Will Vote for Food? Regime Type and Equity in the Developing World
Article first published online: 12 NOV 2008
© 2002 Policy Studies Organization
Politics & Policy
Volume 30, Issue 4, pages 736–760, December 2002
How to Cite
Bowman, K. S. (2002), Will Vote for Food? Regime Type and Equity in the Developing World. Politics & Policy, 30: 736–760. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-1346.2002.tb00142.x
- Issue published online: 12 NOV 2008
- Article first published online: 12 NOV 2008
- 1991. “Economic Growth in a Cross Section of Countries. Quarterly Journal of Economics 106 1994. Data Set for a Panel of 138 Countries. On floppy disk.
- 1986. The Central America Fact Book. New York: Grove Press. , and
- 1989. “Democracy, Stability and Dichotomies. American Sociological Review 54 (4): 612–21. , and
- 1997. “Should the Kuznets Effect be Relied on to Induce Equalizing Growth? Evidence from Post-1950 Development. World Development 25 (1): 127–43.
- 1997. “Urbanization and Political Instability in the Middle East City.” in Population, Poverty, and Politics in Middle East Cities edited by MichaelE. Bonine Gainesville: University Press of Florida.. 237–55. , and
- 1990. “Gun and Butter? The Effect of Militarization on Economic and Social Development in the Third World. Journal of Political and Military Sociology 18 (2): 231–66. , and
- 1997. “Comparative Democracy and Income Distribution: Shape and Direction of the Causal Arrow. Journal of Politics 59 (1): 146–64.
- 1997. “Democracy and Inequality: Tracking Welfare Spending in Singapore, Taiwan, and South Korea.” in Inequality, Democracy, and Economic Development edited by ManusI. Midlarsky Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.. 24–52.
- 1998. “Political Regimes and the Extractive Capacity of Governments. World Politics 50 (3): 349–76.
- 1998. The Wealth of the World and the Poverty of Nations. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press.
- 1999. “Democracy and Dichotomies: A Pragmatic Approach to Choices about Concepts. Annual Review of Political Science 2: 537–65. , and
- 1996. A Cautionary Tale: Failed U.S. Development Policy in Central America. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. , , and
- 1996. “A New Data Set Measuring Income Inequality. World Bank Economic Review 10 (September: 565–91. , and
- 1997. “Economic Growth and Income Inequality: Reexamining the Links. Finance and Development 34 (1): 38–41. , and
- 1986. “The Military Burden and Basic Human Needs. Journal of Conflict Resolution 30 (4): 660–84. , and
- Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean. (ECLAC) 1999. Social Panorama. Santiago, Chile: Economic Commission for Latin America and the Caribbean.
- 1999. The World Food Problem. 2d edition Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. , and
- 1996. “An Overview of the Political Regime Change Dataset. Comparative Political Studies 29 (4): 469–83.
- 1997. “Political Regimes and Industrial Wages: A Cross-National Analysis.” in Inequality, Democracy, and Economic Development edited by ManusI. Midlarsky Cambridge, MA: Cambridge University Press.. 244–68.
- Gills, Barry, JoelRacamora, and RichardWilson, eds. 1993. Low Intensity Democracy. London: Pluto Press.
- 1977. “The Effect of Political Democracy and Social Democracy on Equality in Industrial Societies: A Cross-National Comparison. American Sociological Review 42 (3): 450–64.
- 1995. “Assessments of State Strength.” in Latin America in Comparative Perspective: New Approaches to Methods and Analysis edited by Peter, Smith. Boulder, CO: Westview Press.. 163–93.
- 1997. “Sample Selection Bias in Analyses of the Political Democracy and Income Inequality Relationship. Social Forces 15 (3): 1101–17.
- 1998. Democracy and Social Spending in Latin America, 1980–1992. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, September 3–6, Boston, MA. , and
- 1998. The Rent-Seeking State: Monopoly Power and Democratic Control. Paper presented at the annual meeting of the American Political Science Association, Sepember 3–6, Boston, MA. , and
- 1992. “A Sensitivity Analysis of Cross-country Growth Regressions. American Economic Review 82 (4): 942–63. , and
- 1978. The Breakdown of Democratic regimes: Crisis, Breakdown, and Reequilibration. Baltimore, MD: Johns Hopkins University Press.
- 1954. “Underdeveloped Countries and the Pre-industrial Phase in the Advanced Countries.” in The Economics of Underdevelopment edited by A.N.Agarwala, S.P.Singh New York: Oxford University Press.. 135–53.
- 1995. “Democratization and the Danger of War. International Security 20 (1): 5–38. , and
- 1999. “Introduction.” in The World Food Problem edited by PhillipsFoster HowardLeathers. Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner. iv-xiv.
- 1988. “Democracy, Economic Development, and Income Inequality. American Sociological Review 53 (1): 50–68.
- 1995. “Economic Determinants of Democracy. American Sociological Review 60 (6): 966–82.
- 1997. “Modernization: Theories and Facts. World Politics 49 (2): 155–83. , and
- 1994. Poverty and Income Distribution in Latin America: The Story of the 1980s Latin America and Caribbean Technical Department Report Number 27. World Bank. , , , , and
- 1997. “The Correlates of Change in International Financial Regulation. American Political Science Review 91 (3): 531–51.
- 1997. “Famines and Economics. Journal of Economic Literature 35 (3): 1205–42.
- 1990. “Democracy and Economic Crisis: The Latin American Experience. World Politics. 42 (3): 315–35.
- 1976. Malnutrition and Poverty: Magnitude and Policy Options Staff Occasional Paper Number 23. World Bank. , and
- 1987. The Theory of Democracy Revisited. Chatham, NJ: Chatham House.
- 1993. “Chile: The Underside of the Miracle. North American Congress for Latin America Report on the Americas 26 (4): 30–32.
- 1993. “Inequality in a Global Perspective: Directions for Further Research.” in Development and Underdevelopment: The Political Economy of Inequality edited by MitchellSeligson, JohnT. Passe-Smith Boulder, CO: Lynne Rienner.. 437–48.
- 1999. Development as Freedom. New York: Knopf.
- 1990. “Political Rights and Income Inequality: A Cross-National Test. American Sociological Review 55 (5): 682–93.
- 1991. “The Effects of Democracy on Economic Growth and Inequality: A Review.” in On Measuring Democracy edited by Alex, Inkeles. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers.. 125–56. , and
- 1988. First Things First: Meeting Basic Needs in Developing Countries. New York: Oxford University Press.
- 1991. “The Penn World Table (Mark 5): An Expanded Set of International Comparisons, 1950–1988. Quarterly Journal of Economics 106 (2): 327–68. , and
- 1974. Data Analysis for Politics and Policy. Englewood Cliffs: Prentice Hall.
- United Nations Food and Agriculture Organization. (FAO) 1996. Sixth World Food Survey.
- 1986. “Rent-Seeking, Military Participation, and Economic Performance in LDCs. Journal of Conflict Resolution 30 (2): 291–314.
- 1996. Democracy without Equity: Failures of Reform in Brazil. Pittsburgh, PA: University of Pittsburgh Press.
- 1997. “Growth with Equity in Chile's New Democracy Latin American Research Review 32 (1): 37–67.