Changing Public Opinion on Same-Sex Marriage: The Case of California
Article first published online: 11 JAN 2008
Politics & Policy
Volume 36, Issue 1, pages 4–30, February 2008
How to Cite
Lewis, G. B. and Gossett, C. W. (2008), Changing Public Opinion on Same-Sex Marriage: The Case of California. Politics & Policy, 36: 4–30. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-1346.2007.00092.x
- Issue published online: 11 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 11 JAN 2008
- 2001. “Cohort Differences in the Structures and Outcomes of an African American Belief System. Journal of Black Psychology 27 (4): 367-400. , and .
- 2006. “Gay-Themed Television and the Slumpy Class. Television & New Media 7 (2): 184-215.
- 2005. “Examining Determinants of American Support for Same-Sex Marriage.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Washington, DC. August 31-September 3.
- 1989. “Education and Political Tolerance: Testing the Effects of Cognitive Sophistication and Target Group Affect. Public Opinion Quarterly 53 (3): 285-308. , and .
- 1990. “A Comparison of Latino, Black, and Non-Hispanic White Attitudes Toward Homosexuality. Hispanic Journal of Behavioral Science 12 (4): 437-52. , and .
- 2006. “Attitudes about Homosexuality and Gay Marriage. AEI Studies in Public Opinion. Accessed on October 11, 2007. Available online at http://www.aei.org/research/politicalCorner/publications/pubID.14882,projectID.14/pub_detail.asp , and .
- 2005. “Same-Sex Marriage and Civil Unions. Public Opinion Quarterly 69 (4): 599-616. , and .
- 2001. “Public Opinion and Congressional Support for Policy Change.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, San Francisco, CA. August 30-September 2. , , and .
- 2004. Same-Sex Marriage in the United States: Focus on the Facts. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.
- 1980. “The Two Faces of Issue Voting. American Political Science Review 74 (1): 78-91. , and
- 1972 1999. “Marriage is an Evil that Most Men Welcome.” The Advocate. March 29. Reprinted in Witness to Revolution: The Advocate Reports on Gay and Lesbian Politics, 1967-1999, edited by ChrisBull. Los Angeles, CA: Alyson Books. 42-4.
- 2004. “Correlates of Negative Attitudes Toward Gay Men: Sexism, Male Role Norms, and Male Sexuality. Journal of Sex Research 41 (3): 259-66.
- 1992. “Changeable Weather in a Cooling Climate Atop the Liberal Plateau: Conversion and Replacement in Forty-Two General Social Survey Items, 1972-89. Public Opinion Quarterly 56 (3): 261-306.
- 2005. “Marriage and the Shifting Priorities of a New Generation of Lesbians and Gays. PS: Political Science & Politics 38 (2): 229-32. , and .
- Equality California. 2007. “2007 Legislative Center: AB 43 Religious Freedom and Civil Marriage Protection Amendment. Eqca.Org. Accessed on October 11, 2007. Available online at http://www.eqca.org/site/apps/nl/content2.asp?c=9oINKWMCF&b=2292609&ct=3305229
- 1993. Statehouse Democracy: Public Opinion and Democracy in the American States. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press. , , and .
- 2003. “The Relation of Religious Affiliation, Service Attendance, and Other Factors to Homophobic Attitudes among University Students. Review of Religious Research 44 (4): 370-93. , and .
- 2005. Culture War? The Myth of a Polarized America. New York: Pearson Longman.
- 2000. “Antigay Behaviors among Young Adults. Journal of Interpersonal Violence 15 (4): 339-62.
- 1986. “Regulatory Issue Networks in a Federal System. Polity 18 (4): 595-620.
- 2000. “Lesbian and Gay Politics in the States: Interest Groups, Electoral Politics, and Policy.” In The Politics of Gay Rights, edited by Craig A.Rimmerman, Kenneth D.Wald, and ClydeWilcox. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. 290-346.
- 2000. “Minority Group Interests and Political Representation: Gay Elected Officials in the Policy Process. Journal of Politics 62 (2): 568-77. , , and .
- 1996. “The Politics of Gay and Lesbian Rights: Expanding the Scope of Conflict. Journal of Politics 58 (2): 332-49. , and .
- 1988. “Heterosexuals' Attitudes Toward Lesbians and Gay Men: Correlates and Gender Differences. Journal of Sex Research 25 (4): 457-77.
- 2000. “The Psychology of Sexual Prejudice. Current Directions in Psychological Science 9 (1): 19-22. Direct Link:
- 2007. “When Does Heterosexuals' Contact with Sexual Minorities Reduce Sexual Prejudice?” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA. August 17-20. , and .
- 2006. “Attitudes Toward Homosexuality among U.S. Residents of Mexican Descent. Journal of Sex Research 43 (2): 122-35. , and .
- 1993. “The Political Consequences of Religious Group Attitudes. Journal of Politic 55 (1): 178-90.
- 2002. “Culture Wars, Secular Realignment, and the Gender Gap in Party Identification. Political Behavior 24 (3): 283-307.
- 1992. The Myth of the Independent Voter. Berkeley, CA: University of California Press. , , , , , and .
- 1996. “Sex Differences in Attitudes Towards Homosexual Persons, Behavior, and Civil Rights: A Meta-Analysis. Personality & Social Psychology Bulletin 22:336-53. , and .
