We extend our thanks to the many lawyers who agreed to discuss their work with us and to the librarians and archivists at Rothchilds, Barings, HSBC, UBS, the Morgan Library, Guildhall, the Library of Congress, Duke, and Cornell. For sharing bonds from their personal collections, we also thank Michael Bradley, Mike Tomz, Arturo Porzecanski, Lee Buchheit, and Juan Flores. For comments on prior drafts, we thank Mitchel Abolafia, Al Brophy, Lee Buchheit, John Coates, John Conley, Anna Gelpern, Don Hornstein, Melissa Jacoby, Kim Krawiec, Don Langevoort, John Orth, Mark Osiel, Annelise Riles, and Lawrence Solan. We owe a special thanks to Emily Johnson, who tracked down Colonel George E. Church and quite possibly the first sovereign holdout case.
Origin Myths, Contracts, and the Hunt for Pari Passu
Article first published online: 25 APR 2012
© 2012 American Bar Foundation
Law & Social Inquiry
Volume 38, Issue 1, pages 72–105, Winter 2013
How to Cite
Weidemaier, M., Scott, R. and Gulati, M. (2013), Origin Myths, Contracts, and the Hunt for Pari Passu. Law & Social Inquiry, 38: 72–105. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-4469.2012.01313.x
- Issue published online: 15 FEB 2013
- Article first published online: 25 APR 2012
- 2010. Lawsuits and Empire: On the Enforcement of Sovereign Debt in Latin America. Law & Contemporary Problems 73 (4): 39–46. , , and .
- 1992. Sustaining Lender Commitment to Sovereign Debtors. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 30 (1): 1–56. .
- 1995. Negative Pledge Clauses in International Loan Agreements. Law & Policy in International Business 26 (2): 407–58. .
- 1981. Reconstructing Reality in the Courtroom: Justice and Judgment in American Culture. New Brunswick, NJ: Rutgers University Press. , and .
- 2006. On the Stickiness of Default Rules. Florida State University Law Review 33 (3): 651–82. , and .
- 2010. The Evolution of Modern Sovereign Debt Litigation: Vultures, Alter Egos and Other Legal Fauna. Law and Contemporary Problems 73 (4): 47–61. , and .
- 1951. State Insolvency and Foreign Bondholders. New Haven, CT: Yale University Press. .
- 1999. Foundations of World Order: The Legalist Approach to International Relations, 1898–1922. Durham, NC: Duke University Press.
- 1984. The Problems Posed by the Negative Pledge Covenants in International Loan Agreements. Columbia Journal of Transnational Law 23 (1): 131–42. , and .
- 2010. The Market Reaction to Legal Shocks and Their Antidotes: Lessons from the Sovereign Debt Market. Journal of Legal Studies 39 (1): 289–324. , , and .
- 1990. Negative Pledge Clauses: The Games People Play. International Financial Law Review 9 (7): 10–11.
- 1991. The Pari Passu Clause sub specie aeternitatis. International Financial Law Review 10 (12): 11–12.
- 2004. The Pari Passu Clause in Sovereign Debt Instruments. Emory Law Journal 53 (Special Edition): 869–922. , and .
- 1988. The Effect of the Sovereign Debt Restructuring Process on Inter-Creditor Relationships. University of Illinois Law Review 1998 (2): 493–517. , and .
- 2006. Capitals of Capital: A History of International Financial Centres, 1780–2005. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 2004. Innovation in Boilerplate Contracts: An Empirical Examination of Sovereign Bonds. Emory Law Journal 53 (Special Edition): 929–96. , and .
- 2001. Explaining Variation in Takeover Defenses: Blame the Lawyers. California Law Review 89 (5): 1301–1421.
- 2005. Engage, Embed, and Embellish: Theory versus Practice in the Corporate Social Responsibility Movement. Journal of Corporation Law 31 (1): 1–38. , and .
- 1907. Recollections of an Ill Fated Expedition. Philadelphia, PA: J.B. Lippincott Co.
- 1970. Dollar Diplomacy in Light of the Guatemalan Loan Project, 1900–1913. Americas 26:237–53.
- 2007. The Moral of the Story: Toward an Understanding of Ethics in Organizations and Legal Practice. Legal Ethics 10 (1): 5–25. , and .
- 1993. Origin Myths: Narratives of Authority, Resistance, Disability, and Law. Law & Society Review 27 (4): 785–826.
- 2003. Narrating Social Structure: Stories of Resistance to Legal Authority. American Journal of Sociology 108 (6): 1328–72. , and .
- Financial Markets Law Committee. 2005. Issue 79: Pari Passu Clause. London: Bank of England.
- 2003. The Purpose of Intervention: Changing Beliefs about the Use of Force. Ithaca, NY: Cornell University Press. .
- 2004. Vultures or Vanguards: The Role of Litigation in Sovereign Debt Restructuring. Emory Law Journal 53 (Special Edition): 1043–1113. , and .
- 1991. Doing Business: The Management of Uncertainty in Lawyers' Work. Law & Society Review 25 (1): 41–72. .
- 2005. After Argentina. Rutgers School of Law-Newark Research Paper No. 011. http://ssrn.com/abstract=880794 (accessed August 4, 2011). .
- 2009. Financial Crisis Containment. Connecticut Law Review 41 (4): 1051–1106. .
- 2006. Public Symbol in Private Contract: A Case Study. Washington University Law Review 84 (7): 1627–1715. , and .
- 1985. The Limits of Expanded Choice: An Analysis of the Interactions between Express and Implied Contract Terms. California Law Review 73 (2): 261–322. , and .
- 1959. The Presentation of Self in Everyday Life. New York: Anchor Books. .
