Remediation techniques and heavy metal uptake by different rice varieties in metal-contaminated soils of Taiwan: New aspects for food safety regulation and sustainable agriculture
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 31–52, February 2010
How to Cite
HSEU, Z.-Y., SU, S.-W., LAI, H.-Y., GUO, H.-Y., CHEN, T.-C. and CHEN, Z.-S. (2010), Remediation techniques and heavy metal uptake by different rice varieties in metal-contaminated soils of Taiwan: New aspects for food safety regulation and sustainable agriculture. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 31–52. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2009.00442.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 30 July 2009. Accepted for publication 24 November 2009.
- 2001: Trace Elements in Terrestrial Environments: Biogeochemistry, Bioavailability and Risks of Metals, 2nd edn. 867 pp., Springer, New York, USA.
- 2007: A chronosequence of soils and vegetation on serpentine terraces in the Klamath Mountains, USA. Soil Sci., 172, 565–576. , ,
- 1995: Heavy Metals in Soils, 2nd edn. 368 pp., Blackie and Son Ltd., London, UK.
- 2003: Genotypic variations in cadmium levels of rice grain. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 287, 223–233. ,
- 2005: Trace element chemistry in residual-treated soils: key concepts and metal bioavailability. J. Environ. Qual., 34, 49–63. , ,
- 2006: Sources of trace metals in Ferralsols in New Caledonia. Eur. J. Soil Sci., 57, 200–213. , , , , ,
- 1997: Enhanced accumulation of Pb in Indian mustard by soil applied chelating agents. Environ. Sci. Technol., 31, 860–865. , , et al.
- 1997: Pedogenesis in a soil catena on serpentinite in north-western Italy. Geoderma, 75, 33–51. , , ,
- 2009: Predictions of spatially averaged cadmium contents in rice grains in the Fuyang Valley, P.R. China. J. Environ. Qual., 38, 1126–1136. , , et al.
- 1994: Pedogenic and geochemical processes of ultramafic soils along a climatic gradient in southwestern British Columbia. Can. J. Soil. Sci., 74, 165–177. ,
- 2001: Soil properties of selected pedons on ultramafic rocks in Klamath Mountains, Oregon. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 32, 2145–2175. , , , , ,
- 1980: Health risks associated with toxic metal in municipal sludge. In Sludge-Health Risks of Land Application. Ed. GBitton et al. , pp. 59–83, G. Ann Arbor Science Publ., Ann Arbor, MI, USA.
- 2009: Characteristics and disposal of sediment in irrigation and drainage canals. In Proceedings of 13th Symposium on Soil and Groundwater Pollution Remediation, Ed. ZSChen. 26 June 2009, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 81–98.
- 1991: Cadmium and lead contamination of soils near plastic stabilizing materials producing plants in northern Taiwan. Water Air Soil Pollut., 57–58, 745–754.
- 1992: Metal contamination of flooded soils, rice plants, and surface waters in Asia. In Biogeochemistry of Trace Metals, Ed. DCAdriano., pp. 85–107, Lewis Publishers Inc., Florida, USA.
- 1997: Evaluation of remediation techniques on two cadmium-polluted soils in Taiwan. In Remediation of Soils Contaminated with Metals, Ed. IKIskandar and DCAdriano., pp. 209–223, Science Reviews, Northwood, UK. ,
- 2000: The effects of chemical remediation treatments on the extractability and speciation of cadmium and lead in contaminated soils. Chemosphere, 41, 235–242. , ,
- 1998: Background level of heavy metals in soils of Taiwan. Final project report of Taiwan Environmental Protection Administration (Taiwan EPA). Project number is EPA-87-H104-03-03. Volume 1: 130p, Volume 2: 462p, Volume 3: 420p. , ,
- 2004: Leaching and uptake of heavy metals by ten different species of plants during an EDTA-assisted phytoextraction process. Chemosphere, 57, 187–196. , ,
- 2007: New Aspects of Collaborative Research on Soil Pollution, Food Safety and Soil Remediation Techniques in Asia. Technical Bulletin No. 175. pp. 1–35, Food and Fertilizer Technology Center (FFTC), Taipei, Taiwan. , , , ,
- 2002: In-situ immobilization of cadmium and lead by different amendments in two contaminated soils. Water Air Soil Pollut., 140, 73–84. ,
- 2009: Geochemical element differentiation in serpentine soils from the ophiolite complexes, eastern Taiwan. Soil Sci., 174, 283–291. , , , , ,
- 1995: Effect of Zn on the concentration of Cd and Zn in plant tissue of two Durum wheat lines. Can. J. Plant Sci., 75, 445–448. , , ,
- 1981: Adsorption of cadmium on soil constituents in the presence of complexing ligands. J. Environ. Qual., 10, 225–228. ,
- CODEX 2008: CODEX general standard for contaminants and toxins in foods. CODEX STAN 193–1995. Latest revised in 2008.