- 2001. American Religious Identification Survey. New York: Graduate Center of the City University of New York. Accessed on October 18, 2007. Online at: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/faculty/research_briefs/aris.pdf , , and .
- 2002. “Religious Fundamentalism as Predictor of Prejudice: A Two Component Model. Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 41 (4): 623-35. , , , and .
- 2007. “Atlas of U.S. Presidential Elections. UsElectionAtlas.Org. Accessed on October 11, 2007. Available online at http://www.uselectionatlas.org/RESULTS/
- 2000. “We're Here, We're Queer, We're on TV: The Effects of Visual Media on Heterosexuals' Attitudes Towards Gay Men and Lesbians. Journal of Applied Social Psychology 30 (4): 738-58. , , and .
- 2003. “Black-White Differences in Attitudes Toward Homosexuality and Gay Rights. Public Opinion Quarterly 67 (1): 59-78.
- 2005. “Thinking about Gay Marriage: Putting the Moral Condemnation Back in Morality Policy.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management, Washington, DC. November 3-5.
- 2007. “The Friends and Family Plan: Assessing the Impact of Knowing Someone Gay on Support for Gay Rights.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Psychological Association, San Francisco, CA. August 17-20.
- 2008. “Public Support and State Action on Same-Sex Marriage. State and Local Government Review 40 (1). Forthcoming. , and .
- 2002. “Issue Evolution, Political Parties, and Culture Wars. Political Research Quarterly 55 (1): 91-110. , and .
- 2001. “America's Liberalization in Attitudes Towards Homosexuality, 1973-1998. American Sociological Review 66: 762-82.
- 1992. The Changing American Mind: How and Why Public Opinion Changed between 1960 and 1988. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press.
- 2004. “The Relationship of Symbolic Beliefs and Prior Contact to Heterosexuals' Attitudes Toward Gay Men and Lesbian Women. Canadian Journal of Behavioural Science 36 (1): 36-44. , and .
- 2006. “Does Morality Policy Exist? Testing a Basic Assumption.” Paper presented at the Annual Meeting of the American Political Science Association, Philadelphia, PA. August 31-September 3. , and .
- 2007. State Rankings 2005: A Statistical View of the 50 United States. sixteenth edition. Lawrence, KS: Morgan Quitno Press. , and , eds.
- 2005. “A Comparison of African American and White College Students' Affective and Attitudinal Reactions to Lesbian, Gay, and Bisexual Individuals: An Exploratory Study. Journal of Sex Research 42 (4): 291-98. , and .
- 2000. “The Multi-Layered Impact of Public Opinion on Capital Punishment Implementation in the American States. Political Research Quarterly 53 (4): 771-93.
- 2006. “Religion and Public Opinion about Same-Sex Marriage. Social Science Quarterly 87 (2): 341-60. , , and .
- 2006. “Gay Marriage, Public Opinion and the Courts.” Public Law Working Paper No. 06-17, University of Pennsylvania Law School. Accessed on October 11, 2007. Available online at http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=900208 , , and .
- 2006. “A Meta-Analytic Test of Intergroup Contact Theory. Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 90 (5): 751-83. , and .
- Pew Research Center. 2006. “Pragmatic Americans Liberal and Conservative on Social Issues. People-Press.Org. Accessed on October 11, 2007. Available online at http://people-Press.org/reports/pdf/283.pdf
- 2006. America's Struggle for Same Sex Marriage. Cambridge, UK: Cambridge University Press.
- 2006. “Gender Differences in Attitudes Toward Gay Men and Lesbians: The Role of Motivation to Respond Without Prejudice. Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 32 (10): 1325-38. , , , and .
- 1998. Americans' Attitudes Toward Gays and Lesbians Since 1965. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation, American University.
- 1995. “Blacks & Gays.” In Eyes Right: Challenging the Right Wing Backlash, edited by ChipBerlet. Boston: South End Press. 272-78.
- 2006. “Reassessing the Impact of Supreme Court Decisions: Gay Civil Rights Cases. Political Research Quarterly 59 (3): 419-33. , , and .
- 1999. “Subjective Religiosity among African Americans: A Synthesis of Findings from Five National Samples. Journal of Black Psychology 25 (4): 524-43. , , and .
- 2002. The Prime Time Closet: A History of Gays and Lesbians on TV. New York: Applause Theater & Cinema.
- 2006. “Changing Heterosexuals' Attitudes Towards Homosexuals: A Systematic Review of the Empirical Literature. Research on Social Work Practice 16 (2): 176-90. , and .
- 2007. “Sanders Changes Mind on Gay Marriage. San Diego Union-Tribune. September 20. Accessed on October 11, 2007. Available online at http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20070920/news_1n20sanders.html
- 2001. “Gender-Role Variables and Attitudes Toward Homosexuality. Sex Roles 45 (11-2): 691-721. .
- 1985. “Measuring State Partisanship and Ideology with Survey Data. Journal of Politics 47 (2): 469-89. ., , and .
- 1997. “Attitudes Toward Homosexuality. Public Opinion Quarterly 61 (3): 477-507.
- 2003. Mass Opinion Change and Social Activism: The Politics of Knowledge and the Modern Lesbian and Gay Movement. Unpublished Ph.D. dissertation. Columbia University.