Effect of chemical fertilizer and manure application on N2O emission from reed canary grassland in Hokkaido, Japan
Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
© 2010 Japanese Society of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition
Soil Science & Plant Nutrition
Volume 56, Issue 1, pages 53–65, February 2010
How to Cite
JIN, T., SHIMIZU, M., MARUTANI, S., DESYATKIN, A. R., IIZUKA, N., HATA, H. and HATANO, R. (2010), Effect of chemical fertilizer and manure application on N2O emission from reed canary grassland in Hokkaido, Japan. Soil Science & Plant Nutrition, 56: 53–65. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-0765.2010.00447.x
- Issue published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Article first published online: 1 MAR 2010
- Received 31 July 2009. Accepted for publication 31 December 2009.
- 2003: Effect of organic matter application on N2O, NO, and NO2 fluxes from an Andisol field. Glob. Biogeochem. Cycles, 17, 1–16. ,
- Anon., 2004: Handbook of Animal Waste Management and Utilization in Hokkaido. Hokkaido Prefectural Experiment Stations and Hokkaido Animal Research Center, Sapporo, 64–67 (in Japanese).
- 2002: Modeling global annual N2O and NO emissions from fertilized fields. Glob. Biogeochem. Cycles, 16, 1080. , ,
- 2001: Influence of topsoil tilth and soil moisture status on losses of pesticide to drains from a heavy clay soil. Pest Manag. Sci., 57, 1127–1134. , ,
- 2002: Organic and synthetic fertility amendments influence soil microbial, physical and chemical properties on organic and conventional farms. Appl. Soil Ecol., 19, 147–160. , , ,
- 2000: Nitrous oxide and methane emissions following application of animal manures to grassland. J. Environ. Qual., 29, 277–287. , ,
- 1996: Soil microorganisms as controllers of atmospheric trace gases (H2, CO, CH4, OCS, N2O, and NO). Microbiol. Rev., 60, 609–640.
- 1992: Source of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide following wetting of dry soil. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 56, 95–102.
- 2003: Soil properties influencing the denitrification potential of Flemish agricultural soils. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 38, 358–366. , , et al.
- 2003: Nitrous oxide emission factors for agricultural soil in Great Brita: the impact of soil water-filled pore space and other controlling variables. Glob. Change Biol., 9, 204–218. ,
- 1998: Carbon and nitrogen dynamics in a grassland soil with varying pH: effect of pH on the denitrification potential and dynamics of the reduction enzymes. Soil Biol. Biochem., 30, 359–367. , , , ,
- 2008: Fertilization of maize with compost from cattle manure supplemented with additional mineral nutrients. Waste Manag., 28, 1432–1440. , ,
- 1994: Nitrous oxide from agriculture. Nor. J. Agric. Sci., Suppl., 12, 7–128. ,
- 1985: Seasonal fluctuation patterns of microbial numbers in the surface of a grassland. Soil Sci. plant Nutr., 31, 113–121. ,
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2006: Guidelines for National Greenhouse Gas Inventories, Prepared by the National Greenhouse Gas Inventories Programme. Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change. IPCC, IGES, Japan.
- Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change 2007: Climate changes 2007: The Physical Science Basis. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge.
- IUSS Working Group WRB 2006: World Reference Base for Soil Resources 2006. World Soil Resources Reports 103, FAO, Rome.