- 1989: In situ Immobilization of Heavy-Metal-Contaminated Soils. 153 p., Noyes Data Corporation, Park Ridge, New Jersey, USA. , , ,
- 2008: Podzolization over ophiolitic materials in the western Alps (National Park of Mont Avic, Aosta Valley, Italy). Geoderma, 146, 129–137. , , ,
- 1978: Surface ionization and complexation at the oxide/water interface. II. Surface properties of amorphous iron oxhydroxide and adsorption of metal ions. J. Colloid Interface Sci., 67, 90–107. ,
- 2008: Metal-contaminated soils: remediation practices and treatment technologies. Pract. Periodical Hazard. Toxic Radios. Waste Manage., 12, 188–209. , , ,
- 2006: A phytogeochemical study of the Trás-os-Montes region (NE Portugal): possible species for plant-based soil remediation technologies. Sci. Total Environ., 354, 265–277. , ,
- 1999: Plant heavy metal concentrations and soil biological properties in agricultural serpentine soils. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 30, 1867–1884. , ,
- 2006: Solid speciation and availability of chromium in ultramafic soils from Niquelândia, Brazil. J. Geochem. Explor., 88, 206–209. , , ,
- 2005: Arsenic accumulation of common plants from contaminated soils. Plant Soil, 272, 337–347. , ,
- 2006: Influence of Cd toxicity on rice genotypes as affected by Zn, sulfur and nitrogen fertilizers. Caspian J. Env. Sci., 4, 1–8. , , ,
- 2006: Genotypic variation in grain cadmium concentration of lowland rice. J. Plant Nutr. Soil Sci., 169, 711–716. , , , ,
- 2006: Concentration and distribution of chromium and nickel fractions along a serpentinitic toposequence. Soil Sci., 171, 341–353.
- 2007a: Pedological characteristics and heavy metals contamination of the paddy soils in Taiwan. J. Integr. Field Sci., 4, 41–64. , ,
- 2007b: Weathering sequences of clay minerals in soils along a serpentinitic toposequence. Clays Clay Miner., 55, 389–401. , , ,
- 2007: Effects of chelators on chromium and nickel uptake by Brassica juncea on serpentine-mine tailings for phytoextraction. J. Hazard. Mater., 148, 366–376. , ,
- 2009: Practical phytoextraction in cadmium-polluted paddy fields using a high cadmium accumulating rice plant cultured by early drainage of irrigation water. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 55, 421–427. , ,
- 2003: Soil Cd availability to Indian mustard and environmental risk following EDTA addition to Cd-contaminated soil. Chemosphere, 50, 813–818. , , , , ,
- 1993: Behavior properties of trace metals in soils. Appl. Geochem., 2, 3–9.
- 2007: Effect of mineralogy and pedoclimatic variations on Ni and Cr distribution in serpentine soils under temperate climate. Geoderma, 142, 165–177. , , ,
- 2004: Paddy Soil Science. 280 p., Kyoto Univ. Press, Kyoto, Japan.
- 2004: Effects of EDTA on solubility of cadmium, zinc, and lead and their uptake by rainbow pink and vetiver grass. Chemosphere, 55, 421–430. ,
- 2005: The EDTA effect on phytoextraction of single and combined metals-contaminated soils using rainbow pink (Dianthus chinensis). Chemosphere, 60, 1062–1071. ,
- 2006: The influence of 2Na-EDTA application on the interactions of cadmium, zinc, and lead and their uptake of rainbow pink (Dianthus chinensis). J. Hazard. Mater., 137, 1710–1718. ,
- 2009: A large area experiment to study the uptake of metals by twelve plants growing in combined metals-contaminated soils. Int. J. Phytorem., 11, 235–250. , ,
- 2004: Pedogenesis in a wetland meadow and surrounding serpentinitic landslide terrain, northern California, USA. Geoderma, 118, 303–320. , , ,
- 1999: The influence of organic fertilizer application on arsenic mobility in soil and arsenic content of rice plant. In Proceedings of 6th Workshop on Soil Pollution and Prevention: Soil Remediation Techniques on Soil Contaminated by Organic Pollutants. National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 331–348. , ,
- 2000: Differences of cadmium uptake by rice genotypes and relationship between the iron oxide plaque and cadmium uptake. Acta Scientiae Circumstantiae., 20, 592–596. (In Chinese with English Abstract) , , ,
- 2003: Interaction of Cd and five mineral nutrients for uptake and accumulation in different rice cultivars and genotypes. Field Crops Res., 83, 271–281. , , et al.