- The Three and a Half Minute Transaction: Boilerplate and the Limits of Contract Design. Unpublished manuscript, last modified October 2, 2011 (in author's possession). , and . n.d.
- 2005. Designing a Legal Framework to Restructure Sovereign Debt. Georgetown Journal of International Law 36 (2): 299–402. .
- 1983. Introduction: Inventing Traditions. In The Invention of Tradition, ed. Eric Hobsbawm and Terence Ranger, 1–2. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. .
- 1990. Strategic Bargaining and the Economic Theory of Contract Default Rules. Yale Law Journal 100 (3): 615–64. .
- 1997. Standardization and Innovation in Corporate Contracting (Or “The Economics of Boilerplate”). Virginia Law Review 83 (4): 713–70. , and .
- 2010. The Persistent Ideal of Agreement in an Age of Boilerplate. Law & Social Inquiry 35 (3): 793–823. .
- 1985. Standing Guard: Protecting Foreign Capital in the Nineteenth and Twentieth Centuries. Berkeley: University of California Press. .
- 2004. Intercreditor Distribution in Sovereign Debt Restructuring. IMF Working Paper WP/04/183. http://www.imf.org/external/pubs/ft/wp/2004/wp04183.pdf (accessed October 2, 2011). .
- 2001. Divorce Lawyers at Work: Varieties of Professionalism in Practice. Oxford: Oxford University Press. , , and .
- 1994. Lawyers, Mediation, and the Management of Divorce Practice. Law & Society Review 28 (1): 149–86. , , and .
- 2005a. Empire, Public Goods, and the Roosevelt Corollary. Journal of Economic History 65 (3): 658–92. , and .
- 2005b. Supersanctions and Sovereign Debt Repayment. National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper #11472. http://www.nber.org/papers/w11472 (accessed October 2, 2011). , and .
- 2004. The Method of Hope: Anthropology, Philosophy, and Fijian Knowledge. Palo Alto, CA: Stanford University Press. .
- 2010. Peru's Experience in Sovereign Debt Management and Litigation: Some Lessons for the Legal Approach to Sovereign Indebtedness. Law & Contemporary Problems 73 (4): 201–14. .
- 1945. The League Loans. Political Science Quarterly 60 (4): 492–526.
- 1992a. Fortune and Folly: The Wealth and Power of Institutional Investing. Homewood, IL: Business One Irwin. , and .
- 1992b. Managing Relationships: The Culture of Institutional Investing. Financial Analysts Journal 48 (5): 21–27. , and .
- 2009a. To Rank Pari Passu or Not to Rank Pari Passu: That is the Question in Sovereign Bonds after the Latest Episode of the Argentine Saga. Law and Business Review of the Americas 15 (4): 745–78. .
- 2009b. Understanding the Pari Passu Clause in Sovereign Debt Instruments: A Complex Quest. International Lawyer 43 (3): 1217–33. .
- 2007. Public Power and Private Purpose: Odious Debt and the Political Economy of Hegemony. North Carolina Journal of International Law and Commercial Regulation 32 (4): 699–748. , and .
- 1997. Willard Straight and the Paradox of Liberal Imperialism. Pacific Historical Review 66 (3): 363–97. .
- Republic of Chile. 1921. Prospectus for 8% Gold Bonds (in author's possession).
- 2006. Introduction to Documents: Artifacts of Modern Knowledge, ed. Annelise Riles, 1–40. Ann Arbor: University of Michigan Press. .
- 2008. The Anti-Network: Private Global Governance, Legal Knowledge, and the Legitimacy of the State. American Journal of Comparative Law 56 (3): 605–30. .
- 1999. Financial Missionaries to the World: The Politics and Culture of Dollar Diplomacy, 1900–1930. Cambridge, MA: Harvard University Press.
- 1986. A Relational Theory of Secured Financing. Columbia Law Review 86 (5): 901–77.
- 2006. Anticipating Litigation in Contract Design. Yale Law Journal 115 (4): 814–79. , and .
- 1991. Culture as Figurative Action. British Journal of Sociology 42 (4): 481–506. , and .
- 2008. The Mythical Beginnings of Intellectual Property Law. George Mason Law Review 15 (2): 319–79. .
- 2003. The Contract as Social Artifact. Law & Society Review 37 (1): 91–142. .
- 2007. Reputation and International Cooperation: Sovereign Debt across Three Centuries. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 1983. Sovereign Risk and Immunity under English Law and Practice. In International Financial Law, 2d ed., ed. Robert S. Rendell, 95–96. London: Euromoney. .
- Ukraine. 2007. Prospectus for 3.5% Notes, dated January 29 (in author's possession).
- 2010. Contracting for State Intervention: The Origins of Sovereign Debt Arbitration. Law & Contemporary Problems 73 (4): 335–55.
- 1998. Reconceiving the Tournament of Lawyers: Tracking, Seeding, and Information Control in the Internal Labor Markets of Elite Law Firms. Virginia Law Review 84 (8): 1581–1681. , and .
- 1995. Project Finance, Subordinated Debt and State Loans. London: Sweet and Maxwell. .
- 2007. The Law and Practice of International Finance. London: Sweet and Maxwell. .
- 2009. Life after Lehman: Allen and Overy Analysis of Changes in Market Practice. London: Allen and Overy. .
- 2010. Sovereign Syndicated Bank Credits in the 1970s. Law & Contemporary Problems 73 (4): 7–28. .
- Elliott Assocs., L.P., General Docket No. 2000/QR/92, P 2 (Ct. App. of Brussels, 8th Chamber, Sept. 26, 2000).
- NML Capital, Ltd. v. Republic of Argentina, Case No. 08 CV 6978 (S.D.N.Y. Sept. 28, 2011) (transcript of hearing on file with authors).