced citrate secretion in rice bean roots (Vigna umbellata) by restoring plasma membrane H+-ATPase activity. Plant Cell Physiol., 48, 66–73. , , , ,
- 2005: A link between citrate and proton release by proteoid roots of white lupin (Lupinus albus L.) grown under phosphorus-deficient conditions? Plant Cell Physiol., 46, 892–901. , , ,