This research was supported by the National Cancer Institute (R01 CA108696). We appreciate greatly the participation of the women of eastern Kentucky. For further information, contact: Nancy E. Schoenberg, PhD, Department of Behavioral Science, 125 College of Medicine Office Building, University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY 40536-0086; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Appalachian Women's Perceptions of Their Community's Health Threats
Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
© 2008 National Rural Health Association
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 24, Issue 1, pages 75–83, Winter 2008
How to Cite
Schoenberg, N. E., Hatcher, J. and Dignan, M. B. (2008), Appalachian Women's Perceptions of Their Community's Health Threats. The Journal of Rural Health, 24: 75–83. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2008.00140.x
- Issue published online: 1 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 1 FEB 2008
- 1Understanding and applying theory in health promotion practice and research. In: DiClementeRJ, CrosbyRA, KeglerMC, eds. Emerging Theories in Health Promotion Practice and Research. San Francisco, Calif : Jossey-Bass; 2002:1-16., , .
- 3National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences. National Institutes of Health. Available at: http://www.niehs.nih.gov/about/od/otr/. Accessed September 27, 2006.
- 4Rural women's satisfaction and stress as family health gatekeepers. Womens Health. 1998;28:2., , , .
- 5United States Department of Agriculture. Available at: http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/RuralUrbanContinuumCodes/2003/RuralUrbanCodes2003.xls. Accessed October 3, 2006.
- 6Appalachian Regional Commission. Available at: http://www.arc.gov/index.do?nodeId=2303. Accessed October 1, 2006.
- 7Gender and household economic strategies in rural Appalachia: gender, place, and culture. 1995;2(1):51-70..
- 8Kentucky State Data Center, Available at: http://ksdc.louisville.edu/. Accessed January 15, 2006.
- 9The cancer prevention and control research network. Prev Chronic Dis. [serial online] 2005. Jan. Available from: URL: http://www.cdc.gov/pcd/issues/2005/jan/04_0059.htm., , , , , , et al.
- 10Waging democracy in the kingdom of coal: OVEC and the movement for social and environmental justice in central Appalachia. Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Center for Folklife and Ethnography.. Available at: http://leadership- forchange.org/insights/research/files/OVEC.pdf. Accessed October 3, 2006..
- 14Qualitative Research Design: An Interactive Approach. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks , Calif : Sage; 2005..
- 15Dictionary of Qualitative Inquiry. 2nd ed. Thousand Oaks , Calif : Sage; 2001..
- 16Basics of Qualitative Research: Grounded Theory Procedures and Techniques. Thousand Oaks , Calif : Sage; 1990., .
- 17Using codes and code manuals: a template organizing style of interpretation. In: CrabtreeBF, MillerWL, eds. Doing Qualitative Research. Thousand Oaks , Calif : Sage; 1999:163-177., .
- 18Eastern Kentucky, painkiller capital. Lexington Herald-Leader. 2003 January 19..
- 19Appalachian substance abuse strategic initiative. Final Report. Appalachian Regional Commission. Vol. 10. 2002 December 10..
- 20Mental health service delivery in rural areas: organizational and clinical issues. NIDA Research Monograph, 1997. Available at: http://www.drugabuse.gov/pdf/monographs/Monograph168/418--437_Wagenfeld.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2006., , , .
- 21The special place of rural America. NIDA Monograph, 1997. Available at: http://www.drugabuse.gov/pdf/monographs/Monograph168/037--052_Conger.pdf. Accessed October 4, 2006..
- 22KY Cabinet for Health and Family Services, Department of Public Health. Kentucky County Health Profiles; 2002. Frankfort , KY : Kentucky Cabinet for Health and Family Services. Available at: http://chfs.ky.gov/dph/epi/cohealthprofiles.htm. Accessed October 3, 2006.
- 23Kentucky 2002 Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System (BRFSS). Report available at: http://cfhs.ky.gov. Accessed October 4, 2006.
- 24Behavioral Risk Factor Surveillance System [database on the Internet]. Atlanta , GA : Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.; Available at: http://apps.need.cdc.gov/brfss/index.asp. Accessed October 15, 2006.
- 28National Institute of Environmental Health Sciences [homepage on Internet]. Washington , DC : Division of Extramural Research and Training (DERT). Avilable at http://www.niehs.nih.gov/research/supported/dert/. Accessed September 23, 2006.
- 30Unlawful Narcotics Investigation Treatment and Education [homepage on the Internet]. Somerset , KY : The Center for Rural Development; Available at: http://www.operationunite.org. Accessed January 18, 2006.