- 2007: Influence of organic and mineral N fertiliser on N2O fluxes from a temperate grassland. Agr. Ecosyst. Environ., 121, 74–83. , , ,
- 2001: Analysis of proton generation and consumption of forest surface soils in Hokkaido, northern Japan. Water Air Soil Pollut, 130, 697–702. , , ,
- 1999: Closing the global N2O budget: a retrospective analysis 1500–1994. Glob. Biogeochem. Cycles, 13, 1–8. , ,
- 1984: Effect of water-filled pore-space on carbon-dioxide and nitrous-oxide production in tilled and nontilled soils. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., 48, 1267–1272. ,
- 1981: Production of NO and N2O by soil nitrifying bacteria. Nature, 294, 641–643. , , , , ,
- 1997: Nitrous oxide emission as affected by tillage, corn-soybean-alfalfa rotations and nitrogen fertilization. Can. J. Soil. Sci., 77, 145–152. , ,
- 1997: Nitrous oxide emissions from slurry and mineral nitrogen applied to grassland. In Gaseous Nitrogen Emission from Grasslands Eds SCJarvis and BFPain, pp. 209–210, CAB International, Wallingford, UK. , , ,
- 2005: Long-term application of organic manure and nitrogen fertilizer on N2O emissions, soil quality and crop production in a sandy loam soil. Soil Biol. Biochem., 37, 2037–2045. , ,
- 2008: N2O and CH4 fluxes from a volcanic grassland soil in Nasu, Japan: comparison between manure plus fertilizer plot and fertilizer-only plot. Soil Sci. Plant Nutr., 54, 606–617. , , , , ,
- 1998: Closing the global N2O budget: nitrous oxide emissions through the agricultural nitrogen cycle. Nutr. Cycling Agroecosyst., 52, 225–248. , , , , ,
- 2008: Nitrous oxide fluxes from upland soils in central Hokkaido, Japan. J. Environ. Oual., 20, 1312–1322. , , ,
- 1998: New estimates of radiative forcing due to well mixed greenhouse gases. Geophys. Res. Lett., 25, 2715–2718. , , ,
- 1989: Denitrification below the crop rooting zone as influenced by surface tillage. J. Environ. Oual., 18, 12–16. ,
- 2008: Nitrous oxide emissions from multiple combined applications of fertiliser and cattle slurry to grassland. Plant Soil, 310, 89–101. , , ,
- 2000: Nitrous oxide and carbon dioxide emissions from grassland amended with sewage sludge. Soil Use Manage., 16, 36–41. , , ,
- 2003: Nitrous oxide fluxes from maize fields: relationship to yield, site-specific fertilization, and soil conditions. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ., 99, 97–111. , ,
- 1985: An evaluation of different organic materials based on their decomposition pattern in paddy soils. Res. Bull. Natl. Agric. Res. Cetr., 5, 1–19. (in Japanese with English summary). , , ,
- 2009: The effect of manure application on carbon dynamics and budgets in a managed grassland of Southern Hokkaido, Japan. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ., 130, 31–40. , , , , ,
- 2002: The influence of soil pH on denitrification-progress towards the understanding of this interaction over the last 50 years. Eur. J. Soil Sci., 53, 345–354. ,
- 1999: Regulation of potential denitrification by soil pH in long-term fertilized arable soils. Biol. Fertil. Soils, 30, 41–47. ,
- 2000: The control of nitrous oxide emissions from agricultural and natural soils. Chemosphere Glob. Change Sci., 2, 379–386. ,
- 1993: Nitrification and denitrification as source of nitric oxide and nitrous oxide in a sandy loam soils. Soil Biol. Biochem., 25, 1527–1536. , ,
- Soil Survey staff 2006: Keys to Soil Taxonomy, 10th edn. USDA-Natural Resources Conservation Service, Washington DC.
- 2007: Full accounting of the greenhouse gas (CO2, N2O, CH4) budget of nine European grassland sites. Agric. Ecosyst. Environ., 121, 121–134. , ,
- 1984: Spatial Variability of biochemical properties in a taxonomically-uniform soil under grazed pasture. Soil Biol. Biochem., 16, 153–160. , ,
- 1988: Ecology of denitrification and dissimilatory nitrate reduction to ammonium. In Biology of Anaerobic Microorganisms Ed AJBZehnder, pp. 179–244, Wiley, New York.
- 1994: Denitrifiers. Methods of Soil Analysis, Part 2. Microbiological and Biochemical Properties. Soil Sci. Soc. Amer., Wisconsin, Madison, 245–267.