- 2007b: Uptake and translocation of Cd in different rice cultivars and the relation with Cd accumulation in rice grain. J. Hazar. Mater., 143, 443–447. , , , ,
- 2007a: Variations between rice cultivars in root secretion of organic acids and the relationship with plant cadmium uptake. Environ. Geochem. Health, 29, 189–195. , , , ,
- 1998: Survey and analysis of trace elements in soils and rice of Central Taiwan (final report of project in 1994–1996). In Report of Soil and Fertilizer Experimental Series in 1998. Council of Agriculture, Executive Yuan, Taiwan, pp. 328–397. , , et al.
- 2006: Variations among rice cultivars on root oxidation and Cd uptake. J. Environ. Sci. (China), 18, 120–124. , , , ,
- 2008: Risk assessment: heavy metals-contaminated soil before and after treatment with an attenuation method. In Proceedings of 2008 International Symposium of Soil Heavy Metal Pollution and Remediation. Ed. ZYHseu, HRChao, and TCChen. 10 April 2008, Pingtung, Taiwan, pp. 65–75. , ,
- 2006: Nickel bearing phases and availability in natural and anthropogenic soils. Geoderma, 136, 28–37. , , , , ,
- 2008: Tectonic inclusions in serpentinite landscapes contribute plant nutrient calcium. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 72, 838–847. , ,
- 2000: Review: a bioavailability-based rationale for controlling metal and metalloid contamination of agricultural land in Australia and New Zealand. Aust. J. Soil Res., 38, 1037–1086. , , , ,
- 2004: Enhanced phytoextraction: in search of EDTA alternatives. Int. J. Phytorem., 6, 95–109. , , , , ,
- 2005: Availability of heavy metals for uptake by Salix viminalis on a moderately contaminated dredged sediment disposal site. Environ. Pollut., 137, 354–364. , , , , ,
- 2008: Speciation and localization of arsenic in white and brown rice grains. Environ. Sci. Technol., 42, 1051–1057. , , et al.
- 1994: A mimicked in-situ remediation study of metal-contaminated soils with emphasis on cadmium and lead. J. Environ. Qual., 23, 58–63. , , , ,
- MHPRC (Ministry of Health of the People’s Republic of China) 2005: Hygienic standard for grains GB2715-2003. Available from URL: http://www.moh.gov.cn/publicfiles//business/htmlfiles/zwgkzt/psp/index.htm [cited 9 June 2009].
- 1987: Varietal differences in cadmium levels of rice grains of japonica, indica, javanica, and hybrid varieties produced in the same plot of a field. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 33, 629–637. , , ,
- 2002: Changes in the cadmium content of rice during the milling process. J. Food Hyg. Soc. Japan., 44, 145–149. (In Japanese with English Abstract) , , , , ,
- 2007: Characteristics and genesis of two strongly weathered soils in Samar, Philippines. Aust. J. Soil Res., 45, 153–163. , , ,
- 1991: Sequential fractionation of chromium and nickel from some serpentinite-derived soils from the eastern Transvaal. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 22, 1963–1973. ,
- 1991: Reactions of metal chelates in soils and nutrient solutions. In Micronutrients in Agriculture (SSSA book series No. 4), Ed. JJMortvedt, FRCox, LMShuman, and RMWelch., pp. 187–227, Soil Science Society of America, Madison, WI, USA.
- 2004a: Chromium geochemistry of serpentine soils. Intern. Geol. Rev., 46, 97–126. , , ,
- 2004b: Chromium geochemistry in serpentinized ultramafic rocks and serpentine soils from the Franciscan complex of California. Am. J. Sci., 304, 67–101. , , ,
- 2008: Growing up green on serpentine soils: biogeochemistry of serpentine vegetation in the Central Coast Range of California. Appl. Geochem., 23, 3391–3403. , , ,
- 2007: Monitoring metals in terrestrial environments within a bioavailability framework and a focus on soil extraction. Ecotoxicol. Environ. Saf., 67, 163–179. , ,
- 1998: Use of soil amendments to reduce nitrogen, phosphorus and heavy metal availability. J. Soil Contam., 7, 191–212.
