A Glass Half Full? Gender in Migration Studies1
Article first published online: 13 MAR 2006
International Migration Review
Volume 40, Issue 1, pages 3–26, February 2006
How to Cite
Donato, K. M., Gabaccia, D., Holdaway, J., Manalansan, M. and Pessar, P. R. (2006), A Glass Half Full? Gender in Migration Studies. International Migration Review, 40: 3–26. doi: 10.1111/j.1747-7379.2006.00001.x
- Issue published online: 13 MAR 2006
- Article first published online: 13 MAR 2006
- 1905 Employment of Women in Industries: 12th Census Statistics. Chicago: University of Chicago Press. Microform Reel 943, No. 8580. , and
- 2003 Remaking the American Mainstream: Assimilation and Contemporary Immigration. Cambridge MA: Harvard University Press. , and
- 2003 America's Newcomers and the Dynamics of Diversity. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , and
- 2003 “Women and Migration: Incorporating Gender into International Migration Theory.” Migration Information Source. <http://www.migrationinformation.org/Feature/display.cfm?id=106>. , and
- 1992 “Anthropology and the Study of Immigrant Women.” In Seeking Common Ground. Ed. D.Gabaccia. Westport CT: Greenwood Press. Pp. 41–63. , and
- 1909 Women and the Trades: Pittsburgh, 1907–1908. New York: Charities Publication Committee.
- 1910 Homestead: The Households of a Mill Town. New York: Charities Publication Committee.
- 1988 Jane Addams and the Men of the Chicago School, 1892–1918. New Brunswick NJ: Transaction Books.
- 1992 “Why Some Countries Send Men.” In Seeking Common Ground: Multidisciplinary Studies of Immigrant Women in the United States. ed. D.Gabaccia. Westport CT: Greenwood Press.
- 1970 Rosa: The Life of an Italian Immigrant. Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press.
- 1996 “Women of the Mass Migrations: From Minority to Majority, 1820–1930.” In European Migrants: Global and Local Perspectives. Ed. L. Moch. Boston: Northeastern University Press.
- 1992 Seeking Common Ground: Multidisciplinary Studies of Immigrant Women in the United States. Westport CT: Greenwood Press.
- 1989 Immigrant Women in the United States: A Selectively Annotated Multidisciplinary Bibliography. New York: Greenwood Press.
- 1995 “Women's Labor and Enclave Employment: The Case of Dominican and Colombian Women in New York City.” International Migration Review 29(3):657–671.
- 1991 Between Two Islands: Dominican International Migration. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and
- 1996 Pittsburgh Surveyed: Social Science and Social Reform in the Early Twentieth Century. Pittsburgh PA: University of Pittsburgh Press. , and
- 2001“Immigration and Population Movement.” Statement on Research Priorities presented at the Long Ranging Planning Workshop, Demographic and Behavioral Sciences Branch, NICHD. <http://www.nichd.nih.gov/about/cpr/dbs/sp/hirshman.htm>.
- 1994 Gendered Transitions: Mexican Experiences of Immigration. Berkeley: University of California Press.
- 2003 Gender and U.S. Immigration: Contemporary Trends. Berkeley: University of California Press. ., ed.
- 1984 “Female Predominance in Immigration to the United States since 1930: A First Look.” International Migration Review 18(1):902–925. et al.
- Inheriting the City: Immigrant Origins, American Lives. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , , Forthcoming.
- 2002 “Immigrant Place Entrepreneurs in Los Angeles, 1970–1999.” International Journal of Urban and Regional Research 26: 215–228.
- 2004 “The Significance of Race in the Urban Labor Market: A Study of Employers.” In Immigrant Life in the U.S.: A Multidisciplinary Analysis. ed. D.R.Gabaccia and C.W.Leach. New York: Routledge.
- 2003 Hopeful Girls, Troubled Boys: Race and Gender Disparity in Urban Education. New York: Routledge.
- 1995 “The Gender of Theory.” In Women Writing Culture. ed. R.Behar and D. Gorrdon. Berkeley: University of California Press. Pp. 249–266.
- 2001 “Gendered Geographies of Power: Analyzing Gender Across Transnational Spaces.” Identities: Global Studies in Culture and Power 7(4):441–459. , and
- 1930 The Immigrant Woman and Her Job. Washington DC: U.S. G.P.O. Reprint, Arno Press, 1970.
- 1907 Wage-Earners’ Budgets: A Study of Standards and Cost of Living in New York City. New York: H. Holt.
- 1984 “Birds of Passage Are Also Women . . .” International Migration Review, Special Issue: Women in Migration 18(4):887.
- 1983 “Women in Migration: Beyond the Reductionist Outlook.” In One Way Ticket: Migration and Female Labour. ed. A.Phizacklea. London: Routledge and Kegan Paul. Pp. 13–31.
- 2005 “Migration and Gender among Mexican Women.” American Sociological Review 4(70):606–632. , and
- 1995 A Visa for a Dream: Dominicans in the United States. New York: Allyn and Bacon.
- 1979 Birds of Passage: Migrant Labor in Industrial Society. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- 1989 “The Enclave and the Entrants: Patterns of Ethnic Enterprise in Miami Before and After Mariel.” American Sociological Review 54: 929–949. , and
- 2001 Legacies: The Story of the Immigrant Second Generation. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , and
- 1996 Immigrant America: A Portrait. Berkeley: University of California Press. , and
- 1993 “The New Second Generation: Segmented Assimilation and Its Variants.” Annals of the American Academy of Political and Social Science 530: 74–96. , and
- 1885 “The Laws of Migration.” Journal of the Statistical Society of London 48: 167–235.
- 1974 Woman, Culture, and Society. Stanford CA: Stanford University Press. , and , eds.
- 2000 “Immigration Research in the United States: Social Origins and Future Orientations.” In Immigration Research for a New Century: Multidisciplinary Perspectives. Ed. N.Foner, R.Rumbaut, and S.Gold. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- 2001 Ethnicities: Children of Immigrants in America. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. , and
- 1996 “Toward a Feminist Analytics of the Global Economy.” Indiana Journal of Global Legal Studies 4: 7–41.
- 1986 International Migration: The Female Experience. Totowa NJ: Rowman and Allanheld. , and , eds.
- 2001 “Shifting Identities and Intergenerational Conflict: Growing Up Haitian in Miami.” In Ethnicities: Children of Immigrants in America. Ed. A. Portes. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- 1978 Women, Work, and Family. New York: Holt, Rinehart and Winston. , and .
- 192931 International Migrations. New York: National Bureau of Economic Research.
- 1913 Artificial Flower Makers. New York: Survey Associates, Inc.
- 1977 Family and Community: Italian Immigrants in Buffalo, 1880–1930. Ithaca NY: Cornell University Press.
- 2001 Thinking Orientals: Migration, Contact, and Exoticism in Modern America. Oxford and New York: Oxford University Press.