This study was funded by Cooperative Agreement no. 90-AM-0756 from the Administration on Aging (Dr. Allery) and NCI grant no. 1U01 CA114642-01, which supports the Native People for Cancer Control Community Networks Program (Dr. Buchwald, Mr. Bogart). The authors also wish to thank the many AI/AN elders who generously gave their time to participate in the survey. The paper was also funded by NIH. For further information, contact: Kyle J. Muus, Research Associate, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, University of North Dakota Center for Rural Health, 501 North Columbia Road, Grand Forks, ND 58203; e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Body Mass Index and Cancer Screening in Older American Indian and Alaska Native Men
Article first published online: 23 DEC 2008
© 2009 National Rural Health Association
The Journal of Rural Health
Volume 25, Issue 1, pages 104–108, Winter 2009
How to Cite
Muus, K. J., Baker-Demaray, T., McDonald, L. R., Ludtke, R. L., Allery, A. J., Bogart, T. A., Goldberg, J., Ramsey, S. D. and Buchwald, D. S. (2009), Body Mass Index and Cancer Screening in Older American Indian and Alaska Native Men. The Journal of Rural Health, 25: 104–108. doi: 10.1111/j.1748-0361.2009.00206.x
- Issue published online: 23 DEC 2008
- Article first published online: 23 DEC 2008
- 1American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures, 2006. Atlanta , GA : American Cancer Society; 2006.
- 2American Cancer Society. Cancer Facts & Figures, 2005. Atlanta , GA : American Cancer Society; 2005.
- 6Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health Characteristics of the American Indian and Alaska Native Adult Population: United States, 1999-2003. Advance data (356), Table 2. Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/ad/ad356.pdf. 2005. Accessed May 30, 2008.
- 14American College of Physicians. Rural primary care. Ann Intern Med. 1995;122:380-390.
- 16Indian Health Service. IHS Fact Sheet. Rockville , MD : Indian Health Service; 2007.
- 20CDC. Behavioral risk factor surveillance system: Prevalence data. Available at: http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/brfss/index.asp. 2004. Accessed May 30, 2008.
- 24Obesity and American Indians/Alaska Natives. Washington , DC : Department of Health and Human Services. Available at: http://aspe.hhs.gov/hsp/07/AI-AN-obesity/report.pdf. 2007. Accessed May 30, 2008.
- 25Indian Health Service. Indian Population. Rockville , MD : Indian Health Service; 2007.