- 1982: Genesis of Maryland soils formed from serpentinite. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 46, 607–616. , ,
- 1994: The use of synthetic zeolites to reduce plant metal uptake and pytotoxicity in two polluted Soils. In Biogeochemistry of Trace Elements. Ed. DCAdriano, ZSChen, and SSYang., pp. 81–87, Science and Technology Letters, Northwood, UK. ,
- 2007: The ultramafic flora of the Santa Elena peninsula, Costa Rica: a biogeochemical reconnaissance. J. Geochem. Explor., 93, 153–159. , ,
- 1999: Soil amendments affecting nickel and cobalt uptake by Berkheya coddii: potential use for phytomining and phytoremediation. Ann. Bota., 84, 689–694. , ,
- 2009a: Characterization of soil heavy metal pools in paddy fields in Taiwan: chemical extraction and solid-solution partitioning. J. Soils Sediments, 9, 216–228. , , , , ,
- 2009b: Prediction of cadmium uptake by brown rice and derivation of soil-plant transfer models to improve soil protection guidelines. Environ. Pollut., 157, 2435–2444. , , , , ,
- 2009: Sustainable solid waste management: an integrated approach for Asian countries. Waste Manage., 29, 1438–1448.
- 1999: Organic waste amendments effect on zinc fractions of two soils. J. Environ. Qual., 28, 1442–1447.
- 2008: Analysis of field-moist Cd contaminated paddy soils during rice grain fill allows reliable prediction of grain Cd levels. Plant Soil, 302, 125–137. , , , ,
- 1981: The operational definition of the zero point of charge in soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 45, 292–297.
- 2008: Impacts of arsenic contaminated soils on agroecosystems in Guandu plain, Taipei: assessment by As fractionation. In Proceedings of 14th International Conference on Heavy Metals in the Environment (14th ICHMET). 16–23 November 2008, National Taiwan University, Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 93–96. ,
- 1971: Distributiom of heavy metals in serpentine soils. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 17, 195–198. , ,
- 1980: Sorption of copper and lead by hydrous ferric oxide. Environ. Sci. Technol., 14, 1326–1331. , ,
- Taiwan COA 2007: Annual Report in Agriculture of Taiwan. Council of Agriculture, Taiwan.
- Taiwan EPA 2009a: Environmental water quality information. Available from URL: http://wqshow.epa.gov.tw/wqeng/frame.aspx (cited 2 June 2009).
- Taiwan EPA 2009b: Remedial sites. Available from URL: http://sgw.epa.gov.tw/public/En/index.htm (cited 2 June 2009).
- 1979: Sequential extraction procedures for the speciation of particulate trace metals. Anal. Chem., 51, 844–851. , ,
- 2006: Simulating the long-term chemistry of an upland UK catchment: heavy metals. Environ. Pollut., 141, 139–150. , , ,
- 2003: The solid-solution partitioning of heavy metals (Cu, Zn, Cd, Pb) in upland soils of England and Wales. Environ. Pollut., 125, 213–225. , , et al.
- 2004: The effect of EDTA and citric acid on phytoremediation of Cd, Cr, and Ni from soil using Helianthus annuus. Environ. Pollut., 131, 147–154. , ,
- 2009: A major quantitative trait locus controlling cadmium translocation in rice (Oryza sativa). New Phyt., 182, 644–653. , , , , ,
- US EPA 1997: Test Methods for Evaluating Solid Waste-Physical/Chemical Methods, SW-846. Revised methods. Version 2. Integrated Manual/Update III. US EPA, Washington, DC.
- 2003: Field trials to assess the uptake of arsenic by vegetables from contaminated soils and soil remediation with iron oxides. Sci. Total Environ., 311, 19–33. , , , , ,
- 2001: Contribution of individual sorbents to the control of heavy metal activity in sandy soil. Environ. Sci. Technol., 35, 4436–4443. , ,
- 1999: Pytoremediation: a plant-microbe-based remediation system. In Bioremediation of Contaminated Soils, Agron. Monogr. No. 37. Ed. DCAdriano, JMBollag, WTFrankenbergerJr, and RCSims., pp. 457–508, ASA-CSSA-SSSA, Madison, WI, USA. , , ,
- 2009: Soluble Heavy Metal and Rice Uptake from a Serpentine Soil with Different Fertilizer Treatments. Master thesis. Department of Environmental Science and Engineering, National Pingtung University of Science and Technology, Pingtung, Taiwan, 77 p.
- 2004: Phytoremediation of Zn/Cd contaminated soil with enhanced-chelates and co-crop system. In The 2nd International Conference on Soil Pollution and Remediation. 9–12 November 2004, Nanjing, China, pp. 196–197. , , , , ,
- 1997: Sorption behavior of copper, zinc, and cadmium in response to simulated changes in soil properties. Commun. Soil Sci. Plant Anal., 28, 571–587. ,
- 2007: Arsenic and lead residues in carrots from foliar applications of monosodium mentanearsonate (MSMA): a comparison between mineral and organic soils, or from soil residues. Food Addit. Contam., 24, 34–42. ,
- 2008: Arsenic in rice: I. Estimating normal levels of total arsenic in rice grain. Environ. Sci. Technol., 42, 3856–3860. ,