Microbial biomass and nitrogen transformations in surface soils strongly acidified by volcanic hydrogen sulfide deposition in Osorezan, Japan
Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 123–132, February 2010
How to Cite
WATANABE, M., YAMAMURA, S., TAKAMATSU, T., KOSHIKAWA, M. K., HAYASHI, S., MURATA, T., SAITO, S. S., INUBUSHI, K. and SAKAMOTO, K. (2010), Microbial biomass and nitrogen transformations in surface soils strongly acidified by volcanic hydrogen sulfide deposition in Osorezan, Japan. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 123–132. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00438.x
- Issue online: 1 MAR 2010
- Version of Record online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 1 June 2009. Accepted for publication 2 December 2009.
- 1993: Colorimetric determination of ammonium. In Tropical soil biology and fertility: a handbook of methods., Ed. JMAnderson and JSIIngram., pp. 42–43, CAB International, Wallingford. ,
- 1997: Relationship between SIR and FE estimates of microbial biomass C in deciduous forest soils at different pH. Soil Biol. Biochem., 29, 1033–1042. ,
- 2004: Calcium accumulation alleviates soil acidification in Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) stands. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 50, 403–411. , , ,
- 1996: The significance of microbial biomass sulphur in soil. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 22, 116–125. ,
- 1998: Effects of tree species, stand age and soil type on soil microbial biomass and its activity in a southern boreal forest. Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 1077–1089. , ,
- 1995: Microbial biomass nitrogen pool in soils from a warm temperate grassland, and from deciduous and evergreen forests in Chiba, central Japan. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 19, 124–128. , , ,
- 2001: Influence of tree species and ground vegetation on nitrification in an acid forest soil. Plant Soil, 229, 97–104. , ,
- 1985: Chloroform fumigation and the release of soil nitrogen: a rapid direct extraction method to measure microbial biomass nitrogen in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 17, 837–842. , , ,
- 1993: Alkaline persulfate oxidation for determining total nitrogen in microbial biomass extracts. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 57, 1007–1012. ,
- 2000: Effects of soil microbial flora on nitrogen mineralization in forest soil. For. Resour. Environ., 38, 97–106. (in Japanese with English summary) , , ,
- 1999: Correlation among microbial biomass S, soil properties, and other biomass nutrients. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 45, 175–186. , ,
- 2007: C:N:P stoichiometry in soil: Is there a “Redfield ratio” for the microbial biomass? Biogeochemistry, 85, 235–252. ,
- 2001: Nitrification in acid soils: micro-organisms and mechanisms. Soil Biol. Biochem., 33, 853–866. ,
- 2006: Seasonal dynamics in soil microbial biomass C, N and P in a mixed-oak forest ecosystem of Manipur, North-east India. Appl. Soil Ecol., 32, 220–227. ,
- 1992: The bioenergetics of ammonia and hydroxylamine oxidation in Nitrosomonas europaea at acid and alkaline pH. Arch. Microbiol., 157, 194–199. , , , ,
- 2005: Effect of dwarf bamboo (Sasa nipponica) and deer (Cervus nippon centralis) on the chemical properties of soil and microbial biomass in a forest at Ohdaigahara, central Japan. Bulletin of FFPRI, 4, 157–165. , , ,
- 1997: Relationship between the amount of microbial biomass and the physicochemical properties of soil – comparison between volcanic and non-volcanic ash soils. Jpn J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 68, 614–621. (in Japanese with English summary) , , ,
- 1997: A rapid method for determination of nitrate in soil by hydrazine reduction procedure. Jpn J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 68, 322–326. (in Japanese) , ,
- 2008: Various players in the nitrogen cycle: diversity and functions of the microorganisms involved in nitrification and denitrification. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 54, 33–45. , ,
- 2006: Characteristics of nitrogen mineralization in the soil of Japanese cedar (Cryptomeria japonica) and their responses to environmental changes and forest management. J. Jpn. For. Soc., 88, 302–311. (in Japanese with English summary) , , ,
- 2003: Mechanism of acid adaptation of a fish living in a pH 3.5 lake. Am. J. Physiol. Regul. Integr. Comp. Physiol., 284, R1199–R1212. , , et al.
- 1998: Spatial variability of soil nitrogen transformation patterns along a forest slope in a Cryptomeria japonica D. Don plantation. Eur. J. Soil Biol., 34, 123–131. , ,
- 2006: Concentrations of Ag, In, Sn, Sb and Bi, and their chemical fractionation in typical soils in Japan. Eur. J. Soil Sci., 57, 214–227. , , ,
- Japan Meteorological Agency 2005: Definition of the active volcano. In National catalogue of the active volcanoes in Japan, 3rd edn., Ed. Japan Meteorological Agency, p. 7, Japan Meteorological Business Support Center, Tokyo. (in Japanese)
- Japan Meteorological Agency 2009: Climate Statistics http://www.data.jma.go.jp/obd/stats/data/en/index.html (November 2009).
- 1996: The fumigation–extraction method to estimate soil microbial biomass: calibration of the kEC value. Soil Biol. Biochem., 28, 25–31.
- 1996: The fumigation–extraction method to estimate soil microbial biomass: calibration of the kEN value. Soil Biol. Biochem., 28, 33–37. ,
- 1967: Automated analysis for nitrate by hydrazine reduction. Water Res., 1, 205–216. , ,
- 2001: Tephrostratigraphy and eruptive history during the last 450,000 years at Osore-zan volcano, Shimokita peninsula, northeast Japan. Kazan, 46, 37–52. (in Japanese with English summary) ,
- 2006: Archaea predominate among ammonia-oxidizing prokaryotes in soils. Nature, 7104, 806–809. , , et al.
- 2006: Microbial responses to organic and inorganic amendments in eroded soil. Land Degrad. Develop., 17, 321–332. , ,
- 2009: Analysis of ammonia monooxygenase and archaeal 16S rRNA gene fragments in nitrifying acid-sulfate soil microcosms. Microbes Environ., 24, 168–174. , , et al.
- 2003a: Influences of forest decline on various properties of soils on Mt. Hirugatake, Tanzawa mountains, Kanto district, Japan: II. changes in some physical and chemical properties of surface soils. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 49, 171–177. , , ,
- 2003b: Influences of forest decline on various properties of soils on Mt. Hirugatake, Tanzawa mountains, Kanto district, Japan: III. changes in microbial biomass and enzyme activities of surface soils. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 49, 179–184. , ,
- 2000: Microbial biomass and enzyme activity of soils in an urban area. Tsuchi To Biseibutsu, 54, 159–164. , ,
- 2002a: Nitrogen and carbon mineralization characteristics of different decomposition stages in forest floor of some tree species. Jpn J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 73, 363–372. (in Japanese with English summary) , , ,
- 2002b: Characteristics of carbon and nitrogen mineralization of forest soils in different slopes and vegetation. J. Jpn. For. Soc., 84, 111–119. (in Japanese with English summary) , , ,
- 1998: Inhibition of nitrification in forest soil by monoterpenes. Plant Soil, 205, 147–154. , ,
- 1998: Structure of a microbial community in soil after prolonged addition of low levels of simulated acid rain. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 64, 2173–2180. , , , , ,
- 2008: Relative contributions of archaea and bacteria to aerobic ammonia oxidation in the environment. Environ. Microbiol., 10, 2931–2941. ,
- 2005: Influence of soil acidity on depth gradients of microbial biomass in beech forest soils. Eur. J. For. Res., 124, 87–93. ,
- 1977: Microtechnique for most-probable-number analysis. Appl. Environ. Microbiol., 33, 675–680. , ,
- 1981: Measurement of microbial sulfur in soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 13, 493–498. , ,
- 1994: Distribution and cycling of sulfur in deciduous and coniferous forest ecosystems as influenced by acid deposition I : distribution of biomass and sulfur. Jpn J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 65, 677–683. (in Japanese with English summary) , , ,
- 1995: Natural acidification of lakes and rivers in Japan: the ecosystem of Lake Usoriko (pH 3.4–3.8). Water Air Soil Pollut., 85, 511–516. , ,
- 1995: Relationship between the size of microbial biomass carbon and the amounts of mineral ions in arable and forest soils. Tsuchi To Biseibutsu, 46, 51–59. (in Japanese with English summary) ,
- 2000: Effect of soil agitation, temperature or moisture on microbial biomass carbon of a forest and an arable soil. Microbes Environ., 15, 23–30. (in Japanese with English summary) , ,
- 1984: The Berthelot or indophenol reaction and its use in the analytical-chemistry of nitrogen: a review. Analyst., 109, 549–568.
- 2001: Chemical characteristics and acid buffering capacity of surface soils in Japanese forests. Water Air Soil Pollut., 130, 727–732. , ,
- 1992: Effects of volcanic acid deposition on soil chemistry: I. status of exchangeable cations and sulfur. Soil Sci., 154, 435–449. , ,
- 1997: Role of the dwarf bamboo (Sasa) community in retaining basic cations in soil and preventing soil acidification in mountainous areas of Japan. Plant Soil, 192, 167–179. , , , , ,
- 2003: Methane flux and regulatory variables in soils of three equal-aged Japanese cypress (Chamaecyparis obtusa) forests in central Japan. Soil Biol. Biochem., 35, 633–641. , , ,
- 2003: Vertical distributions and accumulations of sulfate in Andisols and Inceptisols – adsorbed and soluble sulfate fractions. Jpn J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 74, 149–155. (in Japanese with English summary) , , , ,
- 1996: Impact of simulated acid rain on microbial respiration, biomass, and metabolic quotient in a mature sugar maple (Acer saccharum) forest floor. Can. J. For. Res., 26, 1446–1453. ,
- 2000: Topographical differences in soil n transformation using 15N dilution method along a slope in a conifer plantation forest in Japan. J. For. Res., 5, 13–19. , ,
- 2006: The effects of understorey dwarf bamboo (Sasa kurilensis) removal on soil fertility in a Betula ermanii forest of northern Japan. Ecol. Res., 21, 315–320. , , et al.
- 2005: Growth and substrate quality of fine root and soil nitrogen availability in a young Betula ermanii forest of northern Japan: effects of the removal of understory dwarf bamboo (Sasa kurilensis). For. Ecol. Manage., 212, 278–290. , , , , ,
- 1977: Difference of the vegetation of solfataras according to their position on the vegetation zone. Jpn. J. Ecol., 27, 319–322. (in Japanese)
- 1991: An ecosystem approach to soil acidification. In Soil acidity., Ed. BUlrich and MESumner, pp. 28–79, Springer-Verlag, Berlin.
- 1987: An extraction method for measuring soil microbial biomass-C. Soil Biol. Biochem., 19, 703–707. , ,
- 1990: Measurement of soil microbial biomass C by fumigation extraction - an automated procedure. Soil Biol. Biochem., 22, 1167–1169. , , , ,
- 1994: Fumigation–extraction method for the measurement of soil microbial biomass-S. Soil Biol. Biochem., 26, 117–125. , , ,
- 1991: Soil pH and vegetation of solfatara near the Tohsichi hot spring, Iwate prefecture. Jpn J. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 62, 434. (in Japanese) ,
- 2007: Carbon and nitrogen limitation to microbial respiration and biomass in an acidic solfatara field. Eur. J. Soil Biol., 43, 1–13. , , , ,