The work reported here was funded through a Small Grant from the University of California-Davis supported by the Economic Research Service of the US Department of Agriculture, grant no. K-981834-10. The data were collected through a grant from the National Institutes of Health, grant no. HD 29549.
The Relationship Between Food Insecurity and Obesity in Rural Childbearing Women
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
© 2008 National Rural Health Association
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 60–66, Winter 2008
How to Cite
Olson, C. M. and Strawderman, M. S. (2008), The Relationship Between Food Insecurity and Obesity in Rural Childbearing Women. The Journal of Rural Health, 24: 60–66. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2008.00138.x
For further information, contact: Christine M. Olson, PhD, Division of Nutritional Sciences, 376 MVR Hall, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY 14853; e-mail email@example.com.
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
- 4Obesity in rural women: emerging risk factors and hypotheses. In: CowardRT, DavisLA, GoldCH, Smiciklas-WrightH, ThorndykeLE, VondracekFW, eds. Rural Women's Health. Mental, Behavioral, and Physical Issues. New York , NY : Springer Publishing Company; 2006;63-81., .
- 6Urban and Rural Health Chartbook. Health, United States, 2001. Hyattsville , Md : National Center for Health Statistics; 2001., , , et al.
- 10Household Food Security in the United States, 2006 (Economic Research Report 49). Washington, DC : Economic Research Service, U.S. Department of Agriculture; 2007., , .
- 14Nutritional Consequences of Food Insecurity in a Rural New York State County. Madison , Wis : Institute for Research on Poverty, University of Wisconsin-Madison; 1997. Discussion Paper no. 1120-97., , , .
- 15Food insufficiency and the prevalence of overweight among adult women. Fam Econ Nutr Rev. 2003;15(2):55-57..
- 16Self-reported concern about food security associated with obesityWashington 1995–1999. Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52(35):840-842..
- 17How can Californians be overweight and hungry? Calif Agric. 2004;58(1):12-17., , , et al.
- 20Socioeconomic Trends and Well-Being Indicators in New York State, 1950–2000. Albany , NY : The NYS Legislative Commission on Rural Resources; 2004., .
- 24Institute of Medicine. Nutrition during Pregnancy and Lactation. An Implementation Guide. Washington , DC : National Academy Press; 1992.
- 25Guide to Measuring Household Food Security (Rev 2000). Alexandria , Va : Food and Nutrition Service, US Department of Agriculture; 2000., , , , .
- 26WHO Consultation on Obesity. Obesity: Preventing and Managing the Global Epidemic. Geneva , Switzerland : World Health Organization; 2000. WHO Technical Report Series 894.
- 30A Primer in Longitudinal Data Analysis. Thousand Oaks , Calif : Sage Publications Inc.; 2000..
- 31Healthy People 2010. Available at: http://www.healthypeople.gov/Document/HTML/Volume2/19Nutrition.htm_TOC490383122. Accessed September 5, 